PDA

View Full Version : skipping a carseat?

ehf
04-13-2011, 08:48 PM
My DH and I are taking our 20 mo DD to the Dominican Republic on Saturday.

She has always had a carseat at all of our previous vacation destinations. DD rides in Boulevards in our cars. We traveled with one once and it was SO HEAVY and a total nightmare. So, I bought a Scenera for this vacation just in case (and can take it back to Target if we don't use it).

My sister, parents, and several friends are encouraging us just not to take a carseat at all. She would only be in it for the 10 minute ride to/from the airport to the resort. When my sister took the same trip with her 15 mo DS a month ago, she just held him in her lap.

That's crazy, right? If DD is going to be traveling by car at all, she needs to be in a seat, right?

I don't want to subject DH to carrying a carseat around again for nothing, but I'm also really unable to let go of having a seat.

Thoughts?

LMPC
04-13-2011, 08:52 PM
For the peace of mind it will give you, I would take the Scenera. It's easy to travel with. I took DD in a NYC cab once without a carseat and was a total mess (and for the most part I'm pretty chilled about things). Why stress yourself out when there's an easy alternative? Just my .02.

jjordan
04-13-2011, 09:34 PM
If you're going in a car or van, then I'd definitely take a car seat. If it's a bus that doesn't have seatbelts then don't bother.

ahrimie
04-13-2011, 10:05 PM
I've done it before... I know it's not the safest but we traveled to Korea (where it's not legally enforced) with just me and DD while (still) pregnant. I just couldn't carry everything with me and I had to choose carseat or stroller. We did ride some cars/taxis but not much. The rest of the time, it was subways or walking. I will say it was really hard riding a car without a seat since we normally do travel with it but it was such a small portion of our trip.

I just wanted to let you know my experience...

If your DH will be with you maybe taking the seat isn't a big deal but by myself, I just didn't have enough hands and feet :P

wellyes
04-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Taking a taxi? Bring the car seat. Zero question in my mind. There is no flippin way I'd take a toddler on Caribbean roads with no car seat. Especially around the airports.

In a large resort shuttle? Eh, I'd probably skip it.

MamaMolly
04-13-2011, 11:32 PM
We take ours when we travel and they are big, heavy monsters. I just don't want to ever have an 'if only' moment. Even for just those 10 minutes. Also, what about on the plane? Did you see that recent footage of the little commuter plane that got clipped by the jumbo jet's wing at JFK? As soon as I saw it I mentioned to DH about putting the baby in a car seat on the plane (he always wants to check them). He agreed it would be safer.

mom2binsd
04-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Have you ever ridden in a taxi there??? I have at many resorts and wished I'd had a seat for me!!!

Take the Scenera, install it with the lapbelt if need be, but at least your child won't be a human airbag while your driver is careening through the streets, over bumpy roads etc, not to mention the other drivers.

Katigre
04-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Take the Scenara and use it.

arivecchi
04-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Take the Scenara and use it.:yeahthat:

It barely weighs anything and drivers in the Caribbean are maniacs (and I say this as someone who grew up in the Caribbean!)

WolfpackMom
04-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Have you ever ridden in a taxi there??? I have at many resorts and wished I'd had a seat for me!!!

Take the Scenera, install it with the lapbelt if need be, but at least your child won't be a human airbag while your driver is careening through the streets, over bumpy roads etc, not to mention the other drivers.

:yeahthat:
Went last year, oh my word please bring a car seat!

Katigre
04-14-2011, 11:10 AM
:yeahthat:

It barely weighs anything and drivers in the Caribbean are maniacs (and I say this as someone who grew up in the Caribbean!)
Let me put it this way - it would be safer for you to not use a carseat on US roads than it would be to not use a carseat on Caribbean roads (especially in a populous location like the DR). Google the car accident rates and death rates in the developing world vs. the developed world and it will make you glad to bring a lightweight carseat.

ehf
04-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks, everyone.

I have borrowed a Gogo Kidz Travelmate in case we decide that's good, and I have been given some sort of strap thingy to attach the carseat to the rolling luggage, in case we decide that's good, and tomorrow night we'll have to buckle down and make a plan.

I think I'll take the seat. DH will be there and can help carry...

wellyes
04-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Is it the really cheap one?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Scenera-5-Point-Convertible-Car-Seat-Black-Santee/13004563
I've seen it for as low as $34 at K-Mart.
That's almost disposable. Use it for what you need and then discard it! (Leave it in the resort or airport with a "free" sign on it).
Wasteful, obviously, but it's an option to consider as you think through logisitics.

MamaMolly
04-15-2011, 12:27 AM
Is it the really cheap one?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Scenera-5-Point-Convertible-Car-Seat-Black-Santee/13004563
I've seen it for as low as $34 at K-Mart.
That's almost disposable. Use it for what you need and then discard it! (Leave it in the resort or airport with a "free" sign on it).
Wasteful, obviously, but it's an option to consider as you think through logisitics.

But if you think about it, is it really wasteful if someone there can get their hands on a car seat who otherwise couldn't? I see leaving even an inexpensive seat as a very generous thing to do. :)

ehf
04-15-2011, 09:01 AM
I think we'll hang onto it as our travel seat, so I don't have to go through this again! I got it at Target for $45, so it's reasonable enough.

I have gotten so many nice free things from my local moms group, though, that I'll definitely pass it along one day as a seat with likely little wear to it.

A total stranger gave me her Volo for this trip so I didn't have to take the BOB, which is also now helping.

Gotta love fellow moms...

LoveBeingMrs
04-15-2011, 09:19 AM
You can also try to reserve a ride from the airport to resort in advance, and request a car seat. This is what we're doing for our trip...

Neatfreak
04-15-2011, 09:20 AM
Can you confirm that the taxis in the Dominican have seatbelts in the back? I've taken carseats on holidays to parts of the developing world and not been able to use them