PDA

View Full Version : most economical and best place to get potting mix and containers for gardening?

diamond
04-11-2011, 01:37 PM
which is the most economical and best place to get potting mix and containers to start a balcony garden? i am planning on growing some herbs, few veggies, flowers etc..in the balcony of our condo. ty

ahisma
04-11-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm not sure where you live, but we get the best deals on compost, soil, etc in 40 lb bags from the local growers co-op. It's a $20 drive but we save tons and it's well worth it. We save the most on vermiculite, it's $12/bag there compared to $40+ elsewhere.

For containers, I'd check Lowes, etc. They're usually pretty pricey at gardening stores.

diamond
04-11-2011, 02:20 PM
ty for the reply, we live in maryland, baltimore county. 40lb bag will be too much for us as we will be doing gardening in part of our balcony.

Melaine
04-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Walmart or Target usually seem cheapest on pots, although I'd always buy the actual plants from a nursery.

ohsara430
04-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Pots @ walmart. Just bought scotts potting/top soil at home depot cheap. I think it was a special 4 day sale.

ahisma
04-11-2011, 03:37 PM
ty for the reply, we live in maryland, baltimore county. 40lb bag will be too much for us as we will be doing gardening in part of our balcony.

Surprisingly, 40 lbs goes fast! Unless you're doing super small pots, you'll definitely use a few 40 lbs bags.

I'm not sure if you're planning to go organic or not, but if so, check the soil that you get.

amybds
04-11-2011, 05:34 PM
I get a big bag or two of potting soil from Costco. I've gotten good deals on nicer looking pots at the end of the season at Target. Otherwise, Lowe's or Home Depot or Target or Wal-Mart all seem good for the inexpensive plastic pots.

DrSally
04-11-2011, 05:35 PM
I usually get my pots and soil from Walmart. I didn't know they had soil at Costco.

ETA: Also, if I'm just doing herbs in a big decorative pot, I fill the bottom with left over packing peanuts or empty 2 liter bottles, so the whole thing doesn't have to be filled with soil. I've gotten both "fillers" off freecycle.

baymom
04-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Check with your city. In our town, compost is a free service. Every Wednesday, they dump a massive, massive heap near the Bay trail and anyone can come and take as much as they need. I think it is their way of encouraging us all to compost.... I live in the uber eco conscious SF Bay area, but you never know, your town may do it to--doesn't hurt to ask!