PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Credit

Binkandabee
04-11-2011, 11:29 PM
DH got a strange credit rejection letter today from a company he never applied for a credit card from. It was our address, but his name was completely botched (althought it was the correct names and initials, they were all in the wrong order). Almost like a computer program had filled out the application and submitted it. Of course it was rejected because it didn't match up. BUT I am worried because someone somewhere tried (albeit failed) to get credit in DH's name. I think we need to put a credit freeze on his (and probably my) credit, but am not sure what this entails? Anyone give me some insight?

goldenpig
04-11-2011, 11:45 PM
You should call one of the three credit companies (Experian, Equifax, Transunion) and report it right away. They can put a temporary freeze on your accounts and will notify the two other companies. You should also call the police and make a report so it is on record. We did this when our house was broken into and our computer stolen. Then later someone tried to open a cell phone account in our name and it was blocked because of the freeze. If there is an actual attempted identity theft like that, the freeze is extended to seven years (otherwise I think it's for 3 months). In your case I'm not sure if you qualify already for the extended freeze, but you should talk to the credit agency about that. It's a minor inconvenience when you open new credit lines (they have to call you to confirm your identity), but better safe than sorry. Make sure to keep an eye out for anything else suspicious on your accounts as well (we signed up for one of those credit monitoring services for a few months). Good luck!