PDA

View Full Version : anyone with IBS follow a wheat free, gluten free, or limited gluten diet?

AnnieW625
04-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Without grossing you all with too much TMI I was diagnosed with IBS w/constipation when I was 26 yrs. old. I spent most of the next two years living on a wheat free diet and for the most part it worked. I could eat an occaisional cookie, or a piece of french bread and be okay. Then I got pregnant with DD1 and I could eat wheat again with no problem. Post pregnancy, and while pregnant with DD2 and post pregnancy again I still watched it closely and found brands of bread and pasta that worked for me. Now almost a year post pregnancy I have become very unregular so I am starting to think that I need to do at least a wheat free diet again. So what works for you? Meal planning ideas, cookbooks, favorite products, and how this diet works for you would be really helpful.

Toba
04-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Do you have panic/anxiety disorder?

I went to one of the most respected gastroenterologists in our area about two years ago because my PCP was concerned I had dumping syndrome (I had a REALLY horrible open gallbladder removal with complications when I was 27, which left me with 7+ inch incision). The gastroenterologist said no way to dumping syndrome (which is almost exclusive to gastric bypass surgery, which I have not had), but he diagnosed me with IBS. I have the opposite problem than you where I have mostly liquid bowel movements. This is gross, but I would feel like I was having dry heaves in my colon ... nothing was coming out but I was still spasming and contracting down there. But the line between diarrhea and constipation is very fine with me.

The gastro doctor never told me to limit my wheat or gluten intake. He gave me a medication called Bentyl to take 30 minutes before every meal. He also STRONGLY suggested the use of the probiotic Align. He said he was never one for holistic medications, but that he saw great progress with Align in all of his IBS patients (he was very specific that it had to be Align and not any other probiotic). He also said that more than 90% of his IBS patients have some form of panic or anxiety disorder. To that end, not long after I saw him, I went on medication for the panic disorder and within two weeks or so, almost all my IBS symptoms went away. I still have "breakthrough" symptoms once in a while and then I pop a Bentyl and I'm fine (I don't take it as prescribed, only when I need it). DH often has constipation issues and absolutely LOVES Align for his constipation.

I hope you get some relief. Align is an investment ... it costs $80 a month from Costco for the two of us, but SO WORTH IT!! I haven't taken it in a while because my symptoms are way less after the panic medication was introduced.

AnnieW625
04-19-2011, 02:48 PM
No I am not an over anxious person at all. I get a tad nervous about things but overall I am very even kiel, and my job is pretty low stress. I am sort of thinking that my current week of irregularity is due to the time of the month because I have been somewhat regular (every other day; two days max) through out the month. I have not had gastric bypass surgery and I definitely do not have dumping syndrome. I do not get diahrea often, only when I have an intestinal bug.

I have been taking a Probiotic by NSI for the last 6 weeks or so and I don't really notice a difference so I was thinking that I should really try the Align too and see how that works.

FWIW, I eliminated wheat from my diet in 2004/2005 based on some studies that my family practice dr (also trained as an internist) gave me that stated that in 50% of cases patients who ate a predominantly wheat free diet saw IBS w/constipation symptoms decrease.

wellyes
04-19-2011, 03:06 PM
My DH is on a wheat free diet for something that might be IBS, might be Celiac.... something auto-immune.

He tried to use probiotics to be able to phase in some wheat and gave up after a rather rigorous failed effort. He still takes some to treat lactose intolerance.

He has learned to cook mostly from scratch. Lots of Southern Indian and Asian (rice-based cuisines). But after much trial and error I can recommend some GF products that even I don't mind:

Tinkyada pasta (for non-asian dishes)
Redbridge beer
Pamela's pancake/waffle mix
Betty Crocker cookies and cakes... they acquired an excellent small company
San-J GF Tamari soy sauce: he has one in his car
Trader Joe's GF breads and granola

alirebco
04-19-2011, 04:46 PM
I have IBS and definitely notice major improvements when cutting out wheat/gluten.

http://www.heartscanblog.org/2009/09/unexpected-effects-of-wheat-free-diet.html

www.marksdailyapple.com

Two great resources about the benefits. Marks Daily Apple is a primal diet and has tons of recipes on there. I would trial gluten free for a month and see if your symptoms improve.

ThreeofUs
04-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Well, I've been told I have IBS, but I never feel it - unless I eat something that contains gluten or cow's milk. Then everything comes to a halt, and let's just say it gets ugly.

A gluten-free diet - and going "paleo" lol - is a must for me.

swissair81
04-21-2011, 11:19 AM
I have IBS with a mostly diarrhea component (and 1 sister with the constipation and another sister with a little of both) and I haven't cut out wheat, but I have to be very careful with my fat. There is a question if maybe I don't have IBS at all, but some kind of fat digestion issue. I really need to go see a GI (but I don't really want to). My sister with the constipation mostly stays off of wheat, because otherwise she would be completely dependent on laxatives to go. She currently doesn't take anything.