PDA

View Full Version : Report card comments- need some perspective

zoestargrove
04-11-2011, 10:09 PM
My son is in first grade and academically is at the head of his class. He is a very bright, engaging and enthusiastic learner, but is not finding school interesting or fun this year.

We received report cards today and in the comments for the 3rd quarter, his teacher wrote 4 sentences. The first sentence was a generic he was doing well in all areas of the curriculum. The last 3 sentences were critical about his behavior in school this LAST week.

REALLY??? Is that fair and reasonable to summarize his entire quarter like that? To document an atypical week on his permanent record?

Granted, he had an awful week. He was disruptive in class a few times, he was aggressive at recess one day. He was OFF, we noticed it at home.... reverting back to some old behaviors and attitudes we gladly thought were history. He was moody, talked back, argumentative, just plain difficult. I don't know what or why he was acting the way he was. It could have been nerves (first piano recital this weekend), it could be the change in weather?? who knows

I don't like his teacher for many reasons, but for this post, I'll only mention her negativity. Each week, she sends home progress reports. My ds gets highest marks in all areas except behavior. In order to get an excellent from her, you can't be spoken to once all week. He hasn't made it through one week yet, without a reminder to not be silly during unstructured times, to raise his hand, to not talk in line, etc. It's minor stuff and it's not happening every day or multiple times a day. She checks off excellent, good, needs improvement and then writes a few comments. EVERY WEEK is a critical comment, never once has she said anything encouraging or positive. week after week, it's just getting old because he is so much more than her weekly summary.

I met with her today about last week's behavior and she confirmed that this was VERY unusual and surprising behavior for him which is why she asked for a meeting to see if I could offer some insight into why the sudden change.

I just feel like those comments deserved to stay in the progress report especially since they weren't typical.

Would you write a rebuttal or respond to that or just leave it alone?

Thank you for reading through all of this.

PMJ
04-12-2011, 04:22 PM
I used to be a teacher.

I understand your frustration.

One thing to consider -- Teacher is writing probably at least 20 report cards min: give her a break. She might have referred to the most recent "Off" week, b/c that is what was fresh in her mind.

Perhaps you can chat w/her about what "Positive" things she notices in your child -- and say, you have noticed the last few weeks (bring in proof) that on the weekly assessments, there are more negative comments.

I would not worry about the 'record" thing. he's in 1st grade.

llama8
04-12-2011, 05:10 PM
I am a teacher. I would say it was her way of informing you about this change in behavior. As a parent, I would want to know if my child was off or acting differently. I would be more annoyed if the teacher did not inform me.

ellies mom
04-12-2011, 05:19 PM
I am a teacher. I would say it was her way of informing you about this change in behavior. As a parent, I would want to know if my child was off or acting differently. I would be more annoyed if the teacher did not inform me.
I get that. When my daughter had a few weepy mornings, the teacher called me right away and I really appreciated it. But I'm not sure that the report card is the appropriate means to notify a parent about a change in behavior. That sort of thing should be done through e-mail, phone call or even a weekly progress report.

rlu
04-12-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't think it was fair to add those remarks but I wouldn't follow up more than you already have.

I think her standards for excellent behavior for a FIRST GRADER are too high. Both DH and I work in DS's class for 45 minutes each on separate days and no-one meets that.

katydid1971
04-12-2011, 05:23 PM
As a former teacher I rarely looked at past report cards, preferring to judge the student on current behavior/performance. I think that is typical. I wouldn't worry about the first grade report card too much. Hugs to you and hopefully you will have a better teacher match in second grade. :hug5:

zoestargrove
04-12-2011, 05:59 PM
thank you everyone for responding.

Looking back at the comments from last year and this year's special teachers (art, music and P.E) which are all thoughtfully written and more accurate of the whole child, it is obvious that these comments are starkly different. I'm not going to worry about it. thank you.

PMJ, I was thinking this last night - that it was fresh in her mind. I suppose that was bad timing. I did bring up the critical comments when I met with her about the last week's behavior, (in a gentle, non-accusing sort of way)but I didn't get a strong feeling that anything would change. She did have nice things to say about my son in general at that meeting.

Llama8, She did bring it up in the weekly progress report on Friday and I met with her to discuss on Monday afternoon. I really appreciate having an open communication and her informing me when things are off. I just wasn't expecting to see it again in the quarterly report card and still don't think that was the appropriate place for them. I know I'm sensitive, but every week since September her progress reports are critical or the comments section is left blank. Never once, a positive.

Katydid, I too hope we get a better match next year and I hope that my younger son going into first grade next year will get a different teacher.

thanks again!