PDA

View Full Version : Light Color Carseat Get Too Dirty?

HelpfulHubby
04-20-2011, 09:44 AM
We are currently trying to decide on carseat color choices for the Teutonia T-tario 35 in beige, green, or black. Our initial preference is the beige one, because we like the visual look of it better, and because we live in the south where it will be 90+ degrees for DS first 4 - 5 months.

That said, we wonder if we will end up hating that choice as the light color starts to show dirt and stains faster than another color. We plan to use this seat for more than one child, so we don't want it looking like the pits before the second one is even born. The green would be second choice, but again, its a lighter color and I assume succeptable to easier visual soiling.

Can anyone share experiences or thoughts on which way to go here?

Joolsplus2
04-20-2011, 10:00 AM
I don't think lighter colors are too bad for infant seats...though this one lasts longer than others, kids still typically won't be out tromping through the mud before getting into it and slurping down a chocolate milkshake (that's what's ruined my car, when the kids were older, lol). Plus, tan is a good blend for the inevitable diaper blowout that will happen at least once, so it should wash up nicely.
When you get into convertibles, the seats that last up to 2-3 years rearfacing and 4-6 years forward facing, then, yeah, you want to maybe go with a darker color to stay nice looking (Though I had a bright yellow velour cover on one seat, and after a few weeks, denim blue jean color would transfer into the seat pretty bad, but one 'gentle hand wash' cycle and air-dry got it looking like new again in a jiffy :))

AshleyAnn
04-20-2011, 10:24 AM
I had a light pink version of the same seat and it did not get terribly dirty. The covers are washable so anytime it got a spot I just tossed it in the laundry.

My new black convertible shows dirt (and cat hair!) much worse than my pink seat did.

BayGirl2
04-20-2011, 11:54 AM
We have a Boulevard with mostly beige colours on it. Its been over a year and that kind of dirty hasn't really been a problem. The bigger problem seems to be little pieces of food embedded in the seat - bunnies, cheerios and the like. We don't do a lot of eating in the car and its usually something solid as a snack, not like yogurt or chocolate milk. Any liquid spills are likely to be drool and spit up that make that light crusty coating and will show up on any color, they probably look more gross on the dark brown parts of our seat and blend in on the light parts.

Just realized this sounds incredibly gross and its time to wash our cover. But I'd still go with whatever color you prefer and plan to wash it annually or between kids regardless of color.

Joolsplus2
04-20-2011, 01:17 PM
LOL, I've seen some really, really, really gross things at carseat checks and the BRU trade in event, yours is nothing, even by description.
Baby Wipes are a miracle at that crusty stuff...it's nice when you can give your toddler a baby wipe and tell them to clean FOR you, too. Then a quick vacuum of the crumbs (and french fry salt and sesame seeds, I'm embarrassed to admit, lol) and voila, good as new.

BayGirl2
04-20-2011, 02:49 PM
LOL, I've seen some really, really, really gross things at carseat checks and the BRU trade in event, yours is nothing, even by description.
Baby Wipes are a miracle at that crusty stuff...it's nice when you can give your toddler a baby wipe and tell them to clean FOR you, too. Then a quick vacuum of the crumbs (and french fry salt and sesame seeds, I'm embarrassed to admit, lol) and voila, good as new.

Brilliant idea! DS loves to imitate Daddy by cleaning. I think I'll bring some wipes when I pick him up today!

The seat got a good dump out when it switched cars this weekend, so I actually think it can go another few months before a washing. :-)

HelpfulHubby
04-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Ok, so Topaz Green....

http://common1.csnimages.com/lf/2/hash/10250/3639934/1/Teutonia-T-Tario-Infant-Car-Seat-in-Topaz-Green.jpg

or Black

http://www.superiorcarseats.com/images/thumbs/teutonia/teutonia_tario35_black.jpg

GraceH
04-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Comprise... do a SnugRide35 in 'Flint' - not as dark as Black, but darker than light green (the SR35s are the same shell as the T35s)
http://www.buybuybaby.com/assets/product_images/230/12721416925403P.JPG