PDA

View Full Version : Tell me why I need an activity table...

Nechums
04-11-2011, 10:50 AM
It's so frustrating watching DS try to play with his train tracks, Playmobil, puzzles and Legos on the carpet. He's such a good sport about it, but everything is always falling down. I'm convinced that he needs a good table with a hard top, but all the "official" activity tables (PBK, Nilo, Land of Nod) seem so expensive. Are they worth it? Is there a cheaper option that's just as good? We're not handy, so building one is out of the question.

Thanks!

WatchingThemGrow
04-11-2011, 10:56 AM
I got a PBK table off CL for $125. I kept an eye out for one with a good price, then was ready to pick it up the day it came up for sale. The woman even lowered the price (her idea!) because I was able to come so quickly. It's a space hog in our small home, but we won't need it forever...

vonfirmath
04-11-2011, 11:59 AM
We got our square table off of Toys R Us clearance -- $25? It only has one chair is its main problem

Then we got a Nilo table off Craigslist for $50 -- haven't gotten rid of the square table yet because it is smaller... but we are close to doing so.

So I'd just watch Craigslist

lowrioh
04-11-2011, 12:01 PM
We got an IKEA Lack coffee table it it works great for DDs duplo projects.

ellies mom
04-11-2011, 12:04 PM
If you don't mind not having the edge, you can get a table top and legs from Ikea for a reasonable price. One nice thing is that you can switch out the legs for longer ones as they grow.

We had the large Nilo table but it was such a beast that we ended up replacing it with an Ikea table and it works in the space much better.

mmommy
04-11-2011, 12:24 PM
We just use an old coffee table a neighbor was giving away. We got 2 kids chairs from Ikea that work just fine with it - they don't "match" but that's ok with us.

hellokitty
04-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Just some old coffee table is fine, the ledge really isn't that helpful. Personally, I think activity tables are a waste of space. I gave our train table (very happily) to DS2's preschool teacher. It was a huge space hog and clutter magnet and my kids build such huge train sets, they had to use the floor. The train tables IMO are the biggest parent trap ever invented. Unless you glue your train set down like what they do at B&N, most kids build tracks much too big for a train table. My kids just spread out on the floors to play with duplo and lego as well.

LMPC
04-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Another vote for CL. I stalked and got a nice and very very clean Kidkraft with trundles last year for $40. It sits where a coffee table should in our family room.

Canna
04-11-2011, 02:50 PM
IMO the best alternative to pricey play tables is just - coffee tables! We have a 28"x47" wooden IKEA coffee table that we used as a coffee table for years. Now it makes a great play table for legos, puzzles, trains, drawing, etc. When I wanted to get DD#1's Playmobil off the floor I bought a nice sized round wooden coffee table at Goodwill for about $20 and put it in her bedroom. Ikea also sells this nice sized play table http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40147180.

Seitvonzu
04-11-2011, 03:06 PM
we also have a lack coffee table as a play surface -- it used to be 'generic" play table but now it's dedicated to our calico critters manor house that just barely fits. i recently bought the smaller lack table (8 dollars at IKEA) to use for legos/duplos--going to fit it with baseplates (lego).

i'm not sure i'd want a larger table... the train layouts always seem to big to use with even the larger train tables.

elbenn
04-11-2011, 03:35 PM
I have this train table with 2 drawers. http://www.babyage.com/cribs-and-baby-furniture/todays-tot-summerside-table-with-2-drawers/60502.htm When I bought it, it was way cheaper than the pbk version, but I was just looking at the pbk one, and it looks like the honey table with 2drawers is only $129. Is that correct? If so, it seems like a great deal! http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/activity-table-and-carts/?pkey=e%7Cactivity%2Btable%7C2%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24 %7C%7C1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-

Nechums
04-11-2011, 04:32 PM
I have this train table with 2 drawers. http://www.babyage.com/cribs-and-baby-furniture/todays-tot-summerside-table-with-2-drawers/60502.htm When I bought it, it was way cheaper than the pbk version, but I was just looking at the pbk one, and it looks like the honey table with 2drawers is only $129. Is that correct? If so, it seems like a great deal! http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/activity-table-and-carts/?pkey=e%7Cactivity%2Btable%7C2%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24 %7C%7C1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-

that must be a glitch! yay! im going for it and hope that they honor the mistake! funny, because i was just about to buy a used nilo off of craigslist that required a 1.5 hour drive.

elbenn
04-11-2011, 10:05 PM
that must be a glitch! yay! im going for it and hope that they honor the mistake! funny, because i was just about to buy a used nilo off of craigslist that required a 1.5 hour drive.

Hope you get it for that price!

mnosky1
04-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Our train set doesn't get much use - even though I can't pull DD away from the ones in stores. But both my girls (age 3 and 7) constantly play at our "train" table with other stuff - currently calico critters and Rapunzel tower set. It does collect junk (toys) but the drawers are really useful and I also keep a couple plastic bins or baskets behind or under it for rotating the current type of toy that is on top of the table (little people, polly pockets, barbies, etc). I bought it for about $30 at a consignment sale and am sure I could re-sell it for the same amount now, even after 3 years of use.

BeccaB-D
04-12-2011, 09:01 AM
We love the Land of Nod play table, not cheap but it's used a lot in our house. We bought a full set (table top, legs in 3 sizes, bins and paper roller)

Less clutter on the floor, and I don't have to ask my children to put their lego's away when it's time for dinner and we need the dining table.

When the youngest children don't need a play table anymore it can be converted into a desk.