PDA

View Full Version : How long does Rubella/Measles vax last for adults

niccig
04-12-2011, 02:06 AM
I have to give proof to the university that I have measales/rubella immunization. I had the vax in 2001. Is it still good or do I have to go off and have another one...hoping it's fine as otherwise have to make Dr's appt..and getting annoyed with all the college hoops to jump through just to register for classes next semester. I also have to take a writing exam - having written a Master's thesis apparently doesn't get me out of doing this.

ETA. I had measles, so I should be good for that. It's the Rubella that might need to get booster..or I suppose you get all at once.

Multimama
04-12-2011, 05:19 AM
If you had the normal series of shots including a final one as a teenager, they shouldn't require you to get another one. (How long immunity really lasts and how complete it is is another question, but normally people do not receive MMR vaccines after they receive the typical childhood course.)

I'm not a doctor, but that's just my understanding of it.

scrooks
04-12-2011, 07:36 AM
I would just call your doc and ask. I swear I was told 10 years but maybe I am getting confused with tetanus.

Dr C
04-12-2011, 07:39 AM
my understanding is that once you're immune, it's lifelong. BUT not all people who get the vaccine become immune (that's the reasoning behind the second dose--to catch the people who didn't respond the first time around). When you had a baby, your OB probably tested you for immunity to Rubella--that's pretty standard. I would call them and ask if they have that record. If you are Rubella immune, I'd say you're probably good to go.

ETA the college probably has something specific in their requirement--like you have to have had two doses or provide proof of immunity.

marymoo86
04-12-2011, 08:54 AM
My vax was in childhood 30 yrs ago and they tested for immunity during my pregnancy. still immune.

bubbaray
04-12-2011, 08:58 AM
The only way to know if you still have immunity is to have a blood test known as a "titre" done. I had the vax as a child, but at age 18 had a summer job in a maternity hospital and needed proof. They had me do the titre and it was low, so I got the vax again. When I had my children 20 yrs later, titre was still high.

drako
04-12-2011, 08:58 AM
I had the vaccine as a child or teenager (whenever it's given). I had very low immunity when I was tested for Rubella when pregnant with DD. I had to wait to get a booster after DD was born.