PDA

View Full Version : Need a seat for ds, I have some suggestions from other to run by you guys

Edensmum
04-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Hi,
DS is 15mths 22lbs and outgrowing his keyfit 30. I was looking at Recaro and Britax because of the seats we have I liked them. I have a Recaro booster. I was told the convertible isn't so great.
Other CPS friend said the Boulevard/Britax seats aren't one she recommends because of a short shell and not much rf leg room.

The Radian was recommended but I was cautioned that the straps are closer together and this bugs some kids. DS is having this issue with the keyfit now, the straps are right on his neck and he pulls on them and complains.

The seats recommended are
Graco MyRide, Evenflo Triumph65, Sunshine Kids Radian, Compass TrueFit, and Safety First Complete Air.

Any thoughts? I am hesitant to go with Graco or Evenflo because I have really disliked their straps and how thin and easy to twist they are in the past.

DS is not a fan of the car, so something comfy and obviously safe is good. DD had the Boulevard and I liked the head wings, it just seems like good sense that having something to support the neck would be safer.

Please help me narrow this down.

Also what's the difference between the boulevard and the 70 one? Any more or less comfy?
And last, any really good deals on any of these?

AshleyAnn
04-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Britax seats are very popular here especially for ERF. I think your friend is mistaken about the short shell.

I considered the recaro seat for DD but it sat too high in my SUV for me to lift DD. I like it a lot. The older models got less than great reviews but the new proride seems to be much improved. Its comparable to a britax in my opinion.

I wasn't impressed by the radian. It just seems sooo open on the sides, I like a deeper shell. It also is difficult to install in my cars. I also hated that I really struggled to open the 'super' chest clip.

I have the truefit premier and love it. It has a very tall shell and I love the removable headrest. The RFing rebound bar and lockoffs makes the install super tight.

The graco myride has the new improved graco straps that don't twist. Safety 1st seats have the same thin twisty straps that evenflo uses.

BeccaB-D
04-12-2011, 05:18 AM
I love our Britax Boulevard 70, our twin girls (4) are still rearfacing in them (there not very big) There isn't as much legroom as with the Radian, but our girls are very happy in their seats, they have long legs, but never complained about the leg room.
I have the same seats for my youngest sons (2.5 & 1.5)

we also have Radian seats, I like these too, but not as much as the Britax seats.

Joolsplus2
04-12-2011, 07:13 AM
There's much complaint in general about the slightly shortened shell of the new Britaxes, but honestly, it's by the 'rearface to 4-5 at all costs' crowd. If you really want to go there, then yes, it may be a little short for that (not for petite kids, heck, at 15 months still fitting in a Key Fit, your kid probably WILL fit in a BV70 till 5 ;)). It has more legroom than the old BV's, and two crotch positions, and a wide set seat, so it's really more comfy, and the adjuster is way, way smoother than the old ones, so that's a bonus. The LATCH is by far the easiest after the Key Fit, compared to any other seat.
I wish people at c-s.o would quit dissing the Britax and going on about how absofracking wonderful those other seats are. All seats have their quirks and negatives, I just think if you have the money, Britaxes have the fewest ones (and the nicest LATCH, and the nicest harness, and the RF tethering, and take up some of the least space front-to-back)... just my 2 cents of course :D

mom2binsd
04-12-2011, 09:23 AM
I love our Britax Boulevard 70, our twin girls (4) are still rearfacing in them (there not very big) There isn't as much legroom as with the Radian, but our girls are very happy in their seats, they have long legs, but never complained about the leg room.
I have the same seats for my youngest sons (2.5 & 1.5)

we also have Radian seats, I like these too, but not as much as the Britax seats.

Becca- I'm looking at your signature line and am amazed.....I bet you could write a book on everything child related....:bowdown:

mom2binsd
04-12-2011, 09:26 AM
There's much complaint in general about the slightly shortened shell of the new Britaxes, but honestly, it's by the 'rearface to 4-5 at all costs' crowd. If you really want to go there, then yes, it may be a little short for that (not for petite kids, heck, at 15 months still fitting in a Key Fit, your kid probably WILL fit in a BV70 till 5 ;)). It has more legroom than the old BV's, and two crotch positions, and a wide set seat, so it's really more comfy, and the adjuster is way, way smoother than the old ones, so that's a bonus. The LATCH is by far the easiest after the Key Fit, compared to any other seat.
I wish people at c-s.o would quit dissing the Britax and going on about how absofracking wonderful those other seats are. All seats have their quirks and negatives, I just think if you have the money, Britaxes have the fewest ones (and the nicest LATCH, and the nicest harness, and the RF tethering, and take up some of the least space front-to-back)... just my 2 cents of course :D

Thank you Julie, I'm over there a lot and the Britax bashing is a bit much and honestly most parents are not RF till age 4-5 so many seats, not just the Britax will do. I don't think that over here we over rec Britax, but I also think they are so easy to install and pretty easy to find good deals on them that they aren't always the most expensive seat.

bubbaray
04-12-2011, 09:39 AM
ITA -- I love Britax seats for the ease of installation and use. I have to bite my tongue on c-s.org a LOT.

Joolsplus2
04-12-2011, 10:17 AM
ITA -- I love Britax seats for the ease of installation and use. I have to bite my tongue on c-s.org a LOT.

:bowdown:

You know what got me? This girl came in the other day with a teensy little kidlet, 9 months maybe, with a good 5 inches over her head in the SR35, and the mom was hell bent on getting a Complete Air for ERF, and hadn't even considered the RA55, and with a coupon, it was only $20 more than the CA, but she was like, oh, they said THIS was the BEST seat at c-s.o, I didn't even consider that Britax, it's so overpriced.

Edensmum
04-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Thank you all. I like the Britax, and I know how to use it. Jools you helped me figure out how to install our last Boulevard 5 years ago when dd's was installed by some police straight from carseat "school" who took over and hour and used a locking clip. They also told me that after 40lbs it was a BPB. Thanks for all your help in keeping my kiddos safe. DD did rf in that boulevard until 4.5. Now she has a Nautilus and a Probooster(She is almost 7)

Joolsplus2
04-12-2011, 10:52 AM
:signthankspin:
That's just such a huge compliment, I can't even tell you how happy I am you trust me (and heck, this great board here!) so much. I just hope you don't have to futz with the lockoffs on the new Britax, they are such a pain (though I learned the *hard* way how to make them work, so ask here first if you find you need to use them, I've learned my lesson--no injury involved, except to my pride, lol)

vonfirmath
04-12-2011, 11:48 AM

Sometimes I bite my tongue. Sometimes I come out and say it

Thing is: The most frequently recommended seat there -- the Radian -- has a LOT of problems in installation. Even by techs and such. AND folks complaining about it coming loose. And isn't exactly "cheap"

If I'm recommending to a normal everyday person willing to spend that type of $$? They will be better served by the Britax in most cases.

lorinick
04-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Love love love Britax! It's so easy to install. Jules is AMAZING and so down to earth. Many at CS.org are so over the top. IMO

jjordan
04-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Sort of funny how this thread has become a Britax fan club of sorts...

Add me to the list of those who are annoyed by those unnamed people who say "other seats have more features for less money" when it's flat-out NOT true. Sure, Britax seats aren't the perfect choice for everyone, but they are for lots of people!