PDA

View Full Version : Termites- Ick!!!

mommylamb
04-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Well, this morning, DH went down to our laundry room to feed our cats only to find we've been invaded by some sort of insect and I'm pretty confident it's termites. ICK!!!! I'm feeling super itchy just thinking of it. They weren't there at all last night, so I'm thinking they must have hatched. We've called an exterminator for today, but I guess we're going to have to get one of those monthly plans. How much are those things? Any way they can do the monthly thing with lower key chemicals? As for the extermination today, I know folks are going to say not to do heavy chemicals, but sorry, there are gross bugs all over my floor so I'm fine by chemicals. YUCK. Sorry, so upset.

Melbel
04-12-2011, 07:39 AM
So sorry! We had an ongoing nightmare with termites in our first home. The situation was so bad that the termite company holding our repair bond ultimately bought our house (after a series of negotiations). You can find pictures online of termites, and other bugs that are often confused for termites online. There are different types of termites (different jobs within a colony) that look different from one another. In the spring, you often see swarmers, winged termites, who are attempting to set up new colonies.

Hands down, the chemical you want is Termidor. It is absolutely effective if applied properly. I suggest going with a well established local company over one of the big names in the business.

There are 2 kinds of bonds you can get - repair and treatment. Since you may have preexisting damage if the current infestation is termites or another wood destroying organism, the repair bond may not be worthwhile.

I have to run, but would be happy to answer more questions later.

Green_Tea
04-12-2011, 08:07 AM
No BTDT, but so sorry that you have to deal with it. :hug:

mommylamb
04-12-2011, 09:06 AM
Well, it is indeed termites. The exterminator came out today and they're coming out tomorrow again to drill the holes and put the stuff down. I just hope we caught them early and that there isn't much damage. So grossed out. It is a local company that we're using. The contract DH signed includes getting rid of the ones we have and a year guarantee (which I guess we'll be continuing in future years). Always nice to put out a big chunk of change on something you weren't expecting. The beauties of homeownership.