PDA

View Full Version : stripping membranes?

kedss
04-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Hi all-

I was measured at 1cm, O station no effacement last Monday, lost most of my plug on Tuesday, no real contractions yet. My OB suggested on Monday that he might strip my membranes on my next visit which is tomorrow. I'm not due til April 30, but this is my 3rd child, and have never been this far along this early.
Update: Rachel was born 4/23 9lbs4oz, my OB broke my water when I was ready, thank you for the great advice on listening to my instincts.

any btdt?
thanks!
Kate

Edensmum
04-17-2011, 02:38 PM
If there is no reason to do it other than you can, then I would not. Let baby pick their birthday it's better for you both when you let nature take it's course.

SnuggleBuggles
04-17-2011, 02:59 PM
If there is no reason to do it other than you can, then I would not. Let baby pick their birthday it's better for you both when you let nature take it's course.

:yeahthat:

I always wonder if it caused my water to break and I highly disliked labor starting that way because I was "on the clock" from the get-go. For me it didn't hurt or even uncomfortable. But, I know it can vary widely. I'd give it more time. If you get to 40-41 weeks, then it'll be something to consider. Enjoy your little family now and don't rush it along. Baby will be here soon enough- revel in the simplicity of things. :)

eta- with ds1 I had it done at 41w5d and went into labor 2.5 days later. There were no signs that it worked before that. With ds2 I had it done around that same time and I was in labor 3 hours later. The midwife who did it swore she was really successful and I guess she earned that reputation!

Beth

blue
04-17-2011, 02:59 PM
I had my membranes stripped 3 or 4 times (once a week prior to DS being born). I am not sure it did anything, he was still born at 41 weeks and past his due date. I was also about 3-4 centimeter for the whole last month of pregnancy.

I can be painful, the doctor warned me about this ahead of time. Frankly, at that point I was ready for DS to come out and did not care (apparently DS didn't want to come out yet :)).

I am not sure I would have it done again if I was pregnant, with out researching it more. I didn't have any adverse reactions to it, but I still don't know much about it, and would look into it more (if I was pregnant right now).

ashleybama24
04-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Hi all-

I was measured at 1cm, O station no effacement last Monday, lost most of my plug on Tuesday, no real contractions yet. My OB suggested on Monday that he might strip my membranes on my next visit which is tomorrow. I'm not due til April 30, but this is my 3rd child, and have never been this far along this early.

any btdt?
thanks!
Kate

I would wait. I had mine stripped at 41 almost 42 wks. It caused contractions but not enough to really get labor going. I still had to be induced. Not sure why your doctor is so eager for this baby to come almost 2 weeks early either.

jbbhb
04-17-2011, 04:19 PM
I had it done at 38 weeks and 39 weeks. The first time it really really hurt. I think it was partially because I wasn't prepared for pain. Both times I got crampy but thats it. DS was born 6 days after the second time. I dont think I would do it again.

daisymommy
04-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Studies show there are many risks involved in delivering before 39 weeks. So why do that on purpose? That is not even ethical for a provider to do, when baby and mother are not in any health danger.

I have heard stories of women having their membranes stripped and them walking around with awful contractions, but not dilating, and baby isn't ready to come. If it's too early, then you are just up a creek, so to speak. Pain without purpose.

I had my membranes stripped at 40 weeks with DD, after having walked around for a month at 5cm. dilated! And I still didn't go into labor for another 3 days. She just wasn't ready yet. There is nothing wrong with dilating a little early, it just gives you a head start, so your labor is shorter later on.

I would def. veto having my membranes stripped before your due date.

brittone2
04-17-2011, 05:03 PM
I would also wait since there is no urgent need to get labor going. I walked around for weeks dilated 2-3 cm and 80% effaced with my oldest child. 3+ weeks of that.

I personally just would be uncomfortable with the risk to benefit comparison since there's no medical reason you need to start labor, and you aren't facing an imminent induction with pitocin.

There are risks, and I just personally wouldn't be ready for them having not yet reached my EDD with no medical need to push for going early. JMO. Best of luck.

MommyAllison
04-17-2011, 05:20 PM
I had it done w/DD when I was a few days overdue and they were scheduling an induction for a few days later. Really, really painful, and I felt awful the rest of the day from the cramping. I went into labor about 30 hours later, and am not at all convinced stripping membranes helped me along. In the future, I would only consider it to avoid a very imminent induction.

kedss
04-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks, ladies, my gut reaction was that it wasn't something I want to do, just curious about outcomes for other folks, I appreciate the advice. ;)

AustenFan
04-17-2011, 09:02 PM
I had my membranes stripped at least 3 or 4 times with DD, starting at 38 weeks (I was trying to get her to come early to make it to my brother's wedding, otherwise I would have waited 'til 40 weeks). Each time it was painful, I cramped and contracted for hours, and it didn't work. By week 41 I was 5 cm dilated and almost completely effaced, and they stripped me on Monday but I didn't go into labor until Wed (10 days late). (I still missed my brother's wedding.)

I'm currently 4 days overdue and go in tomorrow, and I will not be asking them to strip my membranes this time around. For me, it clearly doesn't work, even when I'm seemingly a good candidate (dilated and effaced). I honestly found it so painful and depressing when it didn't work that I would not recommend it!

But I'm pretty pessimistic about such things--I tried every trick in the book to induce labor (except castor oil) before my brother's wedding, and nothing worked, so I've become a cynic...

ahrimie
04-18-2011, 01:56 AM
Oh, interesting... I had mine stripped just after my due date, when I had to schedule an induction date for just in case. My midwife said we could try if I wanted and since I was also past due, I said "sure!". I went into labor later that day (or the next, can't remember exactly) but not sure it was totally because of that. My midwife told me it was more like an old wives tale but we could try if I wanted to; she said I looked like I would go soon anyhow. My labor was very easy though and pretty short--esp for a first time mom. I know experiences vary for all women and even per child... but I don't think I would have opted to have them stripped before my due date. I think letting it happen naturally is best.. jmo.

lizzywednesday
04-18-2011, 08:29 AM
I'd heard it recommended (by my cousin, a mom of 5) when my sister was freaking out about having gone past her due date with my nephew. For my cousin, I guess it was no big deal.

However, I have to mention that my OB inadvertently broke my water while trying to strip my membranes during my induction with DD ... and it didn't help speed things up for us. Broken water in my case was a problem because I was GBS+ and was delivering a baby with a known congenital defect that put her at extra risk of infection. We waited for progress for 12 hours and eventually delivered via C-section; I was only 7cm dilated.

kedss
04-18-2011, 08:48 AM
I'm a little worried about that happening, with my first they had to break my water, and with DD it took forever before my water broke, so I'm thinking unless he gives me a really good reason to do it, I won't do it, thank you for your reply-

daisymommy
04-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Also, if you labor with the bag of water intact, it acts as a cushion between the baby and your cervix, making labor much less painful for you and less stress on the baby.

So, if you can help it, do not let them break your water on purpose, or do something that might cause it to break. Give yourself that extra added measure of pain-protection if possible.

Fwiw...with baby #3, my water didn't break until his head was coming out, and it was much less painful than my previous two births where my water was broken at the start of labor by the OB/midwife.

mg1278
04-18-2011, 11:04 AM
At 38w, I wouldn't do it. I'd also be hesitant to try at only 1cm because that will hurt like hell - that's not really enough room for them to get in there and effectively do anything.

I had it done twice with DD1, at 40w4d and 40w6d. I was 4cm at both appointments. The first time, I didn't feel any contractions after. I felt dome after the 2nd if I focused; I went into labor the next day at 41w0d.

I had it done twice with DD2, too. I had it first done at 39w6d when I was 2-3cm. It caused some contractions, but nothing serious. The second time was at 40w4d, when I was 4cm. I had some decent contractions after, but nothing intense until labor the next day.

In my case, I was wanting to have it done because I was already dilating and overdue (or about to be). I figured it would just be a nudge if I was ready, and would to nothing if I weren't.

brittone2
04-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Agreeing w/ Daisymommy-

My water broke early in labor with DS1 and I still had an easy labor for a first timer. However, I had a lot more rectal pressure (TMI) in that labor and I think it was because my membranes were already ruptured.

With DD, my water didn't break until I was pushing. I showed up to the birth center 10 cm dilated but not feeling pushy since my membranes were in tact. There was no rush to *do* anything, so we just hung out until I felt pushy. That was more than an hour later (so I was 10 cm and 100% effaced for a full hour before I felt any urge to start pushing). Water broke when I was pushing.

With DS2 my experience was somewhat similar. My membranes didn't rupture til the very end, just a few mins before he was out. I was feeling a touch grunty and my membranes finally ruptured. Then 2 pushes w/ one contraction and he was out.

It can be totally normal to be fully dilated w/ membranes still intact. It can also be 100 percent normal to be fully dilated and not ready to push. I walked around like that for an hour when I was in labor with DD. There are some care providers that would end up rupturing my membranes in that situation to speed things up (for their own sake, not the patient's), but since there was no urgent need to move things along, I had no desire to have someone break my water. I am fortunate that I had patient caregivers who understood the risks of rupturing membranes.

daisymommy
04-18-2011, 11:27 AM
I walked around at home at 10cm. dilated for a good hour before I felt like pushing with DS#2 as well :)

wendibird22
04-18-2011, 11:44 AM
I had my membranes stripped with DD2 at 38wks. I was in labor 12hr later and delivered her w/in 3hrs of arriving to the hospital. I didn't find it painful. I have always heard that it'll work if you/baby are ready and it won't work if you are not. In your shoes I'd probably wait.

AnnieW625
04-18-2011, 02:23 PM
I'd most likely wait.

With DD2 I went in at just shy of 39 weeks for the internal exam to be measured and 8 hrs. later my water broke. Another 8 hours later DD2 was born. I was barely 1cm dialated at the time of that exam, and DD2 was born without pitocin about 16 hrs. later.

What Wendibird22 says makes perfect sense.

kedss
04-18-2011, 07:15 PM
a little update: I'm 50% effaced now, and not quite at 2 cms, so we are waiting to see what happens, thanks again for all the advice. ;)

daisymommy
04-19-2011, 08:11 AM
Just remember, it's totally safe to stay that way, and dilate more than that, just walk around living life until your due date!

AnnieW625
04-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Just remember, it's totally safe to stay that way, and dilate more than that, just walk around living life until your due date!

Agree with this. If I knew that now I would've stayed home longer with DD1 so I could've avoided having my water broken, and needing pitocin to deliver. I was 5 cm. dialated when I went to the hospital and thought I was having real contractions, but they were Braxton Hicks and since I was still 5 cm. they thought that if they broke my water that would start the contractions, but it didn't. The morning nurse candidly told me they should've sent me home. I wished I would've had that nurse during the night, not the one that convinced me breaking my water was the best.

daisymommy
04-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Just an interesting FYI for you...when I checked into the hospital with #1 I was 8cm. dilated, and not in any pain. Labor didn't start until they broke my water. He wasn't born for another 24 hours!

With #2 I was at 5cm. for a month before they finally broke my water on my due date because my pelvic prolapse was getting really bad. DD was born 3 hours later at the birthing center.

With #3 I was at 5-6cm. for a month before I went into labor on my own, a full week overdue. My water didn't break until his head was coming out.

So there you have it, you can def. walk around dilated and not have to go to the hospital ;)

bostonsmama
04-21-2011, 11:18 AM
I won't tell you what to do, but I was -1 station, 4cm dilated and 75% effaced at 39 weeks when I had my membranes stripped in the AM. It hurt like crap, and immediately sent me into contractions 5min apart. I went home and soaked in the tub, but they stayed constant. After I ate a meal, they went away completely. I got on all 4s or pelvic rocked or walked (in between resting) that whole day, drinking RRL tea and keeping my doula informed. 11pm that night I started active labor and birthed my baby naturally 4hrs after checking into the hospital 5cm dilated and 99% effaced. My water didn't break until 35min before DD was born. I guess I'm pretty lucky considering most people's reactions--and in retrospect it was pretty risky--I may not do that again.

Good luck!