PDA

View Full Version : iPad 1 or 2 owners: Convince me to get one for DH

eh613c
04-17-2011, 02:26 PM
DH is turning 40 in a couple of months and he's been hinting for the last year that he wants one. So I've been reading all the speculations on what iPad 2 will have but now that it's here, it wasn't all what the analyst have hoped for. I'm not too crazy about it myself.

DH will primarily be using it for email/internet/music and to entertain DS1 when traveling.

If you're an iPad owner, here's your chance to brag about it.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
04-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Well, I am currently getting through the boredom of Kingdom of Bounce on the IPad,I love it but am going tomwait for generation3 to get another.

eh613c
04-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Bumping the thread to get some opinions.

BabyBearsMom
04-18-2011, 04:28 PM
We have iPad 1. We probably won't upgrade to #2, but will probably get #3. We love love love the iPad. We use it for web surfing, shopping, streaming netflix, playing games (DH and I play scrabble together and use our iPhones as the rack, dorky I know, but oh so fun!)...really the only time we use one of the other computers in the house, it is if we have to type something lengthy. It is an excellent piece of technology. DD doesn't watch TV or anything like that now, but when she does it will be nice to use when traveling. Also, DD will read her children's books on it, and plays with it with D-Nephew when he is over. DH also uses it as an eReader (I have a Kindle so I use that instead).

My vote, is get it for your DH. You won't know how you lived without it.

larig
04-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Based on what you said his use for it will be, I'm not sure what else you think it should have? (the only complaints I've read were screen resolution could be better, but when you look at it, it doesn't look any worse than my iphone 4. Or, possibly the camera, but this is a camera for facetime, it's definitely not really designed to replace the family camcorder.)

I think it is an impressive piece of technology, there is nothing out there tablet-based that is as well-thought-of by both critics and consumers. No other tablets have made a dent in its market share. In fact, they are so popular that you may need to order it now to get it in time for his birthday. They are still, a month after release hard to find.

No other tablets (as of last time I checked) could play netflix streams. Facetime is really neat (only useful if you know someone to do this with). Apple's app store has no serious competition. There are lots of ipad-based apps, but not so many android tablet-specific ones. if your DH likes music, for $5 he can buy garageband and EASILY compose all kinds of cool music (it is just an AMAZING piece of software, I can't believe how cool it is--everyone should download and play with it). And with an HDMI cable you can plug it right into your HDTV.

ETA: we have 1 ipad 1 (mine, a hand-me-down from DH) and an ipad 2 (DH's)

clc053103
04-18-2011, 05:02 PM
I have had an Ipad2 for 2 weeks and I love love love it. It makes me wish I had an iphone instead of an android. DH picked it up for me. He can't give an opinion on it because I haven't put it down long enough for him to even touch it.

karin4
04-18-2011, 05:13 PM
I agree with PPs-- for internet, music, games, email, movies/TV, etc., it's just terrific. That's pretty much what I use it for, but both DH and I have been surprised at how much he, a very intensive computer user, has been able to do with it. It can actually function as his main machine, which he certainly did not expect. Honestly, it was seeing how well ipad1 has worked for him over the past year that made me buy ipad 2 for myself. And I love the form factor. It's small, it's light, it's far more portable than my old netbook was.

My two favorite apps are the MLB At Bat and Zinio. I can't wait for more of the magazines I subscribe to to offer digital versions. Love my mags, but hate the stacks of them! National Geographic's digital edition is really great-- so much more than just a pdf of the print issue. Oh, and the NCAA tournament app was fantastic, too.