PDA

View Full Version : Need infant seat for Baby #3

gatormomx2
04-10-2011, 10:17 PM
I am in need of advice.

Baby #3 is due with the month and I need a new seat. Previous infant seat I had was a Snugride circa '03-04 and was a 20# limit. I used it for DD#1 and DD#2- both moved to a Roundabout around 6-7 months. It has expired and I would like to get a new infant seat. There are many new choices out there. I have a Marathon that baby #3 will move too when it outgrows the infant carrier and I expect to do that around 6-8 months since baby and carrier just get to heavy to lug after that point.

What are the best choices? I have been looking at Snugrides again but see that there are 4 weight limits. Are some models being discontinued? I am having a hard time finding the SR 22 in stores.

I drive a 2010 Odyssey so space is not an issue. DD#1 is 7, 50# and in a Turbo booster. She will more than likely move the the 3rd row. DD#2 (will be 3 in June), is 27# and FF in a Marathon. DD#2 and new baby will be in 2nd row captains chairs. (I have 2 Marathons total)

TIA

Joolsplus2
04-11-2011, 08:08 AM
Hi and congratulations on your new little bean :)

Snugride 22 is all but gone, it's been replaced by the much improved SR30 (has lower bottom slots, higher top slots) and 35 (same as the safeseat1, SR32, and Teutonia infant seats).
The only complaint I have about the Snugride 30 is that they lengthened the height of the shell, but left the handle the same size, so every time you put it up or down, it drags the canopy with it in an annoying way. The 35 is a tad heavier, but fits kids to much taller heights. I know you said carrying the baby in a seat is too heavy after they are 6-8 months, but consider that you might be busier with two older kids, and maybe want the convenience of snapping a seat into a snugrider/snap n go/almost any stroller that takes a seat for longer than you did before. Just depends on how well you can juggle your schedule to work around naptime and older kids activities...but that would be one reason to go with the 35 with it's very high height limit, it could last as long as 18 months, and even if you rarely get it out of the car at that point, there may be one or two occasions where it saves you from disturbing a much needed nap.
Anyway, they are both great, the Chicco Key Fit is also quite lovely and I highly recommend that one, too :)

gatormomx2
04-11-2011, 09:26 AM
I noticed in the store that the SR30 has a tight area for the head. It look very confining. Have there been issues with this?

Joolsplus2
04-11-2011, 12:23 PM
I haven't heard of any issues with it yet with bigger kids, unfortunately the seat hasn't been out long enough for most kids to be pushing the maximum limits and complain about it, yet! I suspect it would really just prevent a good deal of head flop when sleeping, though. Here's what it looks like with the cover pealed back... https://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/Snugride30Brownstone#5519418650641137330

BeccaB-D
04-12-2011, 03:41 PM
We own a Teutonia T-Tario 35 for our new baby (gift from DH's best friend and his DH) It's a great seat.
The same as the Graco Snugride 35, but with a very nice cover and a privacy shade in the canopy (love this feature, keeps people from touching my baby)

It's nice and big, my twin boys still fit in this seat quite comfy (tried this just for fun before baby was born)

We are planning to use it until she no longer fits in it.