PDA

View Full Version : website: What Real Women Look Like

mackmama
04-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Interesting website: http://www.mybodygallery.com
You plug in your weight, height, body shape, etc and see pics of other women with similar stats. I think it's to combat distorted body image.

artvandalay
04-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Interesting.

Kinda reminds me a little bit of this one:

http://theshapeofamother.com/

MamaSnoo
04-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Agree. Interesting.

I do not think of myself as someone with lots of body issues, but I thought the women in the pics with my stats look a lot better than I do. But, I guess, in reality, they must not look that different from me. Eyeopener.

ashleybama24
04-20-2011, 10:12 PM
Never thought body size was an issue for me (minus pregnancy) but if I honestly look like the women my "size" I need to make some changes.

SnuggleBuggles
04-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Never thought body size was an issue for me (minus pregnancy) but if I honestly look like the women my "size" I need to make some changes.

I kind of thought the same thing. Even if I kept lowering the weight, I still didn't see bodies I expected to see. I guess that is kind of the point of it? But, I feel like I can guess weight pretty well and know what my peers look like at certain heights and weights and I feel they look smaller than the photos I was seeing (I looking was in the 5'2", 110-130 category).

Beth

maestramommy
04-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Wow, the women in my category look a lot like me. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

hellokitty
04-20-2011, 10:36 PM
I do not think of myself as someone with lots of body issues, but I thought the women in the pics with my stats look a lot better than I do. But, I guess, in reality, they must not look that different from me. Eyeopener.

I thought the same thing. The only thing that bugs me though is that the pant sizes are all over the place and I tend to be one of those who always wears a higher pant size. I actually looked at the pant size for what I weighed when I was in high school and most of the girls were saying their pant sizes were size 2-4 and I was a freakin EIGHT at the same wt! I am that way now too, where my pant size is just higher, I must have a weird body, b/c I admit that I have a very difficult time finding pants that fit me correctly, they are always too saggy on the butt if they fit at the waist. I guess I'm an apple.

momof2girls
04-20-2011, 11:12 PM
hmmm...the women in my category appear slimmer than I do.

bisous
04-21-2011, 12:16 AM
I'm scared to go the site. I have a BETTER opinion of my body than I probably should. I had such a great figure in high school and college and I absolutely have gotten more lumpy, bumpy and out of shape since having children and aging 15 years or so. But I feel pretty good about myself now, better than I ever did then. I guess ignorance is bliss...

NancyJ_redo
04-21-2011, 01:23 AM
Bummer, I was interested in seeing the pictures but there aren't any with my stats. They suggested I upload my picture, um...no thanks!

AshleyAnn
04-21-2011, 02:30 AM
Thanks for posting this! I just lost a bit of weight and have recently realized that my body image is not what it should be. I had to increase my weight 10lbs to find photos and I was amazed - they look great and they are supposed to be 10lbs heavier. I'll add my photo tomorrow. Shame I still don't feel like I look like that.

essnce629
04-21-2011, 05:39 AM
Cool! The woman with my stats also appeared to look better than me! A lot of them appeared to be super young though and most likely without kids (thus explaining the super flat bellies).

ashleybama24
04-21-2011, 05:55 AM
But, I feel like I can guess weight pretty well and know what my peers look like at certain heights and weights and I feel they look smaller than the photos I was seeing (I looking was in the 5'2", 110-130 category).

Beth

I was the same category and there is NO WAY some of those women were a size 2 or 4 or whatever they claimed to be. I even went and looked up a photo, pre-pregnancy, to see if I really looked like that. I'm all for "real" women having curves but this was in no way accurate. Or these women needed stylists to show them more flattering clothing options because what they were wearing did not do them justice.

daisymommy
04-21-2011, 07:41 AM
I thought the women in the pics with my stats look a lot better than I do. But, I guess, in reality, they must not look that different from me. Eyeopener.

:yeahthat: I kept thinking, but she has such a cuter figure than me!

SnuggleBuggles
04-21-2011, 07:57 AM
I was the same category and there is NO WAY some of those women were a size 2 or 4 or whatever they claimed to be. I even went and looked up a photo, pre-pregnancy, to see if I really looked like that. I'm all for "real" women having curves but this was in no way accurate. Or these women needed stylists to show them more flattering clothing options because what they were wearing did not do them justice.

:rotflmao:on the stylist comment! Really, if you were going to upload your pic too, why would you wear baggy, frumpy clothes so no one could actually see your body shape? Defeats the point of the site. I'm glad I'm not alone in my thoughts on that category!

Beth

mommy111
04-21-2011, 07:59 AM
:rotflmao:on the stylist comment! Really, if you were going to upload your pic too, why would you wear baggy, frumpy clothes so no one could actually see your body shape? Defeats the point of the site. I'm glad I'm not alone in my thoughts on that category!

Beth
Same-ish category. And there is NO way I am as fat and short as some of those women are :) Either these ladies are just frumpy or they're lying about their weights or they have really untoned bodies. That is my story and I'm sticking to it :)

WolfpackMom
04-21-2011, 08:05 AM

:yeahthat: I feel mean saying that, but its true. A couple of them I thought were spot on, others not so much...

weech
04-21-2011, 08:09 AM
This site is making me re-evaluate my wardrobe! :ROTFLMAO:

Mikey0709
04-21-2011, 09:06 AM
I know alot of you were saying women in your catagory looked frumpy from wearing baggy clothes - - i saw the OPPOSITE - - - woman in my size 20-22 category all wore clothes WAYYYYYY to tight on them!!! It just gave me added incentive to diet if i look like THAT!!!

SURE goes to show what a difference PROPER fitting pants make!!!

BabyBearsMom
04-21-2011, 09:08 AM
My stats don't have a matching picture. I must be a freak of nature! ;)

mrshalco
04-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Bummer, I was interested in seeing the pictures but there aren't any with my stats. They suggested I upload my picture, um...no thanks!

Same with my stats! LOL I liked looking for comparision sake...but I don't think I could ever post my own pic!!

BabyMine
04-21-2011, 09:26 AM

:yeahthat: The point is to see what other women look like. I know what I look like.

crl
04-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Agree. Interesting.

There was only one with my stats and shape, but she definitely looked better than I do. Muscle weighs more than fat and she looked to be in better shape than I am. Sigh.

Catherine

BabyH
04-21-2011, 11:02 AM
This is good timing for me. I was just looking at some clothes I wore a few years ago, and by the time I had tossed aside the 5th dress that was a 6P, I stopped and rolled my eyes. I remember being so self conscious then and thinking my body needed to be better. Now that I am several sizes bigger, and have had a child, my body image is way more relaxed, except the fact that I love my body much more now. It'll never be the same... but who cares - my stretch marks are signs of the life I made... and my love handles are signs of the wine and chocolate I love having in my life. :p I think it's a great site. Everyone is different - numbers are just that... numbers...