PDA

View Full Version : Zumba DVD

niccig
04-19-2011, 10:53 PM
So watching the Zumba informercial...it looks like fun. Any suggestions for a DVD I could get through netflix to try it.

ETA..can you really lose as much weight as they say?

willow33
04-20-2011, 10:17 AM
I know you burn a lot of calories! I haven't tried it, but a friend took a 60 minute class and burned over 400 calories.

niccig
04-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the reply.

So the Y I'm a member of only has one class time for zumba - I won't be able to make it for a couple of weeks. Of course it's early evening, but DS could have early dinner and then go to their childcare to play. They have some other dance classes, but some sounded too much like hip hop dancing. I'll try to get to the class a few times.

MommyAllison
04-20-2011, 01:06 PM
I have the DVDs, and I really like them. Can't speak to the weight loss aspect, as I got pregnant shortly after really being consistent with Zumba. I don't know if Netflix has them, but here is the set I have: http://www.amazon.com/Zumba-Fitness-Total-Transformation-System/dp/B002HZ4XMC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303319150&sr=8-1 My library has them but there were 60+ people on the waiting list. HTH

Melaine
04-20-2011, 01:13 PM
I really enjoyed the class I have tried and I definitely felt like I was burning calories. They calorie info I have found online was very high. I had never done ANY kind of aerobic class so I was intimidated but it was really fun.
:popc1:
I would also love recs for titles available on Netflix too so I will be watching the thread.

salsah
04-20-2011, 01:13 PM
a friend of mine raves about it and she has lost a lot of weight.

i just put a hold on it at my local library. i'm # 134 in line.

azazela
04-20-2011, 01:14 PM
I just looked at Netflix and it doesn't look like they have any Zumba DVDs... I've done Zumba classes and it is an awesome workout! :love-retry:

Melaine
04-20-2011, 01:24 PM
I just looked at Netflix and it doesn't look like they have any Zumba DVDs... I've done Zumba classes and it is an awesome workout! :love-retry:

You're right...I don't see any. Booooo Netflix.

I want to get the Kinect Zumba game but from the reviews it looked like the game was still really buggy.

DietCokeLover
04-20-2011, 01:29 PM
I have the dvd set that you can order off the tv, but I am ashamed to say that I have never used them.

Maybe I'll get inspired to try them after reading this.

azazela
04-20-2011, 01:30 PM
I have the dvd set that you can order off the tv, but I am ashamed to say that I have never used them.

Maybe I'll get inspired to try them after reading this.

Ooh try them and report back! :D

niccig
04-20-2011, 01:31 PM
You're right...I don't see any. Booooo Netflix.

I want to get the Kinect Zumba game but from the reviews it looked like the game was still really buggy.

Boo to that too

But we have a wii and I saw the zumba for wii, so that might be an option. I'll try to get to the class at the Y to see if I like it. There are other places that are about $15 a class or less if buy a package. One place has discount for full time student and I'll be that next semester.

I've put on the freshman 10 this semester...need to exercise and to stop snacking while studying!

Oh...I've never danced in my life. Will I be better off with a Y class, and look silly as try to follow along, or get a DVD/will to teach some basics. I'm also thinking the class timing 6.15-7pm isn't going to work all the time for DS and I. We're home late 3 nights a week as it is, this will be a 4th. But maybe for a few weeks we can do it and then I can swap to something on my own/elsewhere?? But then I think a class helps motivate me. Good eg. I'm all dressed to get on eliptical and study for my exam tomorrow and I"m on here talking about exercising!

ETA. I know someone here is a Zumba instructor? Who is that...

MommyAllison
04-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Oh...I've never danced in my life. Will I be better off with a Y class, and look silly as try to follow along, or get a DVD/will to teach some basics. I'm also thinking the class timing 6.15-7pm isn't going to work all the time for DS and I. We're home late 3 nights a week as it is, this will be a 4th. But maybe for a few weeks we can do it and then I can swap to something on my own/elsewhere?? But then I think a class helps motivate me. Good eg. I'm all dressed to get on eliptical and study for my exam tomorrow and I"m on here talking about exercising!

ETA. I know someone here is a Zumba instructor? Who is that...

I have not danced since I was 5 years old in ballet, and the DVD was all I needed to learn the steps. One of the DVDs has a 1 hr teaching session where they slowly teach you each step. I watched most of that, then after using the other DVDs for a week, I was able to follow them pretty easily. I am too shy and self conscious to learn in a class, especially because the Zumba class I would have taken is the same one several of my dance-team-captain-in-high-school friends take! ;) I figured that the Zumba classes don't teach basics every week for the newcomers, you probably have to pick it up as you go, but I don't know if that's accurate.

I think KBecks is a Zumba instructor?

MrsMcGwire
04-20-2011, 03:42 PM
I have Zumba for the Wii and it's great! It gives a great workout and kicks your butt, hehe, but you do end up with more energy. My mom takes a class 3 days a week and some of the ladies she goes to class with have lost 3 or more dress sizes each! It's crazy, hehe. My SIL was doing those classes and lost a good 50 lbs or so!

niccig
04-20-2011, 03:42 PM
I have not danced since I was 5 years old in ballet, and the DVD was all I needed to learn the steps. One of the DVDs has a 1 hr teaching session where they slowly teach you each step. I watched most of that, then after using the other DVDs for a week, I was able to follow them pretty easily. I am too shy and self conscious to learn in a class, especially because the Zumba class I would have taken is the same one several of my dance-team-captain-in-high-school friends take! ;) I figured that the Zumba classes don't teach basics every week for the newcomers, you probably have to pick it up as you go, but I don't know if that's accurate.

I think KBecks is a Zumba instructor?

I think it is KBecks or is it KristenK? I'll search and then PM.

I'm thinking of asking for the DVD set for mother's day. I too would feel a little self conscious with everything I have shaking in a class -and it's such an inconvenient time too.

niccig
04-20-2011, 03:44 PM
I have Zumba for the Wii and it's great! It gives a great workout and kicks your butt, hehe, but you do end up with more energy. My mom takes a class 3 days a week and some of the ladies she goes to class with have lost 3 or more dress sizes each! It's crazy, hehe. My SIL was doing those classes and lost a good 50 lbs or so!

Ok..that sold me. I'll try it at home first and then try to find a class - the Y I could make sometimes, and then there's a place nearby that has times I could make.

ETA. I called a local dance place that has Zumba. I could make the Wed, Sat or Sun class. The other ones are in the evening and DH isn't home in time. They owner answered and was so nice. She told me to not worry about 2 left feet, just come and have fun. It's $5 a class for your first week, so I'm going to try it next week. If I like it, I'll keep it up there or get DVD. They have student discount if taking 12 credits. I'm not now, but I will be next semester, and then the price drops to $10 a class from $15.

Sweetum
04-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Zumba is awesome! I only recently started, so I don't know if I'm losing weight yet, but it's very enjoyable which is required in a workout routine for me.

I'm a member in a local chain club, and have corporate access to any gym in the chain on weekends. They have Zumba classes on Sat and Sun and I attend both. I can get the membership for family too. Works perfectly for me since I can't spare time over the week and weekend, when DH is spending some quality time with DS, I do my moves ;) It works out $3 a class for me - much cheaper than other options I was looking at. Maybe your DH's workplace can offer something similar?

I've always enjoyed dancing and have danced here and there a bit. But Zumba is a slightly different level - fast and a lot of booty shaking - and that's awesome! Also, I haven't been active for the last 3 years or so (read the lounge thread about being a young mother). While I'm not as great as some of the folks in my class, I know I'm picking up. Btw, the instructers don't "teach" unless they are debuting a routine. Also, I found a couple of youtube videos to practice to at home (although I haven't done that yet!). So, do a search there. I'd say, don't hesitate in joining a class - it is much more fun in a group and you are more inclined to give it your best with people and mirrors all around you.

I might try the wii thing - does it need wii fit? or just the console?

hellokitty
04-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Zumba wii is good, but it is more latin moves and music. I also go to zumba class 1x a wk, but it's more hip hop music. I love it, it is so fun and I am NOT typically the type of person who likes to exercise. I feel as if it has helped me with some wt loss for sure.

Don't be intimidated. I am so uncoordinated, so I was scared I would look like an idiot, but most of the other ppl there don't know what they are doing either, so you aren't alone. And remember. Even if you can't quite get a move, don't stop, just keep MOVING! The whole point is the movement will help keep your heart rate elevated and burn the calories! Have fun with it! The zumba class I go to is mostly moms and everyone seems to have a fun time doing it. The thing with zumba is that the instructor doesn't give out a lot of directions or instruction. You just watch and follow what she does, so if you are one or two steps behind after she switches moves, that's totally normal. Once you get used to some of the regular routines/moves, it's easier to move with the flow.