PDA

View Full Version : What do your shoes say??

Uno-Mom
04-12-2011, 01:12 AM
You might argue that this belongs either in Kid Wear or Bitching Posts but it isn't really about choosing clothing or venting. I'm actually curious whether anybody else has noticed this and/or if it rubs you the wrong way, too:

I glanced at toddler sandles at Target yesterday. All the boys' styles were rough and tumble for active little kids - think Teva with their sturdy well-treaded rubber soles. And what do they have for girls??? Delicate little pink and white things with slender leather straps and thin soles. There weren't any other options!

Now, I didn't really plan to buy shoes at Target. Shoes are the one item of clothing I spend a little extra cash on now that Sprog is exploring the outdoors. The brands I favor DO offer more action sandles for little girls. And I do *hope* Target's going to expand their inventory as spring progresses.

And I've got nothing against style, though I do favor funky-feminine over girly-girly.

Still, the message of those sissy sandles bugs me. Like it or not, Target is something of a leader in cultural trends. Isn't age one a little young to be telling our girls to walk carefully ... wear delicate clothing that favors appearance over function ... look pretty instead of run fast, jump and climb?

Maybe I was just in a "mood" yesterday, much in need of a nap! :) I do think it's food for thought and discussion, though. What do you think?

AshleyAnn
04-12-2011, 02:07 AM
I went shoe shopping for my DD today too and noticed the same thing. Lots of flipflip styles. No good for my late walker. My target did have a few choices that are not so dainty. They had several by circo that had nice solid bottoms. DD's are open toe but I think they had some closed toed ones made of white leather.

I looked at thier website and the strappy shoes get terrible reviews. Those thin bottoms are apparently cut a funky shape and the kids feet hang off the sides.

elliput
04-12-2011, 08:25 AM
I'm very picky about shoes and am willing to spend a bit more for them than most people I know IRL. What is comes down to is that I firmly believe good health starts from the ground up, so even for kids, I think the shoes need to be well made, offer good support, and be comfortable. Flip-flops are not even something that gets tried on- I am still hung up on that they are "shower shoes". LOL

Seitvonzu
04-12-2011, 08:33 AM
i've bought lu "boy shoes" since she was walking as her "playground shoes"-- the darker colors and "tougher" styles just work better for me. it doesn't bother me so much when the get dirty...etc. we have bought lots of shoes at target-- dress up, some "boy" sneakers, when she wasn't walking (eyeroll!) etc.

that said, i just ordered our first girl tennies (i mean, my child's ONLY 3 ;))the other day from land's end. they are grey/yellow-- i can't wait for them to get here! (they were under 9 dollars on sale and their shoes are really nice)

MamaMolly
04-12-2011, 09:31 AM
I bought Lula a pair of purple flowered Keen knock offs at Kohls, just so you know there are less expensive, sportier styles for girls available at other stores ;). I agree with you 100% BTW. I don't like that all the 'girl' sandals are open toe, thin sole, strappy, have a heel or wedge, or are in some way a mini-adult shoe.

tarahsolazy
04-12-2011, 10:38 AM
ITA, esp on the HEELED styles in toddler girls sizes. Seriously, a 3 year old is supposed to wear heels? I don't even wear the adult versions of those styles, and I am almost 40 (but a lifelong tomboy).

Its a sad reflection of our society's desire to sexualize little girls.

Kohl's is a great place to look for inexpensive appropriate sandals for play for girls, if you want a pink/purple/ or otherwise feminine look.

Uno-Mom
04-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Wow - I got up this morning thinking at least somebody would find my post annoying or offensive! Thanks, all, for taking it in the spirit meant.

I also wish there were more girls shoes in bright fun colors, like red, orange, bright purple! All the pastels seem to scream "don't get me dirty" or at least "If you get me dirty, I'll be ruined." But that doesn't bug me nearly as much as the funtionality part.

I'm amused that some of you resorted to boys sandles for your girls. That's what we did, too. We found a pair of boys rugged play sandles (Keens? I can't remember) at our consignment store. Brand new! Who cares if they're dark grey and black? Those will be her daycare sandles with their nice solid toes.

I gotta admit to some hypocrisy here: Sprog has a pair of orange leather, hightop, SeeKaiRun zipper boots that are *awesome* but not totally practical. :) That's MY kind of tough girl style! She insists on wearing them every.single.day on weekends, probably because Mommy's always wearing her Doc boots. Still, at least they have solid good tread and she can run in them, even if they're not the best for ankle development! (I did persuade her to swap for her tennies when we went for an backyard adventure on Sunday.)

HIU8
04-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Personally I have yet to buy DD a pair of sandals. She has owned sneakers, SR version of keens, and crocs. She did have dress shoes for the holidays with rubber soles though. I really don't think those dainty little kid shoes are appropriate for active play. My DD would a) ruin them in a week, b) fall and break something/twist something.

elliput
04-12-2011, 11:49 AM
I also wish there were more girls shoes in bright fun colors, like red, orange, bright purple! All the pastels seem to scream "don't get me dirty" or at least "If you get me dirty, I'll be ruined." But that doesn't bug me nearly as much as the funtionality part.
I hear you on this one. DD's shoes really need to be dirt colored.

minnie-zb
04-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Target does offer a variety and they do offer a lot of trendy shoes, but I think it is because most parents don't want to spend $$ on the shoes which get worn infreqently. Also, I'm guessing they are stocked right now for Easter and are thinking more dressy.

o_mom
04-12-2011, 12:06 PM
On the other side...

Why are all the boy's sandals huge, thick, clunky soles with deep treads and bright colored water fabrics?

I want a nice looking, closed-toe, leather or neutral fabric with a sole less than two inches thick sandal, not a tennis shoe that has had holes cut in it.

maestramommy
04-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Totally agree with you OP. This is one of the things that makes me crazy about shopping in mainstream stores like Target. The shoe section, esp. for summer is so form over function. Of course my girls go for it, and I feel like Sisyphus (sp?). But I keep plugging away, just cause I'm ornery like that. And I have a Dh that backs me up;)

BabbyO
04-12-2011, 12:21 PM
This trend in all clothing (not just shoes) drives me nuts! I'm deperately hoping that #2 is another boy for this exact reason. I hate all the pink, frilly crap for girls and the fact that there isn't much of a happy medium (from what I can see). Shoes just put me over the top...I agree with the poster who said nearly all boys shoes are too athletic, too!

AnnieW625
04-12-2011, 12:32 PM
I think it's just Easter shoes this time of year. While I don't notice a whole rack or Keen, Lands End or LLB Bean water style shoes at my Target during the summer they do have them, but that could be because I live near the beach. I would wait a couple of weeks and see if the style changes.

FWIW, I have bought DD1 Salt Water Sandals since she was 2 yrs. old. I grew up wearing them and they are still very well made shoes. They look like kids shoes, not tween shoes so I think that is why I like them so much. Definitely not what you'd find at a Target, but they aren't uber expensive like Umis, Hanna Andersson, or other pricy brands, which also IMHO are trending to form over function too.

JamiMac
04-12-2011, 12:39 PM
On the other side...

Why are all the boy's sandals huge, thick, clunky soles with deep treads and bright colored water fabrics?

I want a nice looking, closed-toe, leather or neutral fabric with a sole less than two inches thick sandal, not a tennis shoe that has had holes cut in it.

I totally agree! I don't like those shoes for boys. We had a pair of Keen's last summer and that is as "sporty" as I would ever buy a sandal. I can't stand the sport sandals for boys or girls. If they are going to be that active I put them in athletic shoes and socks.

I also would not doubt the ability for girls to play in dressier sandals. My girls are both on the tomboyish side but dress girly. Trust me, a pair of sandals has never stopped them from finding lizards, digging for worms etc. My girls have always been the ones with tutus and bug houses. :)

HIU8
04-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Well, my own sister buys DN all her shoes at Target. I'm talking for everyday wear. BIL will not allow her to spend over a certain amount on DN's shoes. I've been trying to show her sites to go to for a better everyday shoe for DN that won't break the bank. I'm talking about a better selection etc... Not that all Target shoes are bad (although neither of my kids with wide feet can wear shoes from Target--they don't have XW and XXW).

blue
04-12-2011, 03:04 PM
OP: I agree with a lot of what you are saying for girls shoes, especially the part about rough and tumble play and thinner materials. I notice it with girls/ women's jeans vs boys/men jeans too.... I disliked how the girls jeans where often thinner material while I was growing up compared to the boys: (like I wasn't suppose to be running and playing outside as much as the boys, and therefore didn't need jeans that were thicker and could better stand up to play with out getting holes in the knees :irked:)

On the other side...

:yeahthat: I was actually checking out the girls shoes the other day for DS because the soles on the little toddler boys ones are so thick (which cause him to trip a lot).... I didn't think all the pink would go well with his coloring so I passed on buying any. But, on the "upside" with the thicker soled boys shoes at my local B&M store, DS can't run as fast with out tripping and falling, which makes him easier to catch when he bolts ;).

Uno-Mom
04-12-2011, 08:33 PM

I was actually checking out the girls shoes the other day for DS because the soles on the little toddler boys ones are so thick (which cause him to trip a lot).... I didn't think all the pink would go well with his coloring so I passed on buying any. But, on the "upside" with the thicker soled boys shoes at my local B&M store, DS can't run as fast with out tripping and falling, which makes him easier to catch when he bolts ;).

That's a good point. The boys shoes were way too thick for my 16 month-er. It seems like you need to go to $$er brands to get a really flexible sole.

The moral for me is to keep scouring the consignment stores for like-new nice brands. But that wanders away from my original rant about gender stereotypes. I'm glad I'm not the only person to notice and get irked by this trend! (Though the point about Easter season is well taken.)

MamaMolly
04-12-2011, 09:37 PM
FWIW, I have bought DD1 Salt Water Sandals since she was 2 yrs. old. I grew up wearing them and they are still very well made shoes. They look like kids shoes, not tween shoes so I think that is why I like them so much.

Hey! I grew up wearing them, too! We were allowed to choose one pair of either red or navy, and mom insisted on one white. Each summer. I remember the year I bought the red white and blue combo. I loved (!!) them!!!!!!! http://www.zappos.com/salt-water-sandal-by-hoy-shoes-salt-water-the-original-sandal-toddler-youth-navy

MZS V
04-13-2011, 09:21 AM
I agree with all PPs, and I hope that the Easter season really is at play here, and that we'll see some variety soon. I did find knock-off Keens for 2yo DD at Old Navy a few months ago in navy blue, and she wears those more than any others right now. I don't get the heeled toddler shoes at all!

gatorsmom
04-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Also, I'm guessing they are stocked right now for Easter and are thinking more dressy.

This is what I was going to say. What Target offers really depends on the seasons. I have noticed that they offer more formal/dressy shoes around Easter and Christmas. Same goes for my boys. I can find dressy, black patent-like dress shoes at Christmas time only.

I bought Sisi these a week or so ago because I thought they would look nice with her Easter dress but also be functional this summer. I like that her toes are covered but they are still "airy."

http://www.target.com/Toddler-Circo-Delpha-Fisherman-Sandal/dp/B00441797I/ref=sc_pd_gwvub_3_title