PDA

View Full Version : Medela PIS or Ameda Purely Yours Ultra???

ckelly
04-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Or is there a better option? I am trying to decide which pump I want to get for dd2. With dd1 I borrowed (I knwo, you're not supposed to!) a close friend's PIS and I could never really get a lot but that may have been due to by the time I started using it my milk supply was already starting to go. I also had the milk get backed up into the tubing A LOT and it was a pain to have to clean it after each pumping. But, I know that its a good pump so would be willing to give it another shot. I'm a SAHM so won't be pumping full time just to boost supply and use if I have to be gone from baby. I don't really want to use a manual pump...

Is the Ameda Purely Yours Ultra just as good (or better?) than a medela? I'm kind of leaning towards that one because there is a $50 rebate on it right now and with my 10% amazon registry completion discount I can get it for around $165.

But, if it's not very good I can spend more on something better (yay for it being covered by my HSA!) :cheerleader1:

Thanks!

Purple18
04-15-2011, 04:02 PM
I have a PISA (backpack) and love it (if you can love a breastpump). I never had back up issues and it gave me good power for a long stretch of regular pumping (2-3x per day for about 6 months) for DS1 and same for DS2 (it seemed to lose power when DS2 was around 10 months old, but I was getting ready to wean anyway by cutting back on pumping at work. I liked how easy it was to come by the replacement/extra parts, etc... I don't have any experience with the Ameda - everyone I know has a PISA.

chottumommy
04-15-2011, 04:28 PM
I had an Ameda with DS1 and pumped atleast 3 times a day (WOHM) for almost a year and didn't have any problems with Ameda. Never tried a PISA. PISA might be better but if you're not a regular pumper, Ameda should be more than enough. Replacement parts can be bought on ebay.

mariza
04-15-2011, 04:31 PM
I got the Ameda purely yours for 6 years ago. I loved that it had a "closed system" and was safe to let others use because the milk only comes into contact with the tubing. I used it in 2005 with my first, then 2006-2007 with my 2nd. I gave it to my cousin in 2009 who used it for her first (with a new tube kit of course). It is still going strong as my cousin is expecting her 2nd baby next month and plans to use the Ameda. I got the one that came with the backpack, but ended up hating the bulkiness of the backpack and found that a small bag worked better for my needs (it's cheaper too).

kristac
04-16-2011, 05:27 PM
I had both with DS1 (exclusively pumped for 15 months). I like the PIS way better. My Ameda always sounded like it was mocking me.

Beth24
04-16-2011, 06:08 PM
I've also had both and I am very happy with the Ameda for half the price! It works really well, and the noise doesn't bother me (mocking or otherwise, lol)! I got the cheapest model, without the carry bag and it works great. I am also a SAHM, and use the pump like you intend to.

ckelly
04-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Thanks all for the input. I think I'm going to go with the ameda. I think it will suit my lifestyle best :)