PDA

View Full Version : How have you celebrated 8 year old birthday?

deborah_r
04-11-2011, 12:11 AM
I'm trying to decide what to do for K's birthday and wanted to know what others have done for 8 years old?

My apartment is not an option, too small; I was thinking a bouncer at the park, but I'm starting to worry that if people do drop-off, I won't be able to keep track of all the kids.

So anyway, I'd love to hear what others have done! And I can't freaking' believe I have an almost 8 year old...how did THAT happen???

justlearning
04-11-2011, 12:17 AM
We have recently celebrated DS's friends 8-year-old boy birthday parties at a bowling alley, Chuck E. Cheese, local amusement park, and an xtreme sports center.

My son hasn't been to a party with a bounce house since he was 5 or so. Honestly, I'm not sure how it would go over with an older age group--in our area, it seems to be what toddlers do for their parties. But perhaps it's different in other areas.

ETA that I'd definitely plan on parents dropping their kids off--that seems to be the norm with that age group.

deborah_r
04-11-2011, 12:33 AM
I thought we might be past bouncer age too, but we went to a classmate's party a couple months ago and there was a bouncer and the kids loved it.

I'm researching bowling alley party now. We have a brand new fancy bowling alley here.

new_mommy25
04-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Last year we gave DS the choice between a party and a mini vacation. He chose vacation so our family went to the Big Island for the weekend.

Around here, drop off isn't the norm. We did attend one party recently where the invitation clearly stated, "We ask that at least one parent stay." So that is an option if you want parents to stay. And it was a bouncy castle at the house and all the eight years olds had a blast. :)

Cam&Clay
04-11-2011, 12:39 AM
DS1 had either a bowling party or we took a few friends to a pro soccer match. Can't remember which was which!

mom2ethan
04-11-2011, 01:43 AM
DS had a Lego party (at home). Recent parties he has gone to have been bowling, miniature golf, indoor swimming, movies, and at a science museum.

MelissaTC
04-11-2011, 07:46 AM
The last couple of parties M has attended have been at a bounce place and these were 9 year old parties. Another big hit around here is the roller rink. Nothing like throwing on some quad skates and cruising around under the disco ball.

egoldber
04-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Well, at 8 I took older DD to AG Place. But probably now what you had in mind. ;) That was in lieu of a party. At 9 we had the kids to California Pizza Kitchen (they do a make your own pizza party with a tour of the kitchens) and then to a movie.

Other popular ideas for age 7-9...

movie (in theater)
bowling
mini golf
sleepover
laser tag
swimming (indoor, rec center)

SnuggleBuggles
04-11-2011, 09:07 AM
8yo- we hosted a water balloon themed party in our yard, ds1's idea. :)

Other parties we have been to for his peers:
bowling
Chuck E Cheese
indoor laser tag
mini golf
movie theater

Beth

ezcc
04-11-2011, 09:52 AM
We did a sleepover, and ds has been to a few of those. Other parties have been rock climbing gym, pool party, nerf dart tag in the backyard, movies. All parties at that age seem to be drop off.

Jen841
04-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Not sure if boy or girl, so I will put out both... At that age I would not expect any parents to stick around.

In my perfect world. I would like to have the number of kids as their age... real world that does not always happen.

YMCA - we had a staff member helping us with the gym time which was good and I served pizza and snacks. While the Y staff was doing their thing I was able to set up the food

My son want to have dinner out with his friends at his favorite restaurant. May do it during a Phillies game and give the kids some $'s for the video games.

A single Mom we know did bowling with 10 or so kids, then walked to the restaurant in the same area.

Years ago we did a party at a pizza place and they gave the kids a tour of the kitchen and the bday boy made a pizza. It was fun and contained.

The local Super Suppers (meal assembly place) does parties, could be fun for kids. My sons would love this!

A single Mom I know did the movies with the kids. She took them to the movies @2 and the parents picked up the kids afterwards. I don't think she seemed stressed at all.

Due to transportation, I would pick a place where you can stay or easily walk to the next place. The smaller the group the more manageable. If you have a local restaurant you know, maybe you could do a meal there as well as an activity (i.e., a Lego Kit per child).

momof2girls
04-11-2011, 12:53 PM
We did a gymnastics party for DD when she turned 8. It was the same party she had when she was 6.
Others we've been to have been at home with themes like "faux sleepover, Webkinz". We've also been tothe many pottery parties for 7- yr olds.

Karenn
04-11-2011, 10:17 PM
DS picked his four closest friends and we took them to see Toy Story for his 8th birthday and then went to dairy queen for Sundaes afterward. It was great.

Tondi G
04-11-2011, 11:22 PM
LASER TAG!!!! It was very popular with the boys when DS1 and his friends turned 8! this is the place we went to for parties http://www.zonehead.com/

Last year when DS turned 9 we did a movie theater birthday. Had all the boys over for pizza ... then we walked down to the movie theater... bought 3 or 4 large popcorns (which had free refills).... poured popcorn into brown lunch bags I had brought with me.... I also brought each child a Capri Sun and a package of M&Ms. The kids loved it! After the movie we walked back to our place... had cake and did the pinata and it just about time for the parents to come pick up their kids. All the boys had a great time.... we had 12 kids total (with little bro and his friend) and my mom came along to help chaperone. It was a great party. So much so that my DS asked if we could do the same thing this year.... we have to see what movies will be in theaters in July!