PDA

View Full Version : Have you used fenugreek? Supply issues

AnimalBabe
04-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Hi. My son is almost 8 mos and I am finding that it is getting tougher and tougher to pump enough to send him to daycare. I work part time and already pump about 6 times while I am there (5 times for 5 missed feedings and then once more just to have enough for my husband to put him to sleep since I have a super long commute). It's exhausting and I'm starting to worry since he seems to be eating more and I'm still pumping the same measly amount.

I am considering taking fenugreek capsules to increase my supply but was told a few things about it that worried me. One, I was told that if you wanted to stop using it you'd have to wean yourself off of it or the baby will get upset b/c your supply decreases dramatically after stopping it. Also, I was told the baby (and me?) would smell like maple syrup (eww)! And finally, I never really loved taking supplements of any kind, so I guess that worries me too (maybe this shouldn't be a concern if it's just an herb, is that correct?). so I guess I was wondering if anyone else has had these issues and if you took something like like (I think Mother's Milk is similar). Thanks!

candaceb
04-11-2011, 06:52 PM
I take 3 fenugreek capsules and 2 blessed thistle capsules 3 times a day. My supply tanked when DS was about 3 months old and the supplements have definitely helped. I had never taken any type of herb before, but I was desperate and didn't want to take an RX drug. I also have oatmeal for breakfast most mornings and eat lactation cookies regularly. I definitely notice a difference if I miss more than one of the things in my mix.
My urine smells like maple syrup most of the time, but I haven't noticed any smell (and no one else had said anything) on DS.

MommytoEliana
04-11-2011, 08:28 PM
I did fenugreek tea, Mother's Milk tea, oatmeal, and lactation cookies with DS and it made a big difference in getting my supply built up, I thought. I did pretty much just fenugreek with DD and it definitely did help, but I never had as good of supply with her as with DS. I would do all of the above. I never noticed an issue when I stopped the fenugreek, nor did I notice any strange odors.

cookiemonster80
04-11-2011, 09:24 PM
I had supply issues from about 3 months on and I took More Milk Plus starting around 7 mos or so (which has Fenugeek in it- I took the liquid form). I noticed that within a few days I had quite a bit more milk- but it didn't last more than a couple of weeks- I was able to eeek out to 10 months, and maybe it was because of the supplement, who knows. I didn't notice a smell either.

I'm sure you are already doing these things, but I found that they helped me. Drinking a TON of water- I never was without a glass in my hand.
I started the progesterone only Birth Control pill and I really think it affected my supply at 3 months- even though its not supposed to. When I went off it, I noticed a huge difference.
Same thing for allergy bills, I was on Zyrtec, and when I went off my supply increased slightly also.
Eating oatmeal every day.

HTH- so sorry- know how you feel.

vludmilla
04-11-2011, 09:28 PM
I took fenugreek when I pumped exclusively for 15 months. I took 3 capsules, 3 times per day. My sweat and urine smelled a little bit like maple syrup but it wasn't noticeable to other people, or even me after a while. I definitely felt like the benefits outweighed any of the negative. I also ate almonds and ate a lot of oatmeal as that also helps with supply. I also tried to drink a LOT of water. Good luck, whatever you do. :)

DrSally
04-11-2011, 09:57 PM
I took it for awhile in the beginning. I was told the same thing about the maple smell, but I didn't notice anything. I have heard that taking it is most effective in the early months of BFing, but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

I believe that at a certain point, the body can stop responding to the pump as it did before (I was unable to pump anything at the 1 year mark, even though DS was still nursing 7 times a day). Is there any way you can add more feedings while you're home? I know it's not easy. I hope you can get your supply back up.

Dr C
04-11-2011, 10:05 PM
I took fenugreek to boost supply while working and pumping with both kids and it helped (the LC told me it would boost supply about 1/3 and that was about right for me, I think). My urine smelled a bit like maple syrup (I was told that you would know you were taking enough when you could smell it) but I didn't get complaints from others (and trust me, my not-so-subtle DH would have brought it up). I had no side effects.

There are plenty of "herbs" which are NOT safe, or can have some pretty major side effects. But this one, I think, is really pretty safe. I'd just make sure you cross-reference it with any other meds you may be taking.

TxCat
04-11-2011, 11:35 PM
I took Fenugreek off and on from 3 months postpartum onwards - I noticed a little bit of a maple syrup smell in my urine, but that was it. I think it helped with supply initially, but then kind of tapered off after a month or so (which is why I stopped taking it regularly). I then started the Mother's Milk tea, which I thought helped a lot, much more than the Fenugreek, especially if I managed to drink it two or more times in a day.

AnimalBabe
04-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Thanks everyone! I plan to try out the fenugreek then or the mother's milk. I drink a decent amount of water, but I'm sure I could be drinking more. I heard oatmeal has an effect so I tried it for 2 days and didn't notice much difference, but maybe eaten everyday?

So the mother's milk is in liquid form? Is it icky to drink if so? Otherwise I may just get the fenugreek. Oh, and I've never heard of lactation cookies. Where do you buy them??

Thanks again.

Myira
04-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Late to this. I took fenugreek 3 capsules 3 times a day. You can also instead take More Milk Plus which is a combo of fenugreek & blessed thistle and I guess it comes as a tincture or tabs. I never noticed the maple syrup smell either. About oatmeal, I heard it should be steel cut or rolled oats not the instant kind.

Katigre
04-12-2011, 09:51 AM
In addition to the recommendations above, if it is possible to increase your nursing sessions at home (especially if you can add in 1-2 night sessions/dream feeds) that will help increase your supply. My supply and the supply of my friends all noticeably dropped when our babies cut down on night feedings. Prolactin production is highest at night and that is why night nursings will increase supply more than daytime feedings (which might not matter if you're not dealing with pumping issues, but when every bit counts it can make a big difference).

Momto1
04-12-2011, 11:13 AM
How much is he taking while he's at daycare? How big are his bottles? How many hours are you apart?

AnimalBabe
04-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks again. I have a few more questions...For those that have tried both Fenugreek and Mother's Milk Plus, which did you think worked better? Also, where do you find these? I couldn't find any of these in Giant or CVS just now, but I may have missed them.

Katigre: That's interesting you mentioned that about sleeping thru the night, because my son has recently started to do this (for the most part he sleeps 11-12 hours straight).

Momto1: He's at daycare around 8.5 hours, but then Daddy picks him up and has another bottle waiting at home to put him to sleep. Lately he's had to reach into my freezer stash to thaw a 2nd bottle too. He eats about 4 ounces per bottle but still wants to eat every 2 hours. We started giving him some purees and oatmeal but it doesn't lengthen the time between feedings.

CharlotteMommy
04-12-2011, 12:50 PM
I took Mothers Milk Plus to increase my supply, and it worked wonders. It's a little pricey (about $40 for a month's supply). I took one pill a day and did not notice a maple syrup smell. I bought from my son's ped's office. Hope this helps!

Myira
04-12-2011, 12:57 PM
OP, you can get Fenugreek caps & More Milk Plus online http://www.amazon.com/Motherlove-Herbal-Company-More-capsules/dp/B000ITVRD2/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1302627396&sr=1-1.

I also think Whole Foods carries both if you have one near you.

DebbieJ
04-12-2011, 01:04 PM
I took lots of supplements. The best prices are at www.vitacost.com

You have to take a LOT for it to be effective. With Fenugreek, you will have a faint sweet smell. That's how you know you're taking enough. I also took Blessed Thistle and tried a few others on and off.

There is good info at http://www.lowmilksupply.org/, specifically on this page about increasing supply http://www.lowmilksupply.org/increasingmilk.shtml