PDA

View Full Version : Where do I take DS for an eye exam?

essnce629
04-11-2011, 05:11 PM
DS1 (7 years old) didn't do very well on his vision screening at school-- 20/40 left eye, 20/80 right eye, and 20/40 overall and the school recommended we take him in for a formal eye exam. I'm just trying to figure out who I'm supposed to call-- a regular opthamologist or a pediatric one (does this even exist)? Anyone have any firsthand experience?

ohsara430
04-11-2011, 05:17 PM
First let's distinguish between optometrist and ophthalmologist. An optometrist is what your vision insurance pays for, they are who most people see for regular vision checks and to get glasses or contacts. Ophthalmologists only accept medical insurance because they can perform surgery and are generally only seen by people with serious vision problems/issues.

You need to find a good optometrist - ask friends or neighbors with glasses/contacts especially if any of their kids have glasses.

I know there are pediatric ophthalmologists but I'm not sure many people specialize as optometrists just for children.

ETA: If for some reason your DC needs to see a ophthalmologist the optometrist will tell you that and be able to refer to someone.

Globetrotter
04-11-2011, 05:18 PM
A pediatric optometrist is what you want for routine eye care. Ours is a family optometrist (not just kids but very kid friendly).
An opthalmologist is overkill for this (if there is no disease involved) and they don't do a lot of eye exams so you will get better results from an optometrist.

Asianmommy
04-11-2011, 05:19 PM
We went to our regular ophthalmologist when the kids were entering Kindergarten to fill out the required state forms. It worked out fine. Now my 9-year-old has started wearing glasses, and we still go to the same place.

JBaxter
04-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Our regular place is really kid friendly.

SnuggleBuggles
04-11-2011, 05:20 PM
We go to a family one and I should look for a developmental one. Mine has very limited skills with kids.

Beth

rlu
04-11-2011, 05:24 PM
We went with my optometrists' group. I had been going to them (there are three of them practicing in the same two offices, I usually see two of them) for years and had seen kids there before. We took DS when he was around 2 and I liked the way they worked with him. He was diagnosed at 3.5 years and has been seeing them since.

If you don't have a regular optometrist for yourself, see if anyone in his class wears glasses and where they go.

If your son does need glasses, this will be an ongoing relationship. The first time with glasses you will probably be scheduled for at least one check a few weeks later and perhaps in 6 months. After that you'll probably go in once a year for checkup and then back to pick up glasses. DS needs adjustments to his glasses (literally adjusting the frames to stay on better) at least once a quarter, so you will want some place that is convenient both in location and office hours.

DrSally
04-11-2011, 05:50 PM
We've been to both an opthamologist and optometrist (specializing in kids). Both were good. You ped should have some recommendations. FWIW, DS's screening showed some vision impairment and then the ped said it seemed like his eyes weren't "moving together" (thus the opthamologist), but it turned out he had perfect vision and no problems with bilateral mvmt. The doctor said that many times kids will fail the screening due to a lot of factors (distracted, performance anxiety, etc.). Both offices had special "kid friendly" things to test with, and that helped a lot, I think

Beth--totally worth finding a kid friendly place b/c it makes a lot of difference IMO.

essnce629
04-11-2011, 05:59 PM
You need to find a good optometrist - ask friends or neighbors with glasses/contacts especially if any of their kids have glasses.

Alright, so I guess it's an optometrist I need to find! I don't know anyone with kids who have glasses-- no one in DS's class and all the moms I interact with only have toddlers.

I'll do some searching online.

I wear contacts (got glasses in 4th grade), but I just get my yearly eye exam at Costco, which is probably not the most kid friendly experience!!!

Pinky
04-11-2011, 07:50 PM
My 1 year old sees a pediatric ophthalmologists and we were referred by our pediatrician. I think I'd check with your ped for recommendations. Also, definitely get someone who is used to dealing with kids. The office we go to specializes in children and it seemed really helpful.

lalasmama
04-12-2011, 12:08 AM
My 1 year old sees a pediatric ophthalmologists and we were referred by our pediatrician. I think I'd check with your ped for recommendations. Also, definitely get someone who is used to dealing with kids. The office we go to specializes in children and it seemed really helpful.

DD has an appointment with a pediatric ophthalmogist next week. She's 7 as well. We actually chose an ophthalmogist so that if there's issues in the future, she will already be used to the person we need to see. Our family physician agreed. In fact, every peds office I have worked in referred to this office her appt will be at. My basic Binyon's opto doesn't have the patience to deal with me; I wasn't about to hand DD over to her! Like the PP above, we find it nice to go to a place made for children, from the pirate eye patches to the abundance of stickers and prizes, the job gets done faster, better, and much more fun!

essnce629
04-12-2011, 03:48 AM
Ok, so I called DS's doctor and they recommended a local pediatric opthamologist. So I guess that's who we'll go with. Thanks everyone!

klwa
04-12-2011, 06:56 AM
DS was sent to a ped opthamologist by his ped last fall. Ask you ped if they have ideas.