PDA

View Full Version : Organic Raspberry Bushes sold out!!!!!!

snowbunnies300
04-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Went on-line to look for blueberry and raspberry bushes. Found a site for organic bushes. Was so excited as the prices were amazing for bare-root bushes. Of course all but one of the raspberry bushes were out of stock. I called to see if they would be getting more in and was informed that no - they get them in December for planting. I asked who plants in December! She responded "we do". I asked where they were and she said N.CA. Of course you can plant in December but those of us in the frozen tundra CANT!!! Heck we could be getting up to 6 inches of snow in the next day or so (per MIL).

She was helpful in telling me how to "heel" in bear-root plants. At least I know I have to order during a snow storm to make certain I get the bushes. Now back to the web to see if I can find another supplier who still has some in stock. I reall wanted to plant this year! I guess this is what happens to a newbie in the gardening department.

MamaSnoo
04-19-2011, 05:31 PM
I would reconsider your need for organic bushes. I may get flamed by the hard core organic ppl out there, but I would be comfortable growing and eating from bushes that were marketed as conventional cultivation from the nursery, but which I then grew/maintained with organic methods. If you are open to this, you will have a lot more choices available to you.

snowbunnies300
04-19-2011, 06:14 PM
I was looking for non-organic bushes but then saw the one site and the incredible prices. I figured that I could see if there were other organic bushes out there. I typically do not purchase organic items due to the cost. Well, I do get most of my beef/pork/chicken directly from the farmer and I go to a veggie farmer for my produce during the summer but winter time I purchase what is on sale at the grocery store.

I guess I am more irritated that it is the middle of April and it is almost too late to get bear-root plants and now I will have to pay more money to get established plants.

04-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Its pretty typical for bare roots to be sold in the late fall and early winter and shipped Feb-May depending on growing conditions. I learned the hard way with roses a couple of years ago. This might be all for the best anyway, raspberry bushes from NoCal might not be hardy enough for whatever climate zone you live in. Your local nursery might have better selection suited to growing conditions.

Christine