PDA

View Full Version : New Swing Set

lhafer
04-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Just wanted to say we finally decided on a new swing set for the girls, and hired someone to put it together yesterday. So far it's awesome!

Before, we had a small metal Flexible Flyer swing set. I got it for about $150 and I just wanted to see if it would be used at all. Well, my DD1 used it pretty much daily. So I decided to upgrade it to a bigger better one, and one her younger 1 year old sister could grow in to as well.

My problem was the size of our backyard. It's long and narrow. So I was limited to the style of set (slide had to come off the end), and how wide the set was.

I finally decided on a Gorilla set (http://www.gorillaplaysets.com/Swing-Sets-s/31.htm). They have awesome warranties, and the wood is much sturdier (like Rainbow or Kid Structures) vs sets that Walmart, Costco, and TRU sells. Their sets are all cedar (vs imported wood of cheaper sets). It comes pretreated and presealed. I decided to pay more and go with a wooden roof because we get strong storms with lots of wind and the occasional hurricane here, and all the tarped sets I have seen around the neighborhood look ratty.

Here's the old small metal swing set (I sold this on CL and it was sold and gone out of my yard in less than 24 hours!):

And here's the new one (Gorilla Blue Ridge Overlook Deluxe):

blue
04-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Very nice looking swing set :thumbsup: ! Thanks for posting pics. Hope your girls are having fun on it.

billysmommy
04-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Love it!! I bet the girls are having a blast.

ray7694
04-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Did you find a good deal on the set?

lhafer
04-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Did you find a good deal on the set?

When I calculated it off the Gorilla website (set + 2 person glider + shipping), it was $1,861.82.

I ordered it from this website: http://www.woodenplayscapes.com/ for$1,729.99 (set + 2 person glider). Shipping was $20. And I had it in a few days.

Then I paid someone to put it together for us. My husband was reluctantly willing, but I knew he would be b!tching and moaning the entire time, and it would have taken him forever, and he wouldn't have been able to even start it until next weekend. So that money was well worth it to me (and him).

s7714
05-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Thank you for the pictures, that really helps me envision what would work in our yard, because we have a long narrow yard too. I didn't even think about the slide coming out from the end instead of the front or back... I just started searching for a set so I'll have to check out the Gorilla ones.

s7714
05-17-2011, 12:17 AM
Bumping this up because I have a question for you!

I noticed on the Gorilla site it mentions them being a free standing design that you don't have to anchor down. Did you anchor yours or leave it free standing? I love the idea of not having to dig into the ground or use cement, but am wondering just how stable it is when it's not anchored. We get pretty intense winds in our area as well.

TwinFoxes
05-17-2011, 08:28 AM
Very nice swing set!

When I clicked I didn't scroll, so only I saw the first picture and was a little confused! :bag

elbenn
05-17-2011, 10:36 AM
How many feet away from the fence does the frame of the swingset start? Is there any problem with kids swinging too close to the fence?

lhafer
06-03-2011, 01:06 PM
How many feet away from the fence does the frame of the swingset start? Is there any problem with kids swinging too close to the fence?

Sorry - I never saw this post!! It looks a little closer than it actually is. No - she can swing the full length of the swing and have several feet left between her and the fence.