PDA

View Full Version : Some more consignment sale ?s

ourbabygirl
04-17-2011, 04:22 PM
So I just got back from picking up my items that didn't sell... I sold a fair amount, but still ended up with a lot... don't know if my stuff was priced a bit too high, or what.

My first question is, if you didn't sell something the first time around, do you price it lower (if so, by how much?) and try to sell it again at the next sale (or the next year, if it's a seasonal thing)?

Also, in your experience, what sells best? Are there certain things that don't sell well at all, and would be better to donate or sell at a garage sale or CL (other than the obvious stained/ ripped/worn-out clothes)?

If you volunteer at a sale to get higher commission on your items, which volunteer duties are your favorite, and which do you think are the biggest drag/ waste of time? For instance, we can work at registers during the sale, sort things after the sale, drive around and put out signs, help set up tables, etc. before the sale... I'm sure there are more that I can't think of right now.

Final question: Which items do you allow to be donated at the end of the sale, and which do you take back to try to sell at a later date? Do you find it's a better use of money to just donate what didn't sell because you can get a receipt for tax purposes?

Thanks SO MUCH for your input! I'd like to consign again in the future, but I want to make the best use of my time and resources. :wink2:

mom2binsd
04-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Can you give an idea of the type of item and price for things that didn't sell?

I sold all but two items, I had about 200 tagged items, the clothing was mostly 2 or 3 pieces per hanger.

What didn't sell- one a pair of EUC gymbo 4t denim cropped pants, darling with ribbon trim, priced at 6.00, I think at 5.00 they would have sold, I can take to a new consignment store that is looking for inventory, they pay outright so I'll see. Another was a pair of Kenneth Cole wedge sandals in size 13, priced at 5.00, I think the wedge heel which DD didn't like may have been the issue, they were in good shape, a hand me down though so no biggie, so I donated.

I often bring stuff back to sell the following year though, if I just think it was a fluke and maybe I'll price lower.

I work over 24 hours per sale, I see it all. Most of the stuff left is overpriced, more worn looking stuff.

There's always lots of the little baby sizes left (under 12 months).

I sold a 5pc tux for 15.00 in 4t, there was another in the sale, a size 2t for 30.00 left over, didn't sell.

Volunteering really depends on your personality, if you like to interact volunteer during the sale, either during dropoff, or on the selling days.

Often it's easier for some to "barter" our sale offers the opportunity to exchange goods/gift cards for presale passes.

belovedgandp
04-17-2011, 09:10 PM
I'm not a seasoned consignment sale person, but my friend that is swears by sending her husband to do the set-up and break down volunteer jobs. They really need that help and while it says 3 or 4 hours he's only gone for 1 or 2 at our local sales.