PDA

View Full Version : Help, Easter announcement & SIL's baptism

pantrygirl
04-18-2011, 01:25 PM
I need some advice.

Originally, we had hoped to announce our pregnancy at Easter to the family.
Now, I just found out my SIL's getting baptized and I really don't want to jump on her parade.

I don't think she'd get upset but it's her special day and my brother has been waiting for her to be baptized for a long time.

Should I hold off on the announcement, how long should I wait?

It's getting kind of hard to hide it (physically). I'm 13 weeks. Sure it'd be nice to wait until Mother's Day but I don't think that's possible.

Should I tell my mom and tell her to keep is secret and announce it to the rest of the family on Mother's Day instead?

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

janine
04-18-2011, 01:45 PM
I need some advice.

Originally, we had hoped to announce our pregnancy at Easter to the family.
Now, I just found out my SIL's getting baptized and I really don't want to jump on her parade.

I don't think she'd get upset but it's her special day and my brother has been waiting for her to be baptized for a long time.

Should I hold off on the announcement, how long should I wait?

It's getting kind of hard to hide it (physically). I'm 13 weeks. Sure it'd be nice to wait until Mother's Day but I don't think that's possible.

Should I tell my mom and tell her to keep is secret and announce it to the rest of the family on Mother's Day instead?

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

I am at the same point as you-maybe a week ahead. I'm not going to be telling at Easter only because I am doing some more testing and would like to wait. But I hear you on it beng harder to hide, but I'm going to try. I also am aiming for Mother's Day, but could be a week later (!).

In your case I think I would go with telling your mom and wait till Mother's Day for everyone else. It's 2 wks difference and you can probably pull it off (am impressed you haven't told your mom yet!)

AnnieW625
04-18-2011, 02:14 PM
I would nicely call your family members sometime this week if you are comfortable announcing the pregnancy.

TwinFoxes
04-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Well, if your family is anything like mine, if I showed up 13 weeks pregnant at an event people would flat out ask me if I were pregnant. You may have no choice in making an announcement! ;) Congratulations btw, have a happy and healthy 9 months!

ThreeofUs
04-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Congratulations and have a wonderful pregnancy!

ITA you may have no choice but to make an announcement.

I would call around and tell people. At the very least tell parents and your SIL, and explain that you want her baptism day to be special and her very own, but that your condition is interesting and might generate comment.

pantrygirl
04-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks everyone.
Yes, I'm kind of tired of hiding in blazers. It's ok at work but at casual events, I feel like I'm Elaine from Seinfeld and desperately need What Not to Wear to make me over. LOL.

It's a tough situation. We were actually invited to the baptism but it's at a vigil service that starts at 9pm. There is no way we can keep our 2 year old up that late so we may not even see them for the holidays.

I'm actually leaning towards telling my MIL and mom during Easter as an aside and then fully announcing it to her large family on Mother's Day.

That way the parents get to feel egg-stra special (sorry, I've been busy trying to figure out announcement sayings and in a bad pun mode) they know a secret before the rest of the family finds out.

Also, my SIL gets a few days of special 'congrats' time and I won't feel like I'm stepping on her day.

I don't like piece mealing it but I think it's a nice compromise. We will see.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone and congrats Janine and everyone else! :grouphug:

misshollygolightly
04-18-2011, 04:11 PM
It very much depends on your SIL's (and brother's) personality, but I think it could be really lovely and meaningful and add to the joy of the day for everyone. You could say something along the lines of..."Easter commemorates the hope of new life. Today we're so happy to be here with you to celebrate Christ's resurrection and the spiritual rebirth signified by SIL's baptism. DH and I couldn't have picked a better time to share with you the news that we hope to welcome a new life in our family on DUE DATE." It might even be a nice gesture at that point to return to the topic of your SIL's baptism, maybe saying something to the effect of "SIL, we're so proud of the commitment you made today...we feel so blessed to know that our new baby will have such a wonderful, loving extended family."

Whatever you decide, congratulations on your exciting news :-)

Kincaid
04-22-2011, 11:51 AM
It very much depends on your SIL's (and brother's) personality, but I think it could be really lovely and meaningful and add to the joy of the day for everyone. You could say something along the lines of..."Easter commemorates the hope of new life. Today we're so happy to be here with you to celebrate Christ's resurrection and the spiritual rebirth signified by SIL's baptism. DH and I couldn't have picked a better time to share with you the news that we hope to welcome a new life in our family on DUE DATE." It might even be a nice gesture at that point to return to the topic of your SIL's baptism, maybe saying something to the effect of "SIL, we're so proud of the commitment you made today...we feel so blessed to know that our new baby will have such a wonderful, loving extended family."

Whatever you decide, congratulations on your exciting news :-)

If I was the SIL, I'd feel like someone got up on stage during my big day. I would not do it during someone else's event : ) (I would not want someone to do that to me)

TwinFoxes
04-22-2011, 12:27 PM
I do think if you're going to do it, a big speech may not be the way to go. To me that really does seem like you're trying to grab the spotlight (which it's clear from you're post you're NOT, but it could appear that way). I forgot, that I was actually at an RCIA where someone announced their wife's pregnancy. It was a short "we're happy, and here's some more good news" without it seeming like she wanted the spotlight.

Good luck with your announcement (I still think someone will out you!)

janine
04-25-2011, 11:12 AM
so how did it go Pantry?

I had a tough time hiding with my bella band riding up, plus wearing baggy unattractive clothes (too bad since it was a nice day). My dad asked my sister (but she threw him off the trail) and my DD made a comment on "new baby" that had everyone puzzled, but overall I think I got away with it. How to make it another 3 wks will be tough!

pantrygirl
04-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Hi Janine.

I think it went well. Although it would be nice to wait until Mom's Day, we opted to tell everyone starting right after Easter so my SIL had a special weekend.

Part of the reason we decided not to wait was hiding this was becoming more stressful for me plus on Friday we received good news from tests were were waiting for that made us realize what a truly joyous time it is and we should share it.

Actually, we decided to videotape our daughter making the announcement and we sent it to both Grandmoms. We sent it in the evening on Sunday figuring they'll look at it when everyone leaves and they settle in for the night.

It's driving my husband crazy as as of today, still no mention of the video. Our parents have spoken to us and texted us at least 5 times since yesterday and nada.

He had wanted to send the video to the our friends and family after the grandparents found out but now he has to wait.

Taking the video was fun though. For days our daughter kept saying to people that she had a baby in HER belly. We thought it would be fun to have her start that and then point to a book we had about pregnancy but all she wanted to do was play with her Easter Thomas train.

Finally DH had the brilliant idea to tell her it was time to change out of her pajamas and into a nice shirt and gave her the 'Sister' shirt we bought for her after our doctor's appointment on Friday.

She was so excited because she knew what the shirt was and looked straight into the camera and said, "I"m a sister!" before she even put on the shirt.

After that she was gabbing about how she was a sister and she has a sister shirt and that the baby was inside mommy's belly, etc...

We're hoping our parents like the video and my husband is anxiously waiting for the call from either parents.

Wow, I'm glad you were able to keep your secret.
I'm also saying a little prayer your tests come back well.
Keep us posted on your announcement. I'd love to hear how it goes! :cheerleader1: