PDA

View Full Version : Help for a New Mom- which Diaper Bag?!?!?

tariahm
04-19-2011, 10:13 AM
I am going to be a new mom and want to get a diaper bag but am just so confused since there are so many options. Here are some of the things I am looking for:

Roomy enough to hold necessities ie: bottles, diapers, change of clothes, etc
Easy to Clean
Not too Heavy and Bulky
Stylish and current!!

I was thinking about the JuJuBe BFF but it seemed really heavy just on its own. I was also considering the SkipHop Versa Bag or the new Avenue Bag, Timi and Leslie or Vera Bradley. Any comments on these bags and any other suggestions please??? Help!!!

I am not a Mom yet so any advice would be appereciated!!

Thanks,
:)

star04
04-19-2011, 10:30 AM
I started off with the Vera Bradley baby bag -- I decided it was waaay too big for everyday use. I then found Ju Ju Be. I started with a Between; although JJBs can be somewhat heavy depending on the bag, this bag was smaller and all JJBs are machine washable :heartbeat:. If the Between is too small, there are other bags. I've tried the BFF -- a lot of people like it, but I felt like it was too heavy and too much bag for the amount it held. Now that my DD is a toddler, I have the old Vera Large Backpack, I like that it's lightweight.

If you are interested in JJBs, you could join Amazon Mom, order a BFF to see it in person. If you aren't satisfied, Amazon has free returns. You could also use one of the Vera totes or other bags, but I've always been afraid to wash mine...

mom2khj
04-19-2011, 10:36 AM
I love my Vera Bradley baby bag, but agree it is too big for everyday use (unless I'm going to be out ALL day). I'm now using a Skip Hop Dash and while I love the functionality of it, I wish they had better prints. I got the wave dot only because I couldn't really find one I loved and I didn't want a solid color.

ETA - I've also found JJB bags to be too heavy. I had a Fleurville sling tote with DD2 and I liked it a lot as well.

star04
04-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Oh yeah, The Ju Ju Be Be Hip is very light-weight if you like messenger style bags!

michelle66
04-19-2011, 11:34 AM
I recently got a Kate Spade diaper bag for my cousin's baby shower and she loves it! I also got one for myself. They are larger than most I have come across but are also lightweight. Super easy to clean and definitely stylish. Also, most if not all of them have stroller straps if that is a feature that you are looking for. I have a Kate Spade outlet close by so it was super affordable in my opinion. If you can find one check it out.

tariahm
04-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Thank you for your replies..

Have any of you ever tried an OiOi bag? Was looking at those too.

So it sounds like Vera Bradley might be too big for everyday then?

Thanks a bunch,
Tara

lizzywednesday
04-19-2011, 01:47 PM
I used a large purse and diaper pod when my daughter was tiny; the purse/bag something similar to this one at Target:

http://www.target.com/Mossimo-Supply-Co-Aegean-Olive/dp/B004BTIEOA/ref=br_1_2?ie=UTF8&id=Mossimo%20Supply%20Co%20Aegean%20Olive&node=505051011&searchSize=30&searchView=grid5&searchPage=1&sr=1-2&qid=1303234935&rh=&searchBinNameList=target_com_category-bin%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin%2Cprice&searchRank=salesrank&frombrowse=1

I upgraded to this from DadGear last Father's Day with the intention that my DH would use it, but he turned me down:

http://dadgear.com/gear_details.cfm?ID=127

However, it was too big to take on our flight out to AZ at Christmas, so I bought this by Kalencom (on sale, of course!) at Thanksgiving:

http://www.diapers.com/products/Kalencom-Double-Buckle-Bag-Giraffe-Print-23149

I have no problem using a messenger style bag with a diaper pod, some zip-top bags and a pack of wipes, but that may just be me. (FWIW, I never carried bottles, but I don't formula-feed.)

mom2khj
04-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Oh yeah, The Ju Ju Be Be Hip is very light-weight if you like messenger style bags!

I've never seen this one until now. I really like it! Love the Onyx and Cobalt Blossoms!

mikala
04-19-2011, 03:16 PM
I was in the same boat while pregnant and finally decided to buy something cheap and wait until baby arrived to see what I really needed. I definitely saved some cash by doing this and used a Skip Hop bag from the clearance rack at Target for several months until I figured out what I really needed and baby stopped going through diapers as quickly. I now use a different (now discontinued) Skip Hop bag and also just put diaper stuff in my old purses now that I'm mostly just carrying a diaper or two and snacks.

I quickly learned that DH was more likely to go on outings with DS if I equipped him with a gender-neutral bag so we have a simple black diaper bag packed most of the time.

I also use the disposable paper changing pads (http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Disposable-Changing-Pad-Pack/dp/B002KCMSPQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1303240483&sr=1-2) instead of the bulkier ones that come with diaper bags to save space and help me use a smaller bag. I re-use it until the front gets soiled so each pack lasts awhile.

A couple things will influence your eventual purchase--

Do you plan to breastfeed or bottle feed?

Will you use disposable diapers or cloth? I adore cloth but they do take up more space.

Do you mostly travel places by car or will you be out with just baby and a bag most of the time? If you're traveling by car or using a stroller you can get away with a smaller diaper bag because you don't have to haul all of your gear all of the time and can easily keep extra diapers and clothing in the car.

Will you use a carrier? I used a small messenger style purse with the Ergo for longer trips and just put my wallet and keys in the Ergo front pouch for grocery trips.

tariahm
04-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks so much for everyones input. Here are my answers:

I plan to breastfeed for the first few months then switch to formula..
I will def use disposable diapers
Will prob be travelling primarily by car.
I would like to user a carrier but prob not all the time.

Thanks!!

mackmama
04-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Congrats on your soon-to-be mommyhood! And welcome to this board. I am also a new mom and have learned SO much here. I encourage you to ask away with your questions. Everyone is so nice and helpful here :)

In terms of a diaper bag, I had similar requirements and went with the JuJuBe BFF. Have you seen it in person? I expected it to be heavier based on reviews, but I don't find it that heavy. It's very roomy, stylish, has multiple carry options (shoulder, backpack, handle) and, most importantly to me, it's mashine washable. I really like the size, insulated bottle pockets, all of the organization inside, the "mommy pocket," and the overall quality.

Even if you don't get a JJB bag, you might consider some of their accessories. These are the ones I've found particularly helpful - and they're all mashine washable:
-Mess shuttle (a great wet bag)
-Be Quick bags (bags that can hold anything like a change of clothes, dipes, wipes, etc)
-Pacipod (the best paci holder I've found)
-Fuel cell (insulated cooler)

tmahanes
04-19-2011, 04:25 PM
I started off with the Vera Bradley baby bag -- I decided it was waaay too big for everyday use.

You could also use one of the Vera totes or other bags, but I've always been afraid to wash mine...

I am the opposite.... loved my baby bag but wanted something a little bigger so I am using the skip hop studio. I love them both.

I also have and do wash my vera bags in the washer on delicates.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

sweetsue98
04-23-2011, 12:02 AM
You might find youself using different bags for different outings. I have a coach diaper bag and love! It has multiple compartments, long strap for when I need both arms (wear like a messenger bag) and stylish. The fabric is thick so it can get heavy. I also have a smaller bag I use for quick trips to the store.

ehf
04-25-2011, 10:28 PM
My SIL gave me a Vera bag that I felt obligated to use for a long time--I LOVE it for travel/full day trips, but it is annoyingly large for daily use.

I switched to just a regular backpack with mini bags inside to organize my stuff. That way I could add or subtract the mini bags depending on what I needed.

I found that I liked the backpack because shoulder bags were always slipping when I was trying to do different things.

trcy
05-09-2011, 01:49 PM
I have a vera bradley, but like others have said it is way too big. My husband wanted this bag as his manly diaper bag http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3199294 It works well for all day use. The one I use the most is one I got for free from my dr's office. Is is put out by Similac and is a small, over the shoulder type sling bag.

mom2khj
05-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Because of this thread, I took a look at the Ju Ju Be, Be Hip. It's now my favorite bag that I've ever used. :) I still love the Vera for long trips though.

anne-girl
05-09-2011, 04:51 PM
I also used a bag I already owned to see what kind of bag I'd need. A year later I'm still using it. Now that it's falling apart I will switch to a Diaper Dude which I found for $4 at a consignment sale. :yay:

If you plan to babywear, a backpack will be most comfy while your baby is on your front, and a messenger when baby is on your back. There's also the Ergo backpack, which hooks onto the straps of a carrier. It's pretty big though. A convertible backpack/messenger would keep your options open, but I have yet to find one I like; I find the BFF too heavy and I haven't seen anything else in shops around here.

Also, you won't need a lot of padding except for bottles. You'd probably be better off getting a padded bottle case for the bag than to get a bag with padding. Anything padded will limit how much you can put in the bag... and after all most of what you'll carry will consist of fabric and paper, which needs no padding.