PDA

View Full Version : School Lunches Revisited--Does your school have a GOOD HEALTHY option?

infocrazy
04-18-2011, 03:17 PM
DS1 is in 1/2 day K so we don't have lunch yet. After the threads last week, I pulled up the calendar and was APALLED at the options. One day lunch was a soft pretzel with cheese and yogurt, another day it was mozzarella sticks, they can choose pizza every day if they want. This is a high income area with excellent schools.

I emailed a friend on the PTA and asked if they were willing to address the school lunch program and if so, I'd be willing to find options. They agreed to revisit so:

1. Does anyone have a school lunch program they like? Why?
2. Are you willing to link to it or PM with it?
3. What would you LIKE to see offered?
4. Any other ideas or things I should look into? IE One school around me has a nutrition fact sheet incorporated into their calendar with portion info and other facts.
5. I am a little concerned that kids will just throw away healthy food, any way to get around this?
6. I kind of thought it'd be cool to do a Try It Tuesday, where kids try a sample of a new food (like broccoli, or brussel sprouts, bell peppers, etc...) Thoughts?

Thanks!

ellies mom
04-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Here is the link to our district's information. (http://www.camas.wednet.edu/district/business_services/nutrition_services.htm) You can look at the individual schools if you want to see their menus for the month.

daisymommy
04-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Our school system get's all of it's vegetables locally, at least half of them from organic farms. Some of the fruit too.

All grains are whole-grain.

Side choices are only vegetable or fruits, and only once a week there is tator tots or fries offered.

There is a vegetarian option daily.

They are actual meals you would serve at home for dinner--not a pretzel with cheese sauce ;)
Spaghetti, Lasagna or baked ziti, soup, meatloaf and mashed potatoes, grilled chicken breast, BBQ beef on a bun, etc.

I think it's a pretty decent menu.

squimp
04-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Our school system has really nice lunches. All the breads are made with whole wheat, they have lots of fruits and veggies, support local farms, and they have a tasting table once a month where kids try new meals. They have a salad bar. I eat lunch there every so often. It is really awesome and I am completely comfortable sending my kid to lunch there. It's at least as healthy as what I send for her.

MichelleRC
04-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Our school uses a company called Wholesome Tummies, started by 2 local moms. All organic, natural stuff. I've ordered it a couple of times for myself and it is really good. I know they are in the process of franchising and expanding to other areas outside of Florida.
Here is their website:
http://www.wholesometummies.com/

Let me know if you have any other questions, I am meeting with the owner on Thursday (I am the school secretary and handle the lunch program for our school).