PDA

View Full Version : What age for b-ball hoop?

Claki
04-13-2011, 12:39 PM
MIL wants to get DS a plastic toddler bball hoop for Easter. I'm wondering if he is too young to get much out of it. Plus I don't have room indoors and hate to have to deal with storing it in the garage. If we have it as an indoor toy I'm afraid about encouraging throwing the ball in our house -- especially with a newborn coming.

Should we wait another year? I'd almost rather get him a climber for the yard.

I hate to be the one always raining on MILs parade, but she is always giving non-age appropriate space-hogging toys.

SnuggleBuggles
04-13-2011, 01:20 PM
We bought ds2 a Nerf hoop when he was 2yo and it has been a hit!! It is on the back of a door that is in our family room. I love it b/c it takes up no space really.

Beth

WatchingThemGrow
04-13-2011, 01:26 PM
With a newborn and summer coming up, I'd go for a climber. We never had one indoors, but there has always been a desire for an indoor climber when they were at that stage and I was unable to take them outside b/c of pumping or whatever.

katydid1971
04-13-2011, 01:42 PM
As soon an my kids could stand they loved to play basket ball. We have this one, http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-EasyScore-Basketball-Set/dp/B00000J4I6 DS is too big for it now but DD still loves it.

vonfirmath
04-13-2011, 01:56 PM
MIL wants to get DS a plastic toddler bball hoop for Easter. I'm wondering if he is too young to get much out of it. Plus I don't have room indoors and hate to have to deal with storing it in the garage. If we have it as an indoor toy I'm afraid about encouraging throwing the ball in our house -- especially with a newborn coming.

Should we wait another year? I'd almost rather get him a climber for the yard.

I hate to be the one always raining on MILs parade, but she is always giving non-age appropriate space-hogging toys.

I'd get a climber at that age (2) and put off the hoop at least one more year!

You can always use a laundry basket and let him throw balls into it from a distance away to get used to the idea.

My son got a climber for his 2nd birthday and used it for a year to year and a half

Another good outside toy idea at the age: A run-bike/balance bike. My son actually uses that MORE than the climber now that he is 3 and until recently I could have strolled along with a baby in a stroller and taken a nice walk while he enjoyed himself. (now we go to a park with the bike and helmet in the back of the van. I sit at a picnic table and he goes back and forth along the paths. With me pregnant and him accomplished I can no longer keep up! I expect even after the baby is born we'll do that for a while -- then switch to a blanket on the ground for baby to play on while he plays on his bike and etc.)

AlbrightRC
04-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Our son has had one since 18 months old. We have it in the house in a corner and he knows he is only supposed to throw the ball at the hoop. Its an adjustable one so it can grow with him.

Claki
04-13-2011, 08:22 PM
I'm so conflicted! Thanks for all the input. Do must people use these as indoor toys or outdoor toys? Our main living area is just one large room with family/dining/and living all open to each other. Not exactly a great room because a galley kitchen is in the middle, but I don't have separate rooms. All his toys are in the corner of this room. And with baby swings and bouncey chairs returning soon I really don't want m house to become an indoor basketball playground. DH thinks it's a great idea though.

DH also pointed out that a climber is three times the price of a basketball hoop.

katydid1971
04-13-2011, 09:44 PM
A climber is more than 3 times the price of the basketball hoop. We keep ours indoors all the time. The ball that comes with the Little Tykes one is very soft. We have it in a corner, it has about a 2 foot square foot print. It has been a very popular toy here and nothing has been broken. I have plates hanging on the wall opposite and they have been hit (by DH :shake:) but not hurt in anyway.