PDA

View Full Version : Yeast rash?

JoyNChrist
04-11-2011, 12:19 PM
We have a diaper rash that just won't go away. I took them out of cloth and put them in disposables and tried Boudreaux's, then Johnson's diaper rash cream, then some natural cloth diaper safe stuff I have. Nothing has cleared it up, and it's been almost a week. It's very red, has raised bumps, and looks painful (although they aren't fussing when I change them).

Is this yeast? Do I need to get a prescription cream?

I was thinking of getting some Triple Paste today and trying that, but I'm wondering if I should just go to the pediatrician instead.

TwoBees
04-11-2011, 12:21 PM
It sounds like yeast. Is it a bright, beefy red? I think you should call the ped. It's not a bad idea to have some nystatin on hand just in case.

wendibird22
04-11-2011, 12:27 PM
It sounds like yeast. Is it a bright, beefy red? I think you should call the ped. It's not a bad idea to have some nystatin on hand just in case.
:yeahthat:

And the nystatin has a long shelf life before it expires so anytime DD2 (or previously DD1) has a rash that doesn't clear with the standard creams I apply the nystatin and it clears.

nfowife
04-11-2011, 12:38 PM
You can also use monistat cream.

Aishe
04-11-2011, 12:53 PM
We use generic clotrimazole for yeast rashes. Our ped says nystatin is more effective, but I haven't found that to be true. Clotrimazole works pretty quickly for us.

HIU8
04-11-2011, 12:54 PM
DD had that a LOT. I used a combo of monistat, vaseline and pinxave (for the zinc oxide. You can just use decitin also) and made it myself. That is basically the mix for Vusion. 4 years ago Vusion cost us $250/tube (new on the market and the only thing that worked for DD who also has eczema). I found online how to make it myself for much less. It worked so so well.

JoyNChrist
04-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks y'all! The ped called out some nystatin for me, so I didn't have to haul them to the office or pay for a visit. :)

AnimalBabe
04-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Definitely sounds like a yeast infection to me. My son just got over (I think/hope!) his second one. It's a persistent little infection! My pediatrician had told me to rub some over the counter Lotrimin cream on his bottom for the rash. Also apply the Nystatin to your nipples too if they itch. Oh, both times I have had my OBGYN call in a prescription for ME for it too, since I felt I was harboring it and passing it back to him. I forget what the pill was called but can look it up later if you need it.

reissgirl
04-11-2011, 03:20 PM
DS2 had a horrible rash that sounds similar but also had raised patches of raw looking skin. A local leader of a very popular baby group thought it totally looked like yeast. We tried Desitin, Triple Paste, Boudreaux's, Goo Goo Baby Bum Balm (calendula cream made by Baby Carrot), Lotrimin, cloth diapers, Huggies and Pampers. All to no avail!

After the second trip to the doctor for said rash, we started making our own cream by mixing Aquaphor with regular liquid antacid (without menthol). It was the first thing that attacked the rash. Finally. So we had to wash him off in the sink -NO WIPES - dry him really well, with a blow dryer when I had the time (haha), slather on the homemade cream. Rinse and repeat with every diaper change. Ugh. After about two months, the rash is totally healed and we are using wipes again (yippee).

Good luck. Hope it heals up quickly!

JBaxter
04-11-2011, 03:24 PM
You can also use monistat cream.

Us too. Cheep and available Usually 24 hrs and you see a big difference

sidmand
04-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Also the foot fungus cream has the same ingredient and is usually even cheaper than monistat--I even found it at the dollar store!

Melbel
04-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Vusion (prescription) works like a charm on DD2's yeast diaper rashes. Insurance covers it so I am not sure of price. If you think the babies may also have thrush (white patches in mouth) or your nipples really hurt then www.kellymom.com has great resources for mom and baby.

Dream
04-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Vinegar baths helped alot to clear DDs yeast infection.