PDA

View Full Version : Any DLand Restaurants you like?

Twoboos
04-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Wondering what to hit. We have reservations for Blue Bayou dinner, Minnie's breakfast, and Ariel's lunch. (One each day.)

Any other good places to check out? They have a 25% off dining discount for off-hours at some places, so we'll probably be hitting a couple of these:

French Market
Hungry Bear (new menu)
Rancho del Zocalo
Red Rocket Pizza Port (although disboards says bad pizza!)
Tomorrowland Terrace
Villiage Haus

bubbaray
04-12-2011, 10:31 PM
We liked Wine Country Trattoria -- and if you have dinner there, you get reserved seating for World of Color. I HIGHLY recommend going this route.

Of your list, we would rank in order (best to meh):
Rancho del whatever
Village Haus (is this the one by Princess Fantasy Faire? If so, its pretty good and has kids meals)
Red Rocket Pizza -- its OK, it wasn't bad by any stretch and they have hot chilli sprinkles if you ask.
Tomorrowland terrace -- meh
Hungry Bear -- meh , but when we ate there, it was the old menu)

Haven't been to French Market or Blue Bayou due to fish allergy. I am not a fan of the Carnation Cafe.

We do like the margaritas over at California Adventure. ;)

Twoboos
04-13-2011, 09:07 AM
We do like the margaritas over at California Adventure. ;)

OK, do tell - where are these exactly? :54: I think I am going to need a marg at some point in this madness.

Tondi G
04-13-2011, 01:59 PM
There is a walk up counter outside of Pirates that has yummy gumbo in a sour dough breadbowl! My whole family enjoys it and then we take the crackers they give you and feed the ducks.

The Pizza Port is alright.... the pizza is not that bad. My kids like it! The pasta is ok too. The salads are better if you ask them to make one up minus an ingredient so it's fresher than the ones sitting out on the counter!

Rancho Del Zocalo I haven't been to in a long time so I don't know.

The Village Haus has been closed for renovation and recently they added a couple of new items to the menu to go with the alpine theme, chicken sausage on a pretzel roll with saurkraut and apple streudel etc. in addition to their burgers and pizza. here is a menu

http://allears.net/dlr/din/menu/men_vil.htm

The little counter Bengal BBQ place across from Indiana Jones and the Jungle cruise has pretty yummy chicken skewers and breadsticks. Good for a quick bite when you don't want something fried. The stand at the exit of Jungle cruise has fresh fruit and usually carrots and ranch .... we would buy this and eat it with a couple of chicken skewers and it was a good snack for our family.

http://allears.net/dlr/din/menu/men_bb.htm

I haven't been to the Hungry bear since they redid the menu... the wait has always been FOREVER at this place.... even on not so busy days.

Over at California Adventure

The at the end of the sourdough factory tour you will come out next to the restaurant there and they have yummy turkey sandwiches on sourdough. Their shrimp louis salad in a bread bowl is pretty tasty too. The line can be quite long here sometimes. so far everything I have eaten from here has been pretty good. You can buy loafs of Sourdough bread here that you sample on the factory tour.

http://allears.net/dlr/din/menu/men_pwc.htm

There in the area is a mexican place too which is alright .... the Margaritas are in this area! There is a place to buy beer too if you are not a margarita drinker.

Wine country Trattoria is nice

http://allears.net/dlr/din/menu/men_trat.htm

bubbaray
04-13-2011, 02:08 PM
The Margs are right across from the sourdough bakery that Tondi linked to above.

Tenasparkl
04-15-2011, 03:01 PM
We've had lunch at the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ the last few times and it has worked out great. There's a set price per person (under 3 is free) and you get to sit outside in a shaded relatively quiet area. My daughter loves to run around the trees and go up to the stage (not so quiet when there's a show going on although there wasn't one when we were just there). Both times we've been there Woody and Jessie have stopped right outside and it was a great way to visit with them.

AnnieW625
04-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Since we live close we usually just bring our lunch, but if we do eat at Disneyland I love the Corn Dog booth right at the end of Main Street (nearly the baby nursery center).

We ate at Rancho El Zocalo once and the food was good, but DH and I both got horrible gas pains the following day. I think I had a salad and DH had enchiladas.

Tomorrowland Terrace is not so good anymore, it used to be one of the more reasonably priced places there but a hamburger is now $9, plus the one time we ate there in the last 3 yrs. it wasn't so great. I got a salad there that time.

Pizza Port: some people complain it's nasty, but both DH and I haven't had any problems with it. I got the mini Mickey cheese pizza for myself, and DD1. I don't remember what DH got. It was about $20 for the three of us to eat there including drinks.

French Quarter: last ate there in high school (so mid 1990s) and it was pretty good, but it was a buffet (not sure if it is now or not) then and everything was separate and my brother didn't realize that everything was different priced. My grandma ended up paying $15 for his meal that night and that was a lot back then.

Honestly unless you are getting a dining plan and if I was getting one I'd be eating at Blue Bayou everyday (because it's the most expensive so you'd get the best value) I don't think Disney food esp. for dinner is all that great. For the $60 to $85 you'd most likely spend there for dinner for 3 you could get a really nice meal at a non Disney restaurant near the resort.

pinay
04-16-2011, 01:54 AM
We were at DL earlier this week and ate at Hungry Bear- I wouldn't say the food was anything too exciting, although I did like that they had sweet potato fries :) It also wasn't very crowded since Splash Mountain is closed for renovations and there's not much to do over there (DD did like the Winnie the Pooh ride though)

Over in CA we ate at Boudin (the sourdough bread place) and it was OK- DH was underwhelmed by the salad I got, his clam chowder was on the bland side. Service was a little slow and the line wasn't even that long. I probably wouldn't go back again, esp since I've had much better experiences at Boudin's outside of the resort.

bisous
04-17-2011, 03:09 PM
First off, Tondi I totally agree with all your advice on restaurants! You've nailed some of my favorite places! Except that while my kids like Pizza Port just fine, I'm not the hugest fan. But I love, love love the soup places and the Bengal BBQ!

Here's your list and my comments:

French Market: Great spot to eat as in great ambiance. TBH we usually eat our (brought from home) lunch there! YUCKY food. Sorry! Really bad cafeteria fare. I got a refund!
Hungry Bear (new menu): Haven't eaten there but I like relaxing and watching the ducks there. If the menu is decent I'd give it a try.
Rancho del Zocalo: This is a fave in our circle. I don't care for corn tortillas but the food is pretty good and the kids were happy!
Red Rocket Pizza Port (although disboards says bad pizza!): Yeah, not a fan of the pizza personally but haven't tried the pasta. Kids liked the pizza just fine.
Tomorrowland Terrace: We eat there a lot (and watch Jedi training!) but it isn't great. I haven't eaten there since they've raised the prices. YIKES!
Villiage Haus: Again, haven't eaten there since the menu change. The food was tolerable.

Here's a few I haven't seen mentioned.

If we eat there, we like to eat at the Stage Door Cafe. It is next to the Golden nugget and you can get quality chicken strips and fries for a decent price. We find it filling and both grown ups and kids like it so it works for us. Be sure to ask for ALL the dipping sauces!

Also, there is a great place in DCA for hotdogs. The name escapes me right now but my MIL loves that spot. A kid fave and not bad for grown-ups either!

I LOVE the sourdough bread place in DCA. Great food! Probably my fave!

I've done Wine Country Trattoria and it was a very nice experience. We also like the Storyteller's Cafe(is that right??) in the Grand Californian and it is VERY close to the attractions at DCA.

Have fun!

mjhom
04-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Hmm... not sure about how others feel, but we've been to French Market a couple of times & like the food- the citrus chicken & the salmon. The portions are big- to match the price - around $12-13 per entree, including mashed potatoes, cornbread loaf & veggies. I go there every time we're at Disneyland. Last time was in July 2010 so it may have changed??

Another fav of ours is the fried chicken at Plaza Inn. yummy, crispy fried chicken with the trimmings. Ordered the roast beef last time & not making that mistake any more. Fried chicken is the way to go.

of course, we love the corn dogs- not as good as a few years ago, but still good.

Pizza port was ok- just had the pizza but want to try the pasta as the fusili has gotten good reviews... looks like a ton of calories, but hey, were on vaca, right?