PDA

View Full Version : Can you get waxed when pregnant?

barkley1
04-11-2011, 09:24 AM
How about self-tanner? I know for sure a tanning bed is a no-no (I don't even do that when not pregnant), but what about the self-tanners or spray tans? I'm so pale, I'm looking sickly - UGH!!!

Waxing, too...I think my hair growth has doubled...it doesn't seem like it would be harmful to me, but I read somewhere not to...why??

lizzywednesday
04-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Waxing is fine; it might hurt a bit more due to increased bloodflow, but it's fine. That increased bloodflow also impacts your hair growth. Everywhere. (It also stinks that the usual "cure" of taking a dose of ibuprofen is off limits, but you could try acetaminophen instead.)

Self-tanner is also fine. I'd do a cream as opposed to a spray to reduce the risks of inhalation, but whatever you're comfortable with should be fine.

AshleyAnn
04-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Sunless tanners are fine.

The hormones affect the skin and make it much easier to wax off the upper layers of the skin along with the hair. Its quite painful, I did it once. Its also a no no to wax just before and during your period for the same reason.

luckytwenty
04-13-2011, 03:29 PM
I did a lot of waxing. It hurts more, but as I had insane hair growth, it really was necessary! Especially when I got to the point that I couldn't see much from the waist down.

BabyH
04-13-2011, 04:00 PM
I snuck in here because I saw this topic!

I was waxed and spray tanned throughout my pregnancy. I even had my guy's (yes, my waxer is a guy) number in my phone in case I needed him to rush to the hospital! LOL. Near the end I obviously couldn't see the area he was waxing, but I told him just to get "all the nooks and crannies" --- as you can imagine, I'm not the most modest person.

As for spray tans, it's not FDA approved through your nasal passages (pregnant or not pregnant...) so if you go that route, just hold your breath. It only sprays for a few seconds anyway. And also FWIW, the VersaSpa is an open spray booth vs. the Mystic which is closed. I liked both though.

ahrimie
04-13-2011, 10:46 PM
(It also stinks that the usual "cure" of taking a dose of ibuprofen is off limits, but you could try acetaminophen instead.)

I thought we could take ibuprofen/motrin. Post-partum, the hospital always switched me from motrin to tylenol.

I have TOTALLY been wanting to get waxed but yes, it's supposed to be more painful. But no pain, no gain, right?? :)

Sunless tan, go for it!

BabbyO
04-14-2011, 10:58 AM
I never had a problem with waxing (my eyebrows, anyway) DURING pregnancy. However, I expect, as noted above, that the concern is with hormones changing your skin sensivity.

I did wax my brows about 3 weeks post-partum and lost a fair amount of skin with it. It was a first for me. It actually didn't hurt much...just looked terrible for a couple days. Because of it, my stylist won't wax women post-partum for at least a month, and she gives warnings.

I thought we could take ibuprofen/motrin. Post-partum, the hospital always switched me from motrin to tylenol.

I've always been told, no Ibuprofen/motrin during pregnancy. Only tylenol (which is crummy for me because Tylenol doesn't do ANYTHING for me). That said, I'd go with what your doc tells you (or maybe confirm with her/him).

eh613c
04-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Waxing is fine; it might hurt a bit more due to increased bloodflow, but it's fine. That increased bloodflow also impacts your hair growth. Everywhere. (It also stinks that the usual "cure" of taking a dose of ibuprofen is off limits, but you could try acetaminophen instead.)

Self-tanner is also fine. I'd do a cream as opposed to a spray to reduce the risks of inhalation, but whatever you're comfortable with should be fine.

:yeahthat: I've gotten a wax while pregnant and it does hurt more.

barkley1
04-14-2011, 02:30 PM
I was also told no ibuprofen/motrin. Tylenol doesn't help me much either :(

mikala
04-14-2011, 02:47 PM
I went to my usual waxer while pregnant and didn't notice any difference in pain. My waxer is awesome and isn't too bad normally.

I think sunless tanners are one of those iffy things that should be fine but it's hard to ever know for sure.