PDA

View Full Version : Knot Genie for tangled hair

melwe
04-11-2011, 10:45 PM
So last week we went to get DD's hair cut. She has fine hair with moderate amount of curl. It tangles very easily. They suggested this brush called the Knot Genie.

http://knotgenie.com/

The bristles are supposed to be more flexible, and because there are more of them it doesn't seem to pull as hard.

I went ahead and bought it because it always a nightmare to brush her hair - screaming, crying, etc... We've used it for a week and it seems to work pretty well. I'm not sure if it's just because her hair is freshly trimmed or if it's the brush, but so far very little drama. YEAH!! It also gets finished MUCH quicker.

I'm not sure if anyone else has tried this but thought it might help someone!

Also, online it is listed for $19.99 but I only paid $12 at the kid's hair salon.

katydid1971
04-12-2011, 12:17 AM
There isn't anywhere near me that has them but I went ahead and ordered it for $25 with shipping :bag But if it works on DD's hair its worth it!

MommyAllison
04-12-2011, 01:15 AM
A friend of mine just tried the Knot Genie on her long, straight, thick hair that is easily tangled, and she loves it too!

Twin Mom
04-12-2011, 01:22 AM
This sounds like a great product. May try to find it locally.

Sandy
04-12-2011, 01:53 AM
I found a $5 discount through facebook fan page.

http://www.knotgenie.com/store-promo.php

calv
04-12-2011, 06:45 AM
dumb question. where can I find if they are sold locally? I can't find the link. TIA, this may be just the product we need!

ETA: found it https://www.facebook.com/pages/Knot-Genie-Detangling-Brush/132894190080621?v=app_7146470109

jren
04-12-2011, 07:42 AM
We have it. My DD has long, wavy/curly hair that is extremely thick. It didn't work miracles for us, but I still use it occasionally. For curly/wavy hair, you are only supposed to use it with wet hair. I don't wash DD's hair every day because it gets so dry. We wet it the other days (detangler, spray-on conditioner, etc.), but I can only get the Genie through it if it's sopping wet and I have to section it off in tiny sections to get through all the layers and layers of hair. The bristles are very short. DD does not have typical "kid" hair, though. It's way thicker than mine.

Jo..
04-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Thank you for posting jren. I was just thinking about buying it.

My DD has crazy thick hair with spiral curls, and I can only get a WIDE comb through if it's really wet. I think I am going to try a flexible hair pick and see how that works.

Melaine
04-12-2011, 08:11 AM
Thanks so much....really would love to try it. If I can find it for $12 like you did, I would totally buy it. I don't touch the girls hair when it isn't wet, so that's not a problem. Their hair looks very much like the little girls on the main page.

veronica
04-12-2011, 08:42 AM
I'd love this too but it's not sold anywhere near me.

I wish it was cheaper too!

tamie
04-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Just bought one this weekend at Sweet and Sassy (a local kids salon). So far so good! I paid $14.99.

larig
04-12-2011, 10:40 AM
thanks for the tip! DS has curly hair, and he hates having it combed.

m448
04-12-2011, 10:44 AM
jren - I have super curly hair and I just bought a couple of swissco tortoise (plastic) combs from amazon. They're polished after stamping so none of those sharp edges from molded combs and their widetooth comb is great for detangling in the shower (so wet hair) but also on my toddler.

jren
04-12-2011, 11:11 AM
jren - I have super curly hair and I just bought a couple of swissco tortoise (plastic) combs from amazon. They're polished after stamping so none of those sharp edges from molded combs and their widetooth comb is great for detangling in the shower (so wet hair) but also on my toddler.

Thanks! Always looking for something to help with DD's hair. Would help if she could shower in the morning, but getting up any earlier than 6:30 isn't an option. I've been braiding her hair into a loose braid at night which cuts down on tangles in the AM.

m448
04-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Like the OP mentioned even a small trim of the ends cuts down on tangles since old hair ends tend to split and be more prone to tangle with each other. Plus the diluted water/conditioner as a detangler helps a lot too.

melwe
04-12-2011, 11:16 PM
I was surprised to see how much it was online because I didn't remember paying that much. I checked my receipt to make sure. I don't know if any of the salons would ship or have online stores?? I got mine at the Hairy Elephant in Missouri. They have already sold out 3 times, and they just started carrying them.

They used it on her at the salon after brushing her hair. They used short, quick brush strokes to work through the tangles instead of long, pulling motions. I have also began using the stylists technique.

I am quite sure it would not work on all hair because the bristles are not terribly long but DD's hair is fine (although she has a lot of it)! I have tried it on her dry hair, and it makes it frizzy and poof out like a mushroom, so I will probably have to wet it slightly to use between washings.

FWIW I tried it on my own hair just to see what it feels like. I have VERY thick, wavy hair that will "knot" up where I wear a pony tail. It was more comfortable for me, so I think it does help some.

cleo27
04-12-2011, 11:39 PM
You might want to check out the "Wet Brush", available on Amazon. After a recommendation on this board, I got one around the holidays for DD (Santa left it in her stocking...) It is wonderful! (and a bit less expensive) I'm not sure how it would do for very curly hair (hers is wavy and long, and tends to tangle badly). The reviews on Amazon were really good.

Melaine
04-13-2011, 08:13 PM
I just saw this one, also: http://www.amazon.com/Tangle-Teezer-Original-Professional-Detangling/dp/B00264NW7G/ref=pd_sbs_bt_1

Looks very similar, a bit cheaper and great reviews.

dcmom2b3
04-13-2011, 09:01 PM
I haven't used the knot genie, but from looking at pictures of it, it looks like it just makes easier a technique that I've used for years with brushes bought from the drugstore. Things like this (http://www.drugstore.com/conair-brush-velvet-touch-brush-77201c/qxp58196). If you were to 'drag' the drugstore brush through the hair with the handle pointing toward the floor (rather than perendicular to the floor, the usual hair brushing position) it would closely replicate the bristle arrangement of the knot genie.

I'm too beat to try to explain why this is so, has to do with the way the bristles are aligned vs. the orientation of the handle. Just trust me on this. My hair is waaaaaaaaaay curly/ kinky. I can start something that looks like dreadlocks in less than a week's time. But I can brush the nascent dreadlocks out (while hair is wet) if I use the "point the handle to the floor" technique with the right cheap drugstore brush.

Melaine
04-16-2011, 08:25 AM
Ok, I bought the Tangle Teezer yesterday from Sally ($10) and am VERY pleased. IT WORKS on DDs' hair. Maybe I should include a pic of them but it is the perfect storm of curls and thick hair from both sides of the family. Their hair looks like an afro when they wake up and after a couple days of not brushing, it starts to form dreads. I am not exaggerating. Random strangers actually come up to us and recommend styling products (which I gratefully accept).

Usually, I only pick it when it is wet. Brushes are out of the question. It usually takes about 20 or so minutes at least per child. Yesterday we got the new brush and DD2 picked it up and started brushing her own hair. She walked over to the mirror and I wish you could have seen her. She was thrilled. I mean, every girl ought to be able to brush their hair, right? She had never done it! I had to stop her when she tried because she would be either ripping her hair out, or getting a brush STUCK in it. And a wide-tooth comb just doesn't give the same satisfaction. It is gentle and works pretty quickly. I am nothing short of amazed.

I also tried it on my hair, which is wavy and medium thickness, I actually never brush my hair, just finger-comb. It feels really nice, kind of massaging and very gentle. I'm sold. If I could order the flower ones before Easter I would for their Easter baskets, but I may just use them as flower girl gifts for them later.

The Tangle Teezer does NOT say to use only on wet hair, which the Knot Genie does. So I'm not sure what exactly the difference is, although the brushes look very very similar. I will try the TT on the girls' hair wet to see how it goes. Just thought you guys might want to hear our experience....I would love to see a comparison of the Knot Genie vs. Tangle Teezer. If I find a deal on the Knot Genie I may still get one to try.

TwinFoxes
04-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Ok, I bought the Tangle Teezer yesterday from Sally ($10) and am VERY pleased. IT WORKS on DDs' hair. Maybe I should include a pic of them but it is the perfect storm of curls and thick hair from both sides of the family. Their hair looks like an afro when they wake up and after a couple days of not brushing, it starts to form dreads. I am not exaggerating. Random strangers actually come up to us and recommend styling products (which I gratefully accept).

Usually, I only pick it when it is wet. Brushes are out of the question. It usually takes about 20 or so minutes at least per child. Yesterday we got the new brush and DD2 picked it up and started brushing her own hair. She walked over to the mirror and I wish you could have seen her. She was thrilled. I mean, every girl ought to be able to brush their hair, right? She had never done it! I had to stop her when she tried because she would be either ripping her hair out, or getting a brush STUCK in it. And a wide-tooth comb just doesn't give the same satisfaction. It is gentle and works pretty quickly. I am nothing short of amazed.

I also tried it on my hair, which is wavy and medium thickness, I actually never brush my hair, just finger-comb. It feels really nice, kind of massaging and very gentle. I'm sold. If I could order the flower ones before Easter I would for their Easter baskets, but I may just use them as flower girl gifts for them later.

The Tangle Teezer does NOT say to use only on wet hair, which the Knot Genie does. So I'm not sure what exactly the difference is, although the brushes look very very similar. I will try the TT on the girls' hair wet to see how it goes. Just thought you guys might want to hear our experience....I would love to see a comparison of the Knot Genie vs. Tangle Teezer. If I find a deal on the Knot Genie I may still get one to try.

Sold! :)

infomama
04-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Sold! :)
me too. Easter baskets for sure. We don't have wavy/curly hair but Dd1 and I have long hair and the thought of a gentler hairbrush is appealing. Dd2 would enjoy it too, I'm sure.

AlbrightRC
04-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Love the tangle teaser. It was recommended to us by other parents of Ethiopian children. Works awesome for my sons curls.

bubbaray
04-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Is this the tangle teaser?

http://www.sallybeauty.com/detangling-brush/TGLTEZ1,default,pd.html

Currently, I use wide-tooth combs on their hair when wet. Much screaming unless I do it IN the shower when conditioner is still on the hair. I use brushes (Goody) that are similar to the ones Mary-Helen linked too, but they give DD#2 the frizzies. Her hair is corkscrew curls when I don't brush it, frizz when I do.

chozen
04-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Is this the tangle teaser?

http://www.sallybeauty.com/detangling-brush/TGLTEZ1,default,pd.html

Currently, I use wide-tooth combs on their hair when wet. Much screaming unless I do it IN the shower when conditioner is still on the hair. I use brushes (Goody) that are similar to the ones Mary-Helen linked too, but they give DD#2 the frizzies. Her hair is corkscrew curls when I don't brush it, frizz when I do.

yes, that is the tangle teaser, i just bought one last night and it works great! not one ouch , not one scream and no tears!:bouncy: our dd has curly fine textured hair and it gets snared and knotty very easily, the tangle teaser works very well, the only thing i have noticed that i did'nt like was that it kindof takes the curls out, i really like our dd curls. i will see how it works on wet hair.

Melaine
04-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Will come back later to share about using it on wet hair. I am absolutely blown away by the results....it's unbelievable.

I'm on my ipad, and I hate typing long paragraphs.

Melaine
04-17-2011, 01:51 PM
This morning I washed and conditioned the girls' hair as usual, and then used the Tangle Teaser.

Normally, I camp out on the couch, (with the TV on) and gather my tools. I use a couple of products, a cream by Kinky Curly (learned about it here), Johnson Buddies Detangling spray (which we use so heavily we go through a bottle every couple weeks), rubber bands (for separating the hair to detangle by portion), a wide-tooth comb, a brush, a water spray bottle if it has started to dry out, and a towel to keep the products from getting all over them. I put the top of their hair up and start combing it little by little from the bottom, saturating it with detangler as I go. It's difficult, time-consuming and I try to be gentle but it sometimes hurts them. On good days, I might finish both of their hair in about 30 minutes (granted, I don't do this every day). I never get every snarl out, because it just isn't possible without a lot of hair loss.
This morning, I used ZERO products and combed each of their hair out in 5 minutes or less (each). I was able to get every snarl and tangle out, with no complaints from the girls. DH and I were staring at their hair thinking we hadn't seen it that well combed since they were much younger when it was shorter. At the end, when I looked at the hairbrush, there were probably 3 or 4 stray hairs in it. It was truly unbelievable.

I am completely STUNNED by this hair brush. The mechanics of it are really interesting. The bristles are very fine and not stiff. Basically, they gently pull at the tangle but give way before pulling too hard. So each stroke makes a bit more progress but at no point is the stress enough to hurt or pull hair out of the head. It's really hard to describe, but it definitely works differently than any other brush I've seen.

This is definitely about to top my favorite of all favorite products list. Thanks so much to OP for suggesting the Knot Genie (I really think it is the same concept as the Tangle Teaser). This is going to make my life SO SO SO much easier. Thank you!

TwinFoxes
04-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Melaine, thanks for the review. I'm going to buy one today, either the Tangle Teaser, or the Knot Genie, whichever I can find (there are salons here that sell KG). Your procedure sounds a lot like ours! It's amazing that you don't have to use product. DDs are Kinky Curly's biggest customers (well, maybe your girls are, it could be a toss up!)

Melaine
04-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Melaine, thanks for the review. I'm going to buy one today, either the Tangle Teaser, or the Knot Genie, whichever I can find (there are salons here that sell KG). Your procedure sounds a lot like ours! It's amazing that you don't have to use product. DDs are Kinky Curly's biggest customers (well, maybe your girls are, it could be a toss up!)

That's right, you are my curly buddy who recommended Kinky Curly! I need some more. I know we will still need products, and their hair still frizzed out a bit when it dried, so I'm thinking it might be time to try gel. Does KC make a gel?
Anyway, I'm just thrilled with the brush. Can't wait to hear how it works for you guys also.

ETA: I think I might take a video of combing the girls hair with this. Or maybe a before and after showing one combed and one un-combed. But if I did that I would need to sell it to the company for advertising!

stillplayswithbarbies
04-17-2011, 02:34 PM
anyone use this on very long, straight hair? Her hair tangles easily, so we keep it braided all the time, but brushing it out is at least a 30 minute process. Will this help?

she's 8 years old and her hair is down past her bum.

ellies mom
04-17-2011, 03:22 PM
This morning I washed and conditioned the girls' hair as usual, and then used the Tangle Teaser.

Normally, I camp out on the couch, (with the TV on) and gather my tools. I use a couple of products, a cream by Kinky Curly (learned about it here), Johnson Buddies Detangling spray (which we use so heavily we go through a bottle every couple weeks), rubber bands (for separating the hair to detangle by portion), a wide-tooth comb, a brush, a water spray bottle if it has started to dry out, and a towel to keep the products from getting all over them. I put the top of their hair up and start combing it little by little from the bottom, saturating it with detangler as I go. It's difficult, time-consuming and I try to be gentle but it sometimes hurts them. On good days, I might finish both of their hair in about 30 minutes (granted, I don't do this every day). I never get every snarl out, because it just isn't possible without a lot of hair loss.
This morning, I used ZERO products and combed each of their hair out in 5 minutes or less (each). I was able to get every snarl and tangle out, with no complaints from the girls. DH and I were staring at their hair thinking we hadn't seen it that well combed since they were much younger when it was shorter. At the end, when I looked at the hairbrush, there were probably 3 or 4 stray hairs in it. It was truly unbelievable.

I am completely STUNNED by this hair brush. The mechanics of it are really interesting. The bristles are very fine and not stiff. Basically, they gently pull at the tangle but give way before pulling too hard. So each stroke makes a bit more progress but at no point is the stress enough to hurt or pull hair out of the head. It's really hard to describe, but it definitely works differently than any other brush I've seen.

This is definitely about to top my favorite of all favorite products list. Thanks so much to OP for suggesting the Knot Genie (I really think it is the same concept as the Tangle Teaser). This is going to make my life SO SO SO much easier. Thank you!

So, what kind of curls do the girls have when dry? DD1's ringlets are about sharpie sized (3b) and DD2's are pencil sized (3c). Right now we use a very wide tooth detangling comb. In all honesty though we do not have a lot of problems detangling their hair because there hair isn't super thick. DD1 has always been really easy but DD2 fights more (she doesn't like my spraying her hair with water).

I'd love something that Ellie could use herself and anything that makes it easier for the husband would be great too. My only concern is that the hair wouldn't reform into ringlets after brushing it. As for gel, we've had a lot of luck with Aveda's Confixor (http://www.aveda.com/product/CATEGORY14955/PROD5827/Styling/Gels/index.tmpl?PSID=true&ngextredir=1&cm_mmc=Google-_-Styling-Brand-Exact-_-Confixor-Liquid-Gel-_-aveda%20confixor).

I can get the tangle teaser locally so might just give it a try.

inmypjs
04-17-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm also wondering how both of these brushes work on non-curly hair? DD has long hair that is slightly wavy. It tangles easily and I would love to find something that doesn't hurt when I comb and brush her hair. Would either of these work or are they just for curly hair?

Update - I read some reviews on several sites and I'm going to try the tangle teezer. Has anyone found the flower pot in stock at Sally's?

Maxlee
04-17-2011, 04:28 PM
I recently got DDs the Knot Genie and we love it. They both have straight hair and it works well for wet and Dry hair. the girls even brush their own hair (2 &5)

bubbaray
04-17-2011, 04:51 PM
I have put 2 Tangle Teasers on hold at my local Sally. Am off to purchase now, will update later this week. Thanks!

Melaine
04-17-2011, 05:14 PM
So, what kind of curls do the girls have when dry? DD1's ringlets are about sharpie sized (3b) and DD2's are pencil sized (3c). Right now we use a very wide tooth detangling comb. In all honesty though we do not have a lot of problems detangling their hair because there hair isn't super thick. DD1 has always been really easy but DD2 fights more (she doesn't like my spraying her hair with water).

I'd love something that Ellie could use herself and anything that makes it easier for the husband would be great too. My only concern is that the hair wouldn't reform into ringlets after brushing it. As for gel, we've had a lot of luck with Aveda's Confixor (http://www.aveda.com/product/CATEGORY14955/PROD5827/Styling/Gels/index.tmpl?PSID=true&ngextredir=1&cm_mmc=Google-_-Styling-Brand-Exact-_-Confixor-Liquid-Gel-_-aveda%20confixor).

I can get the tangle teaser locally so might just give it a try.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll113/MamaMelaine/th_VID01174.jpg (http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll113/MamaMelaine/?action=view&current=VID01174.jpg)
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll113/MamaMelaine/th_VID01173.jpg (http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll113/MamaMelaine/?action=view&current=VID01173.jpg)
I'm going to try to attach photos to show their curls. This is after brushing this morning with the TT (also after playing for a couple hours at the park so...) I have no idea what their curls are, but I would guess sharpie size maybe or bigger? They are pretty tight though. There is a picture of me pulling the curl down to show the actually length.

I get what you are saying. When I let them brush it dry, it definitely was losing the curl and becoming more fluffy and frizzy. Doing it wet allowed the curl to spring back just as always though.

I have no idea why the second photo is sideways, I rotated it I swear.

ETA: I am looking at the hair types and I cannot decide if it is 3b or 3c.

ellies mom
04-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Yesterday we got the new brush and DD2 picked it up and started brushing her own hair. She walked over to the mirror and I wish you could have seen her. She was thrilled. I mean, every girl ought to be able to brush their hair, right? She had never done it! I had to stop her when she tried because she would be either ripping her hair out, or getting a brush STUCK in it.

This is a very good point. It will be so nice for the girls to be able to brush their own hair. Granted, it will still probably have to be wet but brushing your hair is so much more satisfying than combing it. Right now they are stuck brushing my hair.

Melaine
04-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Update - I read some reviews on several sites and I'm going to try the tangle teezer. Has anyone found the flower pot in stock at Sally's?

Mine did not have it. It's not online either so I wonder if they don't carry it?

calv
04-17-2011, 05:24 PM
what is the flower pot item you guys are talking about?

ellies mom
04-17-2011, 05:28 PM
If you look at their website (http://www.tangleteezer.com/), they make a flower pot grooming kit for little girls but they seem to only be selling outside of the US.

Melaine
04-17-2011, 05:28 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Tangle-Teezer-Kids-Flowerpot-Brush/dp/B0045U8W3S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1303075702&sr=8-3

calv
04-17-2011, 05:30 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Tangle-Teezer-Kids-Flowerpot-Brush/dp/B0045U8W3S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1303075702&sr=8-3

neat, thanks Melaine for the link. so that's an item Sally carries? must go to Sally's tomorrow!!

ellies mom
04-17-2011, 06:23 PM
neat, thanks Melaine for the link. so that's an item Sally carries? must go to Sally's tomorrow!!
I haven't checked the store but Sally's website doesn't show the flowerpot. It is really cute though.

daniele_ut
04-17-2011, 07:07 PM

They did not have the flower pot shown in Melaine's link at the Sally near my house. I picked up a bright pink Tangle Teezer for $10 yesterday and I am REALLY impressed. DD has fine straight hair that is always tangled in the morning and at night. The Tangle Teezer just glides through her hair, wet or dry.

bubbaray
04-17-2011, 07:12 PM
They didn't have the flower pot at my Sally's (Canada). I picked up a purple glitter one, and a neon pink one. They are going in the Easter baskets, so will update on how they work next week. :)

salsah
04-18-2011, 12:41 AM
that flower pot is so freakin' cute!

i'm going to have to have stop by sally's soon to look for the tangle teezer. my girls have curly hair (one has thick, the other has thin) and knots are a big problem for them both. i go through the same routine as Melaine (except the only product i use the kinky Curly conditioner) nearly every morning. between the two girls, i go through tons of kinky curly conditioner.

dcmom2b3
04-18-2011, 01:08 AM
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll113/MamaMelaine/th_VID01174.jpg (http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll113/MamaMelaine/?action=view&current=VID01174.jpg)
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll113/MamaMelaine/th_VID01173.jpg (http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll113/MamaMelaine/?action=view&current=VID01173.jpg)
I'm going to try to attach photos to show their curls. This is after brushing this morning with the TT (also after playing for a couple hours at the park so...) I have no idea what their curls are, but I would guess sharpie size maybe or bigger? They are pretty tight though. There is a picture of me pulling the curl down to show the actually length.

I get what you are saying. When I let them brush it dry, it definitely was losing the curl and becoming more fluffy and frizzy. Doing it wet allowed the curl to spring back just as always though.

I have no idea why the second photo is sideways, I rotated it I swear.

ETA: I am looking at the hair types and I cannot decide if it is 3b or 3c.

OMG! What beautiful, beautiful, beautiful curls!

I'm a little envious; if DD's (straight, slippery, fine) hair were like your DDs' I might have a snowball's chance of sending her to school looking halfway groomed. Grass is always greener, I suppose.

PM me if you ever want to talk about curl management.

Jo..
04-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Sold!

I'm getting a Tangle Teezer today.

calv
04-18-2011, 08:53 AM
after calling many sally's I finally found a store w/them instock. sally have any coupons for these? :(

TwinFoxes
04-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Well, it worked! I bought the Knot Genie, because it was $12 and being sold at the mall closest to my house. I just dampened the girls hair with a spray bottle, and it worked really well. Still a little wriggling and protesting, but I think that's because they're young, and were expecting it to be an ordeal.

It's actually vaguely similar to one of my "tools" that I use on DDs' hair. It's called a shampoo brush (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0020S5F9G/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0001I8ZT4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=19BZW519S9W4W1CS3S5N). The bristles are much shorter, and the material is much crappier, but it was only $2. I think the Knot Genie is the same idea, but x1000. It's really good. (I'm not suggesting anyone get the $2 brush instead!! It's not even close to as effective as the Knot Genie!)

Jo..
04-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Tangle Teezer success!

My Sally's didn't have the flowerpot either so we got the purple one with sparkles.

TOTALLY worth the $10.

I usually can't comb DDs hair unless it is soaking wet with conditioner in the shower...most days I didn't bother. I wish I had taken a before pic, because it was a rat's nest.

A 10 minute ordeal became a 20 second easy job.

I did lose some of the curl by dry brushing, but there's no frizz. It also worked wonders on my own wavy/curly/thick hair.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f254/joellenh/004-29.jpg

chozen
04-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Tangle Teezer success!

My Sally's didn't have the flowerpot either so we got the purple one with sparkles.

TOTALLY worth the $10.

I usually can't comb DDs hair unless it is soaking wet with conditioner in the shower...most days I didn't bother. I wish I had taken a before pic, because it was a rat's nest.

A 10 minute ordeal became a 20 second easy job.

I did lose some of the curl by dry brushing, but there's no frizz. It also worked wonders on my own wavy/curly/thick hair.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f254/joellenh/004-29.jpg

your dd hair looks similar to our liitle girls hair, the brush worked great for us ,the only down side is that it seems to take the curl out.:( did you experience this with your dd hair?

calv
04-18-2011, 03:12 PM
seriously in love. THANK YOU THANK YOU for putting an end to our WW III hair battles. May have to go back and get one for myself to keep in my purse.

last week I picked up the 'ouchless' brush at walmart and that's been a hit too but these seem to work better on the kids. :)

http://www.goody.com/#/searchTags/Brushes/products/ouchless_paddle_brush maybe it was on this board that I read about the goody ouchless products.

infomama
04-18-2011, 03:20 PM
All the Sally's around here are sold out!! Keeping my fingers crossed..

veronica
04-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Only three black ones left at our Sally. DH brought one home a few days ago and I asked him what color he chose while there. He looked dumbfounded and said they handed him a black one. When I called them today to see if they had colors, the mgr was great. She only has black left but is getting 2 delivered tomorrow and will check the colors for me. I adore the flower pot, hope they get those in soon!!

m448
04-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Veronica have you tried scrunching with a microfiber towel after detangling? that's what helps reform my curl after I detangle, rinse the conditioner and put in gel. gives great volume without frizzy and really cuts down on the drying time.

azazela
04-19-2011, 08:02 PM
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: Got the tangle teezer today. Awesome results! :applause:

melwe
04-19-2011, 11:18 PM
So I was the OP who tried this on my DD. I mostly lurk but value all of your opinions so much!!! Normally I find such good information for my own use, and I am so glad I could pay it back.

It has been a lifesaver at my house, and I'm glad everyone else has such good results. This is what is truly great about these boards!

Melaine
04-20-2011, 07:14 AM
So I was the OP who tried this on my DD. I mostly lurk but value all of your opinions so much!!! Normally I find such good information for my own use, and I am so glad I could pay it back.

It has been a lifesaver at my house, and I'm glad everyone else has such good results. This is what is truly great about these boards!

Thank you Melanie!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

So glad you posted!

Corie
04-20-2011, 08:25 AM
My daughter and I have straight very fine hair that turns into
a big huge rats nest when wet.

I have always used the shampoo scalp brush in the shower
after I shampoo/condition my hair. It combs right through
my hair when wet. It works so well that when my hair is dry
it is super soft, shiny and easy to comb.

My shampoo scalp brush looks something like this. My daughter
has one in her shower too.

http://www.amazon.com/Shampoo-Scalp-Massage-Brush-Brush/dp/B0002RPTX4/ref=pd_bxgy_bt_img_c

Ceepa
04-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Another BBB-recommended product I didn't know about and now want. A lot. :ROTFLMAO:

Mermanaid
04-20-2011, 10:14 AM
I couldn't stay away from the hype and bought one of these yesterday. Wow ... just wow have I been missing out all this time! DD's hair is very fine but thick and turns into rat nests every night. This brush handled it like a pro! No yelling, no screaming, no crying. It's my little miracle.

Thank you, thank you, thank you OP for sharing this with us!

salsah
04-20-2011, 01:29 PM
i haven't had a chance to go pick on up yet but i called my local sally's to ask if they had them. the lady said that they carry them but asked me to hold while she went to make sure that they still had some in stock. she said they have been flying off the shelves recently.
so i have to ask, why "recently"? is it the bbb effect? or were these featured on oprah or something?

TwinFoxes
04-20-2011, 02:09 PM
OP, I just wanted to come back and thank you for posting. :thumbsup: It seriously has made my life easier. It was $12.99 well spent. For any of you in NoVa, Cartoon Cuts has them.

My daughter and I have straight very fine hair that turns into
a big huge rats nest when wet.

I have always used the shampoo scalp brush in the shower
after I shampoo/condition my hair. It combs right through
my hair when wet. It works so well that when my hair is dry
it is super soft, shiny and easy to comb.

My shampoo scalp brush looks something like this. My daughter
has one in her shower too.

http://www.amazon.com/Shampoo-Scalp-Massage-Brush-Brush/dp/B0002RPTX4/ref=pd_bxgy_bt_img_c

Copycat ;)

It's actually vaguely similar to one of my "tools" that I use on DDs' hair. It's called a shampoo brush (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0020S5F9G/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0001I8ZT4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=19BZW519S9W4W1CS3S5N). The bristles are much shorter, and the material is much crappier, but it was only $2. I think the Knot Genie is the same idea, but x1000. It's really good. (I'm not suggesting anyone get the $2 brush instead!! It's not even close to as effective as the Knot Genie!)

Corie
04-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Copycat ;)

I saw that!!!

My Dad has used the shampoo scalp brush for as long as I can remember. I used to use his scalp brush whenever
I showered in my parent's shower. That's kind of gross, when
you think about it!

I love my scalp brush! My head gets a nice massage
and my hair is soft, shiny and luxurious.
(I love saying "luxurious".) :)

wendmatt
04-20-2011, 09:46 PM
I HAD to go out and get one today at Sally's (the Tangle Teezer). I used it tonight on dry hair and it's amazing, can't wait to try it after a shower, if it makes mornings in our house more pleasant, it was well worth the $10. Thanks for posting about it.

inmypjs
04-20-2011, 11:05 PM
I found a pink Tangle Teezer at Sally's today and I don't know if I can wait to put it in DD's Easter basket! I want to try it now, LOL.

s7714
04-22-2011, 08:53 PM
We just received the two I ordered for my girls, and I'm quite impressed with how easily they worked through the tangles in my older DDs long, very fine, straight hair. She didn't flinch even once when I was brushing through the ratty parts of her hair! :thumbsup: Normally she's grabbing her head and crying after a complete brush out.

The true test will be having DH use the brushes on their hair after a full day of school and activities. If the brush works successfully without tears in that situation then I'll be placing it on a pedestal, LOL! :wink2:

chlobo
04-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Darn. My Sally's didn't have it. Maybe its regional.

blondflava
04-22-2011, 09:39 PM
I'm tempted... But will it tame THIS:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25479211@N06/5645116386/
(had trouble embedding it in message)

lol (I'll delete the pic later for safety reasons, thanks!). I have to wet DD's hair thoroughly with spray conditioner and comb thru with a wide comb every morning, it's some work :)

Edited link, had a loooong day lol...

indigo99
04-22-2011, 09:41 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25479211@N06/5645116386/?edited=1

Ummm. Wrong link maybe?

MommyAllison
04-22-2011, 10:01 PM
anyone use this on very long, straight hair? Her hair tangles easily, so we keep it braided all the time, but brushing it out is at least a 30 minute process. Will this help?

she's 8 years old and her hair is down past her bum.

A friend of mine uses the Knot Genie - she is an adult and her hair was down to her waist until a week ago, when she cut & donated it. Her hair is very thick and stick straight. She loves the brush!

cntrymoon2
04-23-2011, 12:36 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25479211@N06/5645116386/

lol (I'll delete the pic later for safety reasons, thanks!). I have to wet DD's hair thoroughly with spray conditioner and comb thru with a wide comb every morning, it's some work :)

Edited link, had a loooong day lol...

Yes, it will! My dd has similar hair. Think snarled dread patch in the back. Tangle Teezer went right through it. It does take out the curl though, so I use product to put the curl back in. But I'll take it in a heartbeat to get out the tangles.

veronica
04-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Thank you OP and for the recommendation on the Tangle Teezer.

DD got her pink one in her Easter basket and it was one of her favorite Easter treats.......until my mom pulled out a gumball machine. I love it though!

dogmom
04-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Count me as another happy buyer of Tangler Teaser. I picked one up last Monday at Sally's and I ordered 2 more (one regular one flower pot) from Just for Hair through Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Tangle-Teezer-Kids-Flowerpot-Brush/dp/B0045U8W3S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1303075702&sr=8-3 I received the order from Just for Hair on Thursday regular shipping. This is seriously improving my relationship with my DD.

salsah
04-25-2011, 11:59 AM
what am i missing?! i bought it and tried it on myself and the girls. it worked on me nicely. not totally painless because i did feel it pull a few hairs (found them in the brush). but i still felt a difference.
now with dd1, she screamed and said it was making her eyes water. she hates the brush. it did not get thru her knots. i had to use the same method i use with a regular wide tooth comb but it wasn't any easier and she still complained. she begged me not to use it again on her.
dd2's reaction wasn't as bad and it worked better on her hair, but it still got stuck in some knots. again, it worked better when i did it the same way i usually do (wet with leave-in conditioner, work in small sections, starting at the ends and working up to the scalp). but still nothing like what i was expecting after reading everyone's reviews here. there is no way that i can use the way some people here described -- on dry hair and brushing from scalp to ends.

i really hoped that my girls would be able to brush their hair like Melaine described. they tried to do it themselves but they didn't love it. it still got stuck in their hair like any other brush or comb.

btw, Melaine, in that pic of your dd's hair after brushing with the TT, did you wet her hair or use any product?

Melaine
04-25-2011, 12:01 PM
what am i missing?! i bought it and tried it on myself and the girls. it worked on me nicely. not totally painless because i did feel it pull a few hairs (found them in the brush). but i still felt a difference.
now with dd1, she screamed and said it was making her eyes water. she hates the brush. it did not get thru her knots. i had to use the same method i use with a regular wide tooth comb but it wasn't any easier and she still complained. she begged me not to use it again on her.
dd2's reaction wasn't as bad and it worked better on her hair, but it still got stuck in some knots. again, it worked better when i did it the same way i usually do (wet with leave-in conditioner, work in small sections, starting at the ends and working up to the scalp). but still nothing like what i was expecting after reading everyone's reviews here. there is no way that i can use the way some people here described -- on dry hair and brushing from scalp to ends.

i really hoped that my girls would be able to brush their hair like Melaine described. they tried to do it themselves but they didn't love it. it still got stuck in their hair like any other brush or comb.

btw, Melaine, in that pic of your dd's hair after brushing with the TT, did you wet her hair or use any product?

We just brushed it when wet straight out of the bath. I also heavily conditioned as always and I don't really rinse all the conditioner out.

bubbaray
04-25-2011, 12:01 PM
DD#1 loves the Tangle Tamer. DD#2 likes it better than the dreaded brush, but its still not painless. I think it might be operator error (ie., I'm not using it right). I've just been brushing from top to bottom -- is that wrong??

Melaine
04-25-2011, 12:15 PM
DD#1 loves the Tangle Tamer. DD#2 likes it better than the dreaded brush, but its still not painless. I think it might be operator error (ie., I'm not using it right). I've just been brushing from top to bottom -- is that wrong??

Well, I guess it depends on the hair. I, out of necessity, move from the bottom to the top in little strokes. I will say that despite the curls, my kids do not have sensitive scalps, so they don't have discomfort unless it is really hitting a snag (which happens constantly with a regular brush).

bubbaray
04-25-2011, 12:56 PM
Well, I guess it depends on the hair. I, out of necessity, move from the bottom to the top in little strokes. I will say that despite the curls, my kids do not have sensitive scalps, so they don't have discomfort unless it is really hitting a snag (which happens constantly with a regular brush).

I tried it this way, much better. DD#2's hair is similiar to your DDs, depending on if I use styling product in her hair and a comb instead of a brush (frizz!).

bigsis
05-01-2011, 11:15 PM
I just tried the Wet Brush....I'm in awe! It usually took 10-15 (agonizing) minutes. It only took 2 minutes with this brush.

Thanks, BBB!

s7714
05-02-2011, 12:09 AM
The true test will be having DH use the brushes on their hair after a full day of school and activities. If the brush works successfully without tears in that situation then I'll be placing it on a pedestal, LOL! :wink2:

Updating my own post. DH used them this weekend when he gave the girls a bath. He used it both on their dry hair prior (lots of knots) and on post-bath wet hair with zero tears. He thinks the brushes are brilliant! :love5:

doberbrat
05-02-2011, 12:20 AM
I got the Tangle Teazer based on this thread last week. At first, I was totally unimpressed but I've since realized that it really works well for dd1's long thick wavy hair.

I happened to ask dh tonight what he thought of the brush. He laughed and said he thought it worked well - and when it breaks, we can get it at our local pet supply place ;)