PDA

View Full Version : class type chosen!

karstmama
04-12-2011, 08:33 AM
ok, jameson has a dx of pdd-nos from the behavioral ped, and dev delay on the educational front. he's always been in the cdfa/iep system because of his prematurity, and stayed because of his developmental delays.

so his age 3 to pre-k coordinator was talking this winter about having him go to regular pre-k through the 'more at 4' program. his speech therapist cornered me about 6 weeks ago & told me there was an aba/autistic pre-k classroom in the county.

i wasn't 'married' to the idea of him going into that class, but was concerned & frankly pissed off that it hadn't been presented as a choice. so i did an end run around his coordinator to find out more, so i wouldn't get his therapist in trouble. i'll go to the class tomorrow for a visit.

anyway, he had the assessment with the psychologists in a pre-k type setting, and had a typical time there, which was good. they didn't do an ados, so aren't calling him officially autistic in the educational system, but developmentally delayed. if the autistic label will help him later, i'm not against it, but right now the dd is getting him what he needs...

...because!! during his iep meeting yesterday to discuss the eval, we all agreed that the smaller exceptional child pre-k was the right place for him! woot! the only not-so-good part is that it hasn't been decided where the class will be, in what school. i hope it's one close-ish. the only deal-breaker is if it was in the school at aurora, since that would mean 1 1/2 hr drive or combo drive & ferry ride one-way - but i'm not expecting it to be there.

anyway, thought i'd share the first steps into the public school system with an exceptional child...

snowbunnies300
04-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Good for you and your son! It is nice that you have gotten into the school of your choice. Hopefully it is in a school near by and you don't have to scramble to find a different school closer. Keep the P & PT! :cheerleader1:

crl
04-17-2011, 12:23 PM
It's great when the team agrees! I hope it is close to you.

Catherine