PDA

View Full Version : Is this ok to wear to a wedding?

ohsara430
04-16-2011, 12:27 AM
I have to go to SIL's wedding in May. it's an evening wedding, but won't be a particularly fancy wedding and I'm sure people will be a wide range of clothes. DH & I are not looking forward to the wedding but he agreed to be an usher and was asked to wear a red shirt and black tie (eewww!).

Would it be ok to wear navy blue linen pants with cute strappy heels and a shirt like this?
http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=31244&N=1200005&pCategoryId=3939&categoryId=183&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_183&loc=TN&defaultColor=Wild%20Aster&defaultSizeType=Regular
or this
http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=31198&N=1200005&pCategoryId=3939&categoryId=183&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_183&loc=TN&defaultColor=Desert%20Sky&defaultSizeType=Regular

I don't like to wear dresses and I'll be chasing after 14 mo old DD. I am just soooo much more comfortable in pants than a skirt or dress. I have a coral colored dress I could wear but with DH in red we would be a hot mess of clashing colors so I don't want to do that.

TwinFoxes
04-16-2011, 06:04 AM
Linen tends to be considered a casual daytime material, because it wrinkles so easily. If you're going to wear pants I think you should pick something dressier. Those blouses are cute. :)

Will it become a "thing" if you wear pants? I think iin some social circles it would be considered odd for a woman to wear pants.

cvanbrunt
04-16-2011, 08:00 AM
That seems too casual for an evening wedding, IMO.

ThreeofUs
04-16-2011, 08:13 AM
I don't know. If her DH is wearing a red shirt and a black tie as an usher, how much wedding dress etiquette is being considered?

Still, OP, I'd find a pair of flowy palazzo-type pants that look more dressy, and maybe a red top that matches your DH's, lol. Seriously, love the tops you linked.

TwinFoxes
04-16-2011, 08:48 AM
I don't know. If her DH is wearing a red shirt and a black tie as an usher, how much wedding dress etiquette is being considered?

:rotflmao:

Maybe they're having a "Guys and Dolls" theme.

SnuggleBuggles
04-16-2011, 08:57 AM
I don't think you would go with with dh in navy and white but I'd have to see it together, maybe. I also don't think linen pants are the right way to go. Really nice trousers, I guess. I would go with the 1st blouse vs the second. You are already going casual with pants and something about that print makes the outfit sound even more casual. It's a very great blouse for a night out though- just not a wedding.

Beth

ohsara430
04-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Good point about the linen, somehow I always block out just how wrinkled linen gets. I think I'll look for other pants I just have to find something lightweight since I don't want to be too warm.

I think the look the bride is going for is elegant goth, but considering the invitation came on a 3x5 notecard (no joke) and I had to rsvp via email I'm thinking it's going to be more cheap and trashy. The bridesmaids are wearing black dresses with bright red patent leather platform peep toe heels - they're all 16 and under, they'll be lucky to even be able to walk in them.

I think I'll keep looking for pants, I really like the shirts and could get more use out of them than just the wedding. I don't particularly care what DH's family thinks and I really don't care what the groom's family thinks. Thanks everybody!

SnuggleBuggles
04-16-2011, 09:16 AM
How old is the bride to be if all the bridesmaids are that young?

Beth

infomama
04-16-2011, 10:15 AM
I bet there will be people in jeans at this wedding. Wear whatever you want...slacks included.

ohsara430
04-16-2011, 10:17 AM
She's 24, 2 of the bridesmaids are DH's other sisters ages 14 & 16. There's a big age gap, he's in his early 30s. The other two bridesmaids are step sisters of the groom I think. The groom's family has had a few divorces and remarriages so there are some good age gaps on his side too. The bride doesn't have many friends her own age.

DrSally
04-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Considering the tone of the wedding and the wide variety of outfits you'll prob see (I, too, think you'll prob see jeans), I would go with the navy polka dot top and some cream wide leg trousers. Doesn't Ny&Co have some good wide leg trousers? I think the Limited has 40% off all items today (Sat). You may be the most dressed up one there.

ThreeofUs
04-16-2011, 11:27 AM
I think the look the bride is going for is elegant goth, but considering the invitation came on a 3x5 notecard (no joke) and I had to rsvp via email I'm thinking it's going to be more cheap and trashy.

:ROTFLMAO: I'm sorry, but this made me LOL! Have a great time there - no one is going to care what you wear.

g-mama
04-16-2011, 12:04 PM
With any of the choices you are considering, you will look head and shoulders above the rest of the guests, fashion-wise. Wear what feels right to you. You have good taste...love those blouses..and you will look great.

kijip
04-22-2011, 09:36 AM
I think you can wear pretty much anything to this wedding and be ok. Love the blouse choices, I would tend to agree with the no linen at night thing but don't lose sleep over an alternative if you have a hard time finding something you like. I would not buy anything you won't wear again.

I have to say I am scandalized by 14 year old bridesmaids wearing red patent platforms. ;)