PDA

View Full Version : At what age do you trust kids to bathe/shower themselves?

cilantromapuche
04-10-2011, 05:18 PM
I mean to trust that they cleaned themselves thoroughly? Also, what do you wash your kids faces with as they get older?
I am realizing that we are still doing things for our oldest that he can probably do for himself--just out of habit.
When do kids start washing thier faces with soap so their pores don't get clogged?
I am realizing that our kids are growing up!!!

rin
04-10-2011, 05:26 PM
My DD is not quite a year, so I can't speak to that, but I was always taught that it's not good at any age to wash your face with soap because it dries your skin out and upsets the pH balance of your skin. I never ever use soap on my face and always just clean it with plain water and then put on a moisterizer (and have always gotten compliments on my skin even from random strangers). I know that some skin types do better with a gentle cleanser rather than just the plain water approach, but my understanding is that regardless of skin type using soap on your face is a fast ticket to wrinkles.

crl
04-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Eh, I started letting ds shower all by himself at about six and a half. He's always been a bit behind on self care type things though so that may be on the late side. It helps that he is a boy with short hair. I'd think long hair would really complicate the hair washing.

Catherine

wencit
04-10-2011, 05:36 PM
DS1 started washing himself in the shower a few months shy of age 5, so maybe 4 3/4? He has a pretty simple routine, though -- baby wash on his body, then a combo shampoo + conditioner on his hair. That's it. Nothing but water on his face.

Green_Tea
04-10-2011, 05:38 PM
My kids started being responsible for washing their own bodies at around 4.5 or 5 years old. My DS just started doing it for himself. My 6 and 8 year old DDs wash their own hair (I check at the end to make sure they got all the soap out.) All three of them shower instead of taking a bath.

JBaxter
04-10-2011, 05:41 PM
about 6 I think. I give a squeeze of shampoo or he uses a lot

Jo..
04-10-2011, 05:41 PM
I stick my kids in the tub together and remind them: Wash your penis, wash your vulva, wash your butt, wash your feet, wash your face, wash your ears. I am always RIGHT THERE, but they clean themselves (ages 2.5 and 4.5).

egoldber
04-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Older DD could wash herself pretty early, but washing her long hair took longer. She wanted to go to sleep away camp at age 7 (almost 8) and a condition of that was she had to learn to shower independently, including her hair. So age 7 for her.

ETA: Older DD uses Cetaphil to wash her face because she has very sensitive skin. She uses a Method body wash right now for her body in the shower. But we had to stop using the more natural shampoos because she couldn't rinse them well enough.

squimp
04-10-2011, 06:03 PM
I just got some Cetaphil for DD to use on her face in the a.m. She was good in the shower since she was about 5 or so, years of swimming and showering with me and her friends.

wellyes
04-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Wash your penis, wash your vulva, wash your butt, wash your feet, wash your face, wash your ears.

But hopefully not in that order!

KrisM
04-10-2011, 06:30 PM
About age 4.5 for both so far. DS1 is 7 this month and does everything on his own.

JBaxter
04-10-2011, 06:43 PM
I stick my kids in the tub together and remind them: Wash your penis, wash your vulva, wash your butt, wash your feet, wash your face, wash your ears. I am always RIGHT THERE, but they clean themselves (ages 2.5 and 4.5).

Jo thats NASTY butt before face.... EEEEWWWWWW

bubbaray
04-10-2011, 06:47 PM
DD#1 is turning 7 and she just recently started asking to shower by herself. She can do the whole thing (hair, cleaning) without coaching now. We've been working on it for about a year, mainly at swimming. She seems to prefer showering herself now without help. I still do a hair check, mainly to make sure the conditioner is distributed evenly, not just in a big blog on the forehead, LOL.

fortato
04-10-2011, 06:49 PM

In that order? ;)

Always wash from the top down...hair,face, boobs, butt, feet.

erosenst
04-10-2011, 06:58 PM
I'd think long hair would really complicate the hair washing.

It definitely does. DD, now 7.25, has been able to wash her body for quite a while. However, she has mid-back length very curly hair, and can't begin to wash it herself. DH thinks it's ridiculous, as he knows of a couple of girls DD's age who can do their own hair. Of course, it's stick straight and bobbed...

I try to refrain from reminding DH that he still doesn't do a good job of it (still can't understand how to do the conditioner in long curly hair - small strands at a time - he scrubs it in like he does on his all-but-shaved hair). When it's not done right, it's hard to brush post shower, and very difficult the next morning.

liz
04-10-2011, 06:59 PM
but my understanding is that regardless of skin type using soap on your face is a fast ticket to wrinkles.

Oy, I guess I'm screwed.

alexsmommy
04-10-2011, 07:03 PM
DS1 was five, but that was also when we started keeping his hair so short that just rinsing was fine. DS2 actually does a great job, but I'm in there with him because he showers with DS3 - yes, DS3, he thinks he's as big as his brothers and screams when we try to give him a bath, so what the heck, a shower is easier and faster anyway. I'm so happy all three can do quick hose downs this summer when we stay out late, they play hard and are dirty and smelly but we are all tired and have no desire to run baths.

Um, yeah, Jo - top down LOL.

ilfaith
04-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Eh, I started letting ds shower all by himself at about six and a half. He's always been a bit behind on self care type things though so that may be on the late side. It helps that he is a boy with short hair. I'd think long hair would really complicate the hair washing.

Same here...My almost seven year-old DS started showering on his own a few months ago. My four and a half-year-old can manage in the shower if I am there to talk him through it...but most of the time I just throw him in the bathtub with his little brother while my oldest showers in the other bathroom.

Twoboos
04-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Apparently 7.5, DD1 announced today that she would shower by herself. She seems to have done a good job.

SnuggleBuggles
04-10-2011, 07:15 PM
We started around 6 yo. Yes I still wash his face sometimes but not normally. Beth

Jo..
04-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Eh. What's a little bit of butt on the face gonna hurt? :hysterical:

I don't worry about what order they do it in. It all gets soap and water!

fortato
04-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Eh. What's a little bit of butt on the face gonna hurt? :hysterical:

That's what he said.

lalasmama
04-10-2011, 08:35 PM
What funny timing. DD is in the bath now. She turned 7 in Feb. She's allowed to wash herself, but still needs help with her hair. She's been washing herself without my help since turning 6 or so.

I will wash her face with baby bath wash or Dove only if she's had a messy, staining meal (ie, tomato-based sauces)....

Lovingliv
04-10-2011, 08:46 PM

Just a bit of order issue.....

Lovingliv
04-10-2011, 08:47 PM
That's what he said.

Love stinky butt on my face.....ewwwwww. LOL!

niccig
04-11-2011, 03:34 AM
DS did it all tonight by himself and he was 6 in December. I'm still going to stick my head in and make sure he does certain things properly..

He also cooked dinner tonight - scrambled eggs. My mother taught him how over Christmas. He just needs help pouring milk into the bowl and then pouring the egg mixture into the pan. But he does all the stirring. Apparently Granny has a certain technique of how to mix the egg yolks and then stir them in the pan. They're very tasty. I told him he can cook more than some adults can!

MaiseyDog
04-11-2011, 02:46 PM
I try to refrain from reminding DH that he still doesn't do a good job of it (still can't understand how to do the conditioner in long curly hair - small strands at a time - he scrubs it in like he does on his all-but-shaved hair). When it's not done right, it's hard to brush post shower, and very difficult the next morning.

Oh, do tell. DD2 has curly hair and I have NO idea what to do with it. I've been just putting conditioner in it like I do for DD1's but you are right, it's a mess in the morning.

essnce629
04-11-2011, 03:57 PM
DS1 is 7 1/2 and started taking independent showers this year. He still comes out with soap in his hair sometimes and sometimes I question whether he's washed his hair at all and I have him get back in, but usually he's good on his own. He has eczema so I think we waited longer with him since we have to slather his entire body with Vanicream when he gets out. He just started doing that on his own too since I'm always busy with DS2 at that time. If DBF is home, he'll put his cream on.

DrSally
04-11-2011, 06:04 PM
4.5-5yo for DS

Binkandabee
04-11-2011, 06:59 PM
DD#1 started taking showers at about 5.5 years old. I still wash her hair because it's long and thick, but she takes care of body and face. I do remind her to wash her body, but all I say is "Wash your body". She smells clean, so I'm guessing she does a good job!

kboyle
04-11-2011, 07:18 PM
about 6 I think. I give a squeeze of shampoo or he uses a lot

same here...i squeeze on the shampoo, have them rub it in and rinse, have them stick out their hand, and i squeeze out some soap...tell them "pits, penis & pooper" and they rinse.

my boys have ALOT of hair, so if they are xtra grimey (like in summer) i tend to do the soaping up.

DrSally
04-11-2011, 09:16 PM
DS also sticks his hand/washrag out and I squeeze the soap. Sometimes I tell him--face, hair, arms, tummy, etc. He resists, but once he's in there, he doesn't want to leave.

erosenst
04-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Oh, do tell.

A few things:

* Not all curly hair is the same, and what works for one doesn't work for all
* Having said that, finding the products that work is really key
* We've had good luck with Herbal Essence Totally Twisted shampoo and the same brand conditioner. It's really cheap, so worth a try. If that doesn't work well, keep trying. Ask around in your area - part of it is the water.

With that out of the way -

*Shampoo and rinse hair as usual
*Get a good size dollop (really good sized, likely) of conditioner, and smooth it on the top of her hair, and down the length
*Taking one pretty small section at a time (maybe an inch or so wide) use your fingers to start at the top, and smooth your way to the ends, going all the way through the hair. When that's smooth, separate that bunch into 2-4 smaller sections and quickly run your fingers through that. Keep working your way around. When it's all smooth, not knotty, take one more pass through in bigger sections. (You're trying to coat as many strands as possible.)
* Rinse, running your fingers through again as you rinse

Finish the shower, then squeeze the water out. Towel dry, then brush with a wide brush - like one you might use for blow drying. If it's really wet, towel and brush once more. Don't blow dry it - it will just get frizzy unless you're willing to diffuse it or dry it straight. If it bothers her, put it in a loose rubber band for bed - but it will air dry more quickly without the rubber band.

When you brush in the morning, spray with water or No More Tangles before using a wide tooth brush (again, like one you might use for blow drying).

Good luck!