PDA

View Full Version : SERIOUSLY?!?! AF at 5 weeks postpartum?

JenaW
04-11-2011, 02:07 PM
So apparently I am not one of those women who get to go months without a period after they deliver. I had my 6th child 5 weeks ago tomorrow, and started what I am fairly certain is a full on period yesterday. It seems like it has come back sooner with each child, even though this one, just like his siblings, nurses around the clock every 1-3 hours and won't take a paci. Ugh. I know I probably shouldn't even be using my diva cup yet, but I could not deal with a pad again. I have already emptied it twice (overflowing) since I put it in at 9am this morning. What a joy!

JoyNChrist
04-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Oh geez! I am so, so sorry.

HIU8
04-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Got mine at 4 weeks postpartum with DD. I was not happy. I had a week of nothing and then boom. I actaully called my OB and asked her about it. She said it can happen and is common.

♥ms.pacman♥
04-11-2011, 02:13 PM
ugh, i feel your pain. with my DS (my first) i got my period 6weeks postpartum. with DD i am 5 weeks PP and waiting for it show up any day now, even though i'm not yet done with the post-partum bleeding (boo!!), and my due date is actually today (dd was born 5wks early). yeah, i've accepted the fact that even though i nurse around the clock i am not one of those women who gets to go months and months without a period. very unfair if i must say. :(

dylansnan
04-11-2011, 02:13 PM
That is a big bummer, yuck!

Congrats on the arrival of #6, J!! :yay:

~Cindy

DietCokeLover
04-11-2011, 02:14 PM
I got mine at 5 wks pp too. Had a baby 9 months later. Beware!!!

o_mom
04-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Congratulations on the baby (did I miss the announcement??)!!!

Boo on AF!

kep
04-11-2011, 02:30 PM
I had what appeared to be a full period about 4-5 weeks PP with #3, but then nothing until at least 18 months. Maybe there's still hope??

Congrats!

daisymommy
04-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Congratulations on #6! :bighand:

And boo-hiss on the early arrival of AF. Are you nursing at night? I know I have read that even if you are nursing often during the daytime (every 2-3 hours), that when your baby sleeps for any longer than 5 hours at night, consider yourself fertile and AF will come back.

That is the only thing that made me feel better about my kids not STTN until they were 1.

I do remember that with two of my babies, around the time of my PP check-up I got what seemed like a period, but it ended in 2-3 days, and then there was nothing for a year. So maybe AF will leave and not return for awhile?

AnnieW625
04-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Congratulations! With DD1 I nursed a lot including twice at night and I got AF back at 8 weeks, about three weeks before she started sleeping through the night. With DD2 who slept through the night at 6 weeks I didn't get it back until she was 4 months old, had her weaned, and I had just returned to work. Absolutely no rhyme or reason I guess.

hellokitty
04-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Congrats for #6. I get your aggravation. AF always comes back for me at 3 mo postpartum, for every.single.kid. I was not happy when the NP at the OB's office suggested that I must have gotten AF back so early, b/c I used formula. None of my kids have ever had formula and at 3 mo of age were definitely still EBF. I've run into a lot of moms who EBF'd, who got AF's back before their baby was 6 mo old, so I feel as if it's more common than we think to get AF back early.

fortato
04-11-2011, 03:30 PM
I stopped bleeding at 4 weeks but started back up around 6- so maybe that's what's going on??

Congrats on the new LO!!!

chottumommy
04-11-2011, 04:13 PM
I got my AF back at the 6 week mark too. And my DS would nurse 3-4 times at night. We coslept and he was attached to my boob at night till almost 14 months. So nope, night nursing did nothing and I don't believe AF coming back at 6 weeks is that uncommon.

My OB also told me that she sees many women who have AF return at 6 weeks who EBF and some for whom it doesn't return till 6+ months who formula feed exclusively.

DrSally
04-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Sorry! I got mine the very next month. I was supplementing and pumping until DD was strong enough to EBF. I was bad about it too, b/c I had DS to run after. Apparently that was enough to make AF come back the very next month. I also nursed her every 3 hours at night!

JenaW
04-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Well, this was day 3 of emptying my diva every 2-3 hours (though I had next to nothing last night) so it wasn't a one day thing. But I'll certainly cross my fingers (tho not hold my breath) that it won't return month. Glad to know I'm not alone.

J