PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have eczema show up "all of a sudden"?

bisous
04-18-2011, 02:31 PM
DS2 has ezcema on his hands for the first time ever! He is 3.5 years old and spent the week at grandma's house. I took him to the doctor to day for some scabby, scaliness and the doctor said it was textbook eczema. This concerns me as we've never seen this before!

Could it just be that he is reacting to the detergents/soaps that grandma uses? (not natural at all) versus the natural stuff we use at home?

Should I be concerned? It is already starting to clear up. Is this something that will just go away?

Any thoughts welcome!

BabbyO
04-18-2011, 02:45 PM
I suspect that you hit the nail on the head. Different lotions & soaps can affect DC's pretty quickly. I especially wouldn't be worried if its already clearing up. Although you may want to monitor when it shows up again (if it does). Is it when he's at grandma's again. Is there slight signs of eczema after shorter visits. Does it show up when he visits other people. It could help you pinpoint the offender.

brittone2
04-18-2011, 02:57 PM
DS1 gets it if he uses hand sanitizers w/ alcohol. Scabby and almost "burned" looking. I assume eczema, we haven't had it confirmed yet. He doesn't have problems w/ anything else. I use CleanWell for him.

SnuggleBuggles
04-18-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm still po'ed about mine. I had a makeover done at Saks on a Saturday and on Monday morning I went back to Saks b/c my eyelid was unusually red. I suspected some problem with an ingredient in the eye shadow. They saw no connection (why I asked them, I don't know). Anyway,I stopped using it and it never went away. 12 years later and I have eczema on my darned eyelid- I finally got it dx a few years after it happened. I didn't think it could be contagious but I will always have my doubts. One day no problem, the next day- the next decade- problem.

A new patch showed up on my body just this last year but I suspect if you are prone to it then having it appear in other parts is par for the course.

Beth

Fairy
04-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Change in product could definitely do it. On the other hand, however, DS just got his first eczema patch a couple months ago. He's got asthma, so he;s more prone to it, but it definitely is something that can come seemingly out of nowhere.

bisous
04-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Beth that sounds terrible! I'm so sorry! My mom also mentioned to me that they visited a new playground on the day that his hands started getting really red and that he spent a good deal of time with his hands covered in sand. I suppose that can contribute!

Since Fairy mentioned the connection with Asthma it reminded me that I'd like to look into Asthma as a possibility for him. He seems to have shortness of breath sometimes and his lungs seem "junky". This is also new.

Yuck.