PDA

View Full Version : car seat inspection = free car seat

Serepta
04-19-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm not sure if this is a common occurence or not, but I had a used car seat that was given to me. I know it's not generally recommended to use a used car seat, but I figured since it was given to me by my sister-in-law, who hadn't used it for too long, and because it wasn't too old I'd take it to the local police station to see if it could be used. As I expected, they told me the seat wasn't legal. What I didn't expect was that the police officer then told me that if I go back this weekend and bring the old seat, they will take the used seat and give me a free replacement seat! Apparently they have some grant to replace unsafe car seats. I would certainly recommend asking your local police stations if they have any promotions or grants doing this - I would have no idea unless I took a chance and got the old seat inspected.

AshleyAnn
04-19-2011, 11:39 PM
Our safekids does offer free replacement seats but they are very basic low end seats.

Do you know why they felt your current seat is unsafe? Used seats are only unsafe if you do not know the previous owner as you are unable to ask if it has been in a crash. If the seat has all its parts and is not expired or been in a crash you can use it.

Serepta
04-20-2011, 07:52 AM
they told me it wasn't safe because one of the safety stickers had worn off. I knew it had never been in an accident and had only been used for a short time, and had all of the parts and user's manual, but the police officer told me he couldn't let me use it because the safety sticker was slightly worn.

Joolsplus2
04-20-2011, 08:18 AM
I'm glad you live in an area where they have money for this sort of thing, most have completely lost their seat replacement budgets recently :(. It's too bad, because some people really need them. I'd think for a 'slightly worn out sticker', I'd just document that fact on your seat and let you go, because the next person to walk in could be someone with NO seat at all, and that child would benefit more from getting a new seat than a child in an otherwise overall good seat, if that makes sense?
Generally the seats that are distributed are indeed very low end... the Evenflos and Coscos you can get for $40 at Walmart, but they get them for $20 through their distributors with that grant money. Most of us prefer seats that rearface and harness to taller heights, and have more ease of installation and use features, like less-twisty straps, nice LATCH connectors, or cushier padding.

What seat do you have, by the way?

Serepta
04-20-2011, 04:10 PM
the seat I had was a Graco Snugride. I told the police officer that I would be perfectly fine buying a new one, because I did feel kind of bad thinking there might be someone else who could use a free car seat. He told me that very few people actually use that service, and they had seats to spare. That's part of the reason I wanted to post this - since at least in my area it sounds like there's resources out there that aren't being used, and maybe might benefit someone!

bubbaray
04-20-2011, 04:38 PM
If you have the funds to buy one, I would strongly suggest buying one yourself so that the seat that would otherwise be given to you can be given to someone who does NOT have the funds, KWIM?

Serepta
04-20-2011, 05:18 PM
geez... I simply wanted to let people know there are services out there. Sorry you guys want to attack me for finding out about them. I'm really not a freeloader! I swear! Now I just feel like a horrible person. Ok... point taken, I will not go along with this and will go buy my own seat. Sorry for sharing what I thought was useful information.

bubbaray
04-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean it to be critical -- I'm just sayin' that (esp. in this economy) there are people out there who really just can not afford a seat, any seat, KWIM?

BayGirl2
04-20-2011, 05:26 PM
geez... I simply wanted to let people know there are services out there. Sorry you guys want to attack me for finding out about them. I'm really not a freeloader! I swear! Now I just feel like a horrible person. Ok... point taken, I will not go along with this and will go buy my own seat. Sorry for sharing what I thought was useful information.

In reading the responses I didn't sense that anyone was attacking you. You said you had the same thought, that someone more "needy" should get those seats, so I think the PP's were just agreeing. You shouldn't feel like a horrible person, posting that is a good PSA. I wasn't aware that was available in some communities and its good info to be able to pass on.

Personally, I'm not a fan of used seats BUT, given you know the history and the only issue is a worn sticker, I'll wouldn't see any real safety problem with using the seat.

Serepta
04-20-2011, 05:30 PM
I understand what you're saying and I don't mean to freak out. It's just that I'm super stressed about all of this stuff. I can't tell you the hassle that getting a car seat has been for us due to some personal reasons and some simply logistical reasons. I know there's a need out there, which is why I had posted this in the first place to try and share information with those who may need assistance. I'm still trying to decide if I will go back or if I personally would be better buying my own seat. I guess I was just taking it as a personal attack because I really didn't mean to brag about a freebie, but was just trying to pass information on to others. But now I just feel like a horrible person for even posting this or going to the police station in the first place. Baby planning has been super overwhelming for me, as my husband and I couldn't get pregnant for 3 years, spent tons of time doing fertility treatments, and spent the last 8 months stressing that I will have yet another miscarriage. So, sorry if I'm a bit emotional.

sariana
04-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Serepta, I think it was very generous of you to post this information. Messages on forums often are short and to the point and may come across as tactless when that wasn't the intention at all.

Congratulations on your upcoming bundle of joy!

WolfpackMom
04-20-2011, 07:34 PM
No reason to sweat it OP, you shouldn't feel bad at all! Hopefully someone who could use some help getting a seat will see your post and will try out their local police. Don't stress, congratulations on your upcoming arrival!

Joolsplus2
04-21-2011, 08:17 AM
No worries, I'm glad you shared it. Since they have extra seats just lying around, it sounds like THEY aren't doing a very good job publicizing their own service!
Congrats on the long-awaited babe, by the way :bighand:

AshleyAnn
04-21-2011, 12:27 PM
I hope I didn't come off as judgement I just wanted you to know that the seats they give away may not be as nice as what you already own so if you could use what you have you might be better off keeping it. I didn't think you were milking the system I just want to be sure you have a seat you like that can/will use correctly everytime.

I tell people all the time about safekids free replacement seats. Anytime I see someone using a seat that is clearly unsafe I try to pass them my CPST business card and let them know we can replace thier seat for free.

We have a stockpile of seats too, we over bought years ago and have never managed to hand them all out. We just don't see many people who need replacements. We also have a partnership with BRU for $20 off any carseat coupons and most parents seem to perfer to take those and buy thier own seat.

AnnieW625
04-21-2011, 01:23 PM
If the only thing that is wrong with the seat your were given is the safety stickers I would still use it. I am using an almost 5 yr. old seat with DD2 and the safety stickers are gone, they came off a few months ago. The only person who has ever mentioned anything about it to me was an uptight Jet Blue flight attendant, but she still let me use the seat on the flight. I haven't looked into it but I am sure that you can order replacement stickers from Graco. Now if it was the original manufacture date sticker then I might think twice about using the seat, but if it's less than 6 yrs. old, never been in an accident, and is in good shape I see no harm in using the seat.

Welcome to the boards:)

Serepta
04-21-2011, 06:41 PM
I really do apologize about my emotional response.... I guess I was having a crazy pregnancy moment. I brought the seat in to see how to install it, and the officer told me that it was illegal and had to confiscate it, so I really can't use it. I thought it sounded weird that a seat would be deemed illegal just because of a worn off sticker, but I don't know much about NY state laws. I really didn't know anything about the safe kids program, but I told the guy that I certainly didn't want to take a seat away from a needy person. He said that they have dozens of them they've been trying to get rid of, so I'm thinking that they don't get a lot of customers. I'm not sure about the quality of the seats they have to offer. Anyhow, I guess I'm naive about a lot of this stuff.

lizzywednesday
04-21-2011, 09:35 PM
FWIW, the laws in NY state don't mention anything about stickers, just seats:

troopers.ny.gov/Traffic_Safety/Child_Safety_Seats/

Welcome to the board & good on you for the PSA!

AshleyAnn
04-21-2011, 10:09 PM
. I haven't looked into it but I am sure that you can order replacement stickers from Graco. Now if it was the original manufacture date sticker then I might think twice about using the seat, but if it's less than 6 yrs. old, never been in an accident, and is in good shape I see no harm in using the seat.

Graco does not offer replacement stickers. I tried to get a set for my seat when they came off and CS said no.

I agree if the orginal DOM sticker is missing I would be leary of using a seat since you cannot confirm recalls. But the expiration date is imprinted on the bottom of graco seats. Very odd I've never taken away a seat for sticker issues.

I do not like the seats we provide. The infant seats are very old - 2006/7 Cosco Designer 22's. They meet minimum test results but they aren't user friendly. We only give infant seats to those who absolutely cannot use a convertible so our stock is rather old. The convertibles are also very basic seats (evenflo? can't remember which) that meet minimum safety standards but do not have the convenience or safety features that some of the other seats have. They are both perfectly safe seats and I would be OK with DD riding in them but they aren't easy to use and don't have some of the advanced safety features so they aren't my top choice if I could afford better.