PDA

View Full Version : Weird sleep question

Mommy Of A Little Angel
04-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Dd1 who is almost 5 has been a great sleeper for most of her life. She generally sleeps 11-12 hours at night and naps once or twice a week. She is a sleep talker but not walker. Recently I have noticed she has no concept of if she has been asleep or not. For instance, nap time is something I encourage on days she is extra tired so I have her try to sleep and if she can't I will let her have quiet time instead. Inevitably on the days she falls asleep she wakes up asking if she has tried long enough yet. I know she slept because many times I fall asleep with her but she seems to have no idea. More than once she has woke up crying that she tried really hard and just can't sleep so I am sure she genuinely thinks she didn't nap. Tonight we let her fall asleep in our bed and DH carried her up (asleep) a few hours later. When he left her room he heard her crying and asked what was wrong. She was upset because we promised she could fall asleep in our bed and we didn't let her.

So, is it normal for an almost 5 year old for not know they've been asleep or is there something else I should be concerned about?

Thanks!

Mommy Of A Little Angel
04-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Bumping, anyone?

Fairy
04-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Seems totally normal from where I'm sitting. My 6yo does the same thing now and then, has no idea that he's been asleep and will wake up when I'm checkign on him and say he just can't sleep. It's cute. It's a matter of just explaining that you often don't know you've been sleeping, but really honey, you were asleep. Totally normal.

MommyAllison
04-11-2011, 07:34 PM
My 5 year old does the same thing sometimes. She'll get up in the morning after sleeping 11 hours and say "Mom, I barely slept at all last night". After a nap, she'll come out and say "Is rest time over? I just laid there and couldn't fall asleep". FWIW, DH says I do the same thing - wake up an hour or two after falling asleep and ask him to turn off his computer and come to bed because it's keeping me awake. ;) I vote normal.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
04-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Thank you both! It is pretty cute when she does it but I feel bad when it upsets her! You made me feel much better!

npace19147
04-11-2011, 09:34 PM
My DD1 insists that she never sleeps at night, and gets very offended when we try to tell her otherwise. :rolleyes:

hillview
04-12-2011, 09:24 AM
My DD1 insists that she never sleeps at night, and gets very offended when we try to tell her otherwise. :rolleyes:
:yeahthat:
DS1 does this too! "I don't sleep at night"
/hillary