PDA

View Full Version : Beginning to think DS1 might have ADD--where to start?

DebbieJ
04-10-2011, 07:19 PM
My DH has ADD and now our DS1 is exhibiting symptoms more and more often. I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed by it all. I have suspected it for a while now, but when DH said something today, it confirmed for me that we have to check things out.

Now where do I start for DS1? Do I get him evaluated? Talk to our family doc?

Someone please help me because all I want to do is cry. You know that saying "God won't give you more than you can handle." Someone please let God know that I've had enough, thankyouverymuch.

Indianamom2
04-10-2011, 07:29 PM
I am sorry you're feeling overwhelmed. If it's any consolation, I'm right there with you, with a DH with major anxiety and a DD with major anxiety, plus other, soon to be diagnosed, issues.

I would start by going to your pedi and explaining your concerns. Likely he/she will refer you to a developmental pedi who can do the appropriate testing. At least, this is the process we are going through with DD right now.

I suppose if your Ds is in school, they might do testing there as well.

Hang in there...you'll make it through this.:hug:

SnuggleBuggles
04-10-2011, 07:34 PM
(((())))the teacher suspected something was off, had the schoo counselor observe, took that assessment to a psychologist. They dx the ADD there though it was not a slam dunk dx. Seeing how this year we barely ever see any of the symptoms I am starting to think he was just a young boy. I would ask your ped for a rec as the place we went offered meds or nothing. Not terribly helpful as we didn't want to do meds. Your ped can guide you to a good choice for your preferences with that regard. It was hard to get a label and think your kid may just not be "normal".

Beth

vludmilla
04-10-2011, 08:08 PM
A good diagnosis of ADHD or ADD involves someone skilled getting a good psychosocial history from you, some rating scales from you and teachers (a kind of self-report testing) and the ruling out of other possible causes for the inattention or hyperactivity. Most pediatricians do not have the specialized training to do this, although some may. I would start with the pediatrician if you like him/her but expect to see a psychologist or neurologist for the actual diagnosis. There are other conditions/issues that can appear to be ADHD/ADD so it is important to have someone with specialized training tease that out. I think Beth (SnuggleBuggles) experience might bear that out.

daisymommy
04-10-2011, 09:32 PM
(((HUGS))) Deb. I know this is hard, but you can do it! You already know how to get along with and help a DH who has ADD, so it will come a little easier for you than parents with no prior experience. That was my "every cloud has a silver lining" pep talk :)

MY DS#1 who is about the same age as yours IIR, has ADHD too. It's not fun or easy, but we have learned alot to help him and we're doing okay!

I agree with what the previous-posters have said in terms of getting a diagnosis.

Our dev. ped. said she doesn't like to give medication until kids have gone on the Feingold Diet for 4-6 weeks. It really does help. Several moms here on the BBB have their kids on it too. Do a search.

I hope you find the answers you need! Hang in there!

SnuggleBuggles
04-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Our dev. ped. said she doesn't like to give medication until kids have gone on the Feingold Diet for 4-6 weeks. It really does help. Several moms here on the BBB have their kids on it too. Do a search.

As soon as the psychologist ruled out Aspergers and felt pretty sure about ADD instead, she sent us to the in house psychiatrist. He read what they sent from school, met with us and ds, and had us do a paper assessment. I really, really feeling more sure that this was a place where they would give you a dx and meds only. Never once did they suggest an alternative plan. And, the special ed. director at our school reviewed what the psychiatrist had sent and was perplexed as to how undetailed and unhelpful his assessment was. I guess the reports are usually like 5 pages long and ds1's was a whopping 1 page. Bottom line- go somewhere good. :)

Beth

wimama
04-10-2011, 10:11 PM
(((HUGS))) Deb. I know this is hard, but you can do it! You already know how to get along with and help a DH who has ADD, so it will come a little easier for you than parents with no prior experience. That was my "every cloud has a silver lining" pep talk :)

MY DS#1 who is about the same age as yours IIR, has ADHD too. It's not fun or easy, but we have learned alot to help him and we're doing okay!

I agree with what the previous-posters have said in terms of getting a diagnosis.

I hope you find the answers you need! Hang in there!

My DS has some definate ADD symptoms, but we haven't had him diagnosed yet. But, we started him on the Feingold Diet when he was 3 1/2 years old. It made a huge difference in him. His attention span improved, his impulsiveness decreased, he could fall asleep easier, and his fine motor improved greatly.

I figure if my son's symptoms become more problematic, then we will seek a diagnosis. But, for now he seems to do pretty well with just the dietary changes we have made.

Good luck getting the answers you need!

Momof3Labs
04-10-2011, 10:36 PM
((((Deb))))

You really don't need this. What does lil B's teacher think? That's where I would start. I've had similar worries about DS1 given Dh's diagnosis but I go back and forth and think probably not.

DH works tomorrow but you're welcome to come by tomorrow evening if you need to escape.

DebbieJ
04-10-2011, 11:14 PM

Oh, how I wish that was true. :gloomy:

lalasmama
04-10-2011, 11:17 PM
:hug: I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. DD had ADHD and it was so frustrating trying to navigate which way to go and how to do it.

For us, we started with her regular pediatrician. We filled out the Vanderbilt assessment (For Parents: http://www.able-differently.org/PDF_forms/contactus/VanderBilt%20Behavior%20Evalutation%20Scale%20for% 20Parents.pdf And for Teacher: http://www.brightfutures.org/mentalhealth/pdf/professionals/bridges/adhd.pdf ). Because DD was young when her symptoms started, we then went to a psych, then developmental pediatrician as well. As a PP said, speak with the teacher as well. S/he will likely have good insight.

DebbieJ
04-10-2011, 11:20 PM
((((Deb))))

You really don't need this. What does lil B's teacher think? That's where I would start. I've had similar worries about DS1 given Dh's diagnosis but I go back and forth and think probably not.

DH works tomorrow but you're welcome to come by tomorrow evening if you need to escape.

Good idea. I will ask his teacher for a conference.

B has b-ball practice tomorrow and D's sleeping is way out of whack right now, so getting out is going to be difficult. :(

DebbieJ
04-11-2011, 12:42 AM
Looking at Feingold, do I really have to buy $100 worth of materials to give it a try?

wimama
04-11-2011, 08:09 AM
When I signed up with the Feingold Association I bought the package with the book "Why Can't my Child Behave". I enjoyed reading the book and I found it helpful. But, the $82 package is the minimum you need to get started. For us the cost was well worth it.

We saw a difference in our DS behavior pretty much right away. But, many kids actually go throw a peroid of withdraw for 4-6 weeks and their behavior will get worse for that time period. My DS is a pretty classic kid as far as Feingold goes. He is even sensitive to the stage 2 fruits eliminated in the first stage of the diet. He can handle some stage 2 fruits now, just certain ones and not too much of them. I do highly recommend trying Feingold and strictly sticking to the Stage 1 diet, rather than trying to make diet changes on your own. That way you will truely know if the diet changes help or not.