PDA

View Full Version : File hail damage claim or not?

09Mom
04-17-2011, 07:12 PM
We have a 99 BMW that became the 3rd/outside car about 2 weeks ago. Prior to that it was always garaged and has about 77 k miles. As a result of Fridays storm there is literally not a 3 square inch area without a dent. I was shocked. We planned to keep the car for a few more years as dh works 1.5 miles from the house plus it was in pristine condition. My guess is the dents will significantly hurt resale. Would you file a claim? Anyone know if it will affect my rates? Due to the extend of damage and age of my car my guess is they will total it out. I would prefer to take a settlement and keep the car.

Our deck also had significant cosmetic damage so I'm guessing there is a high likelihood that our roof has damage. Is hail damage to a roof mostly cosmetic or is it also a functional issue?

kristac
04-17-2011, 08:03 PM
We have a 99 BMW that became the 3rd/outside car about 2 weeks ago. Prior to that it was always garaged and has about 77 k miles. As a result of Fridays storm there is literally not a 3 square inch area without a dent. I was shocked. We planned to keep the car for a few more years as dh works 1.5 miles from the house plus it was in pristine condition. My guess is the dents will significantly hurt resale. Would you file a claim? Anyone know if it will affect my rates? Due to the extend of damage and age of my car my guess is they will total it out. I would prefer to take a settlement and keep the car.

Our deck also had significant cosmetic damage so I'm guessing there is a high likelihood that our roof has damage. Is hail damage to a roof mostly cosmetic or is it also a functional issue?

Hail damage to a roof is definately a functional issue. Half the houses in my neighborhood have new roofs because of hail damage. Are your car and home insured through the same provider?

09Mom
04-17-2011, 08:12 PM
Same agent but different companies. Car is travelers and house is allstate.

What issues can the damage to roof cause?

Could I have issues later with the car if I do not fix it?

BillK
04-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Car claim should be under comprehensive coverage - which here in PA - comp claims ARE NOT chargeable and should not affect your rates. Make sure with your company though. If you have a claim with the car later - and never fixed the hail damage - the resulting claim settlement could be MUCH lower because of the existing hail damage.

Hail damage to your house roof needs fixed. If you don't fix it and later develop an issue such as leaks, loose shingles, shingles blowing off when they shouldn't as a result of it and you never fixed it - your homeowners carrier could have a problem paying for it.

I say turn them both in.