PDA

View Full Version : Help me bike/trike question for 21 mo old

BabbyO
04-11-2011, 01:12 PM
OMG....part of this belongs in the BP, but I'll try to refrain.

Anyway, my IL's were out this weekend and we had our first really amazing weekend weather wise. I'm not sure why, but MIL is OBSESSED with getting DS a tricycle/bike. She recommended this Radio Flyer bike/trike:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2437599&prodFindSrc=prodCrossSell

But quite frankly, I'm a little concerned at the number of reviews that talk about the bike being tippy. We know DS is too small for a "regular" trike since he was on the neighbors and couldn't even reach the pedals. (DS is 21 mo and only in the 30-50% for height, apparently with short legs given how pants tend to fit).

Does anyone have any recommendations for a bike in this age group. DH found another radio flyer thing that looks like a trike, but no pedals...they just scoot with it. That seems like a waste of money to me....

Anyway...apparently there is a fire about getting this thing based on the way emails have been flying this morning, so TIA for any suggestions you may have.

citymama
04-11-2011, 01:40 PM
If she's buying, I'd say get a Skuut or Strider or other balance bike. Do not get the RF bike for a 21 month old! Balance bikes are great for learning how to ride a bike and perfect for this age.

BabbyO
04-11-2011, 04:49 PM
If she's buying, I'd say get a Skuut or Strider or other balance bike. Do not get the RF bike for a 21 month old! Balance bikes are great for learning how to ride a bike and perfect for this age.

Does the balance bike make sense if there aren't any pedals. I guess I don't get the point. Isn't it the same as any scooting toy?

Pyrodjm
04-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Does the balance bike make sense if there aren't any pedals. I guess I don't get the point. Isn't it the same as any scooting toy?

It teaches them to balance unlike a scoot toy or trike. DD1 has a strider and is learning to balance her weight and steer. She has only ridden it a few times since we got it in February and already she is starting to get it. The idea is that after a balance bike they can go on to ride a regular pedal bike without training wheels, often before the age of 4. Plus most balance bikes are much lighter than trikes and pedal bikes so they are easier for toddlers to maneuver. Check out the videos of itty bitty kiddos riding striders on youtube.

GvilleGirl
04-11-2011, 05:37 PM
My Dad really wanted to get my DD a trike for Christmas. She was 18ths. when she got it and still can't reach the pedals, but loves to ride it. I highly suggest getting one with the push bars. That way you are not always bending over to help.

This is the one we have.

http://www.radioflyer.com/trikes/classic-red-tricycle-with-push-handle.html

indigo99
04-11-2011, 06:41 PM
DS is 19 mo. and likes to ride his RF scoot-about inside the house. He loves going for walks and using his Schwinn Easy Steer tricycle though. It has a handle so we push him on it. He still can't reach the pedals on his own, but I like that it can grow with him.

Kindra178
04-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Get a balance bike. My tiny two year old fits on the Haro while my other two used/currently using a Specialized Hotrock. Pedaling is a three year old skill, while balance can be learned way earlier.

MommyAllison
04-11-2011, 07:24 PM
I think that by nature, trikes are tippy. We have the RF Fold To Go trike, and DS tips over all the time. The center of balance is high, and 3 wheels = unstable. MIL has a Schwinn Roadster, which has a very low center of balance and isn't as tippy, but the pedals are such a long reach that my DD couldn't reach to pedal a full revolution until last summer, when she was 4.5. My nephew and DS are both very tall (100%+ for height) and still couldn't reach the pedals last summer at 2.

We bought a balance bike for DS' birthday this month, and I can't wait to give it to him and pack the trike away in storage. :) If you want a trike though, I'd get one with a parent handle, as I think they'd be less tippy if a parent was holding on?

KrisM
04-11-2011, 07:28 PM
If you get a balance bike, try it first. My short-ish DS2 could not use the Specialized Hotrock last year at 2 because his legs were too short. He can just use it now and turns 3 in July.

Pedalling will be tough at that age. My kids were over 2 when they got it (by a couple months only, but still over 2).

BeachBum
04-11-2011, 08:29 PM
We really, really, really love our Kettler trikes (we have twins). I had both a RF and a schwinn roadster for my oldest and they are nothing compared to the Kettlers!

That said, my boys (26 months) both still enjoy scoot toys, and can not do a balance bike yet.