PDA

View Full Version : BPA-free water filter/ filtration system

sansdieu
04-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Ok, I admit I have not done much research. I'm hoping someone would steer me in the right direction. I'm pretty sure my BRITA pitcher contains BPA, and I would love to move on to something better. Are faucet filter better?

I showed DH the reverse osmosis system from Costco, but he thinks it's too bulky and will not fit under the sink. Plus, apparently it wasters nearly 25% of water treated.

Any other thoughts?

brittone2
04-14-2011, 02:58 PM
I don't know if it will help but I just posted a Q about RO systems in the Lounge. I'll be checking this thread too if you don't mind :)

There are countertop RO systems available. Not sure about BPA free ones. I think Brita actually *is* BPA free though? However, there is the new research out stating that other plastics also leech estrogen mimickers (sigh) so I'm not sure how helpful that is.

Some of the RO systems apparently have BPA in their holding tanks, but there are "tankless" models and I've found a few that advertise being BPA free. I haven't gotten to research it enough yet, but since our posts are kind of related I thought I'd mention that.

sansdieu
04-15-2011, 04:45 PM
I don't know if it will help but I just posted a Q about RO systems in the Lounge. I'll be checking this thread too if you don't mind :)

There are countertop RO systems available. Not sure about BPA free ones. I think Brita actually *is* BPA free though? However, there is the new research out stating that other plastics also leech estrogen mimickers (sigh) so I'm not sure how helpful that is.

Some of the RO systems apparently have BPA in their holding tanks, but there are "tankless" models and I've found a few that advertise being BPA free. I haven't gotten to research it enough yet, but since our posts are kind of related I thought I'd mention that.

What's the link to your lounge post? I get overwhelmed with the sheer number of posts there; so I rarely read it... ;)