PDA

View Full Version : getting 2y.o to sleep

momofee
04-21-2011, 02:17 PM
This is my first post, but I have been following a long for a bit and truly enjoy the advice, guidance, and support offered. I am slowly starting to unravel, so here is my first request for help :).

My 2 y.o. DS started climbing out of bed (pack and play and crib). So, we took out all his toys and put his mattress on the floor. He has a new pillow, his favorite blanket, and started bringing a book to bed. He understands the concept of this being his new bed and will lay down and let me tuck him in, sing songs, and read books. However, he screems bloody murder at nap and bed time. He's fine if I sit next to him or even across the room from him, but as soon as I cross the gate keeping him in, the screeming starts and he runs around the room. He's going on an hour now screeming, running in circles, and slamming doors. I know the poor guy is just exhausted. He used to go to bed before 8pm and sleep/quiet time until 7:30-8am and take a 2-3 hour nap. With the new situation, he hasn't gone to bed before 9pm, wakes before 7a (last night he was up for over an hour playing with his door) and hasn't napped well at all.

I'm not a huge fan of CIO, but I'm not sure what else I should do. He is speech delayed (understands everything) and can't tell me what he is feeling, but we do talk about all the possible feelings he may be having. Should I let him CIO? Or should I stay with him until he falls asleep? Or does anyone have better advice?

Thanks so much!

cntrymoon2
04-22-2011, 02:31 AM
Bumping to say I'll be watching this thread in case it's just around the corner for me in the next year.... hope somebody helps out with some btdt advice!

chozen
04-22-2011, 09:38 AM
i to am not a fan of cio so i suggest you lay next to him until he falls asleep or sit in the room until he is sleeping, you can gradually move closer to the door each night waiting for him to fall asleep. if he is need of a good nights sleep that is where i would start.:)

nfowife
04-22-2011, 09:43 AM
I'd say back in the crib with a crib tent. Sounds like he just isn't quite ready for a regular bed yet. Why make it so hard?