PDA

View Full Version : Another book thread...recommendations for my 2-yr-old?

happymom
04-21-2011, 02:45 PM
DD is 2 years 4 months. We have lots and lots of cute board books at home that she loves- Sandra Boyton books, Dr. Suess books, and some of the classics like Good Night Moon. Yesterday, we were by my parents house, and I was shocked to watch DD sit and listen attentively to a fairly long Curious George and then Clifford book. I hadn't realized she could sit and follow a story for that long! So now I want to update our collection. What are some good books to start with? Something with nice illustrations is a plus since she loves looking at the pictures and pointing out things she knows.

Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
04-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Longer books that we love for our 3yo-
Little Quack
If you Give a ___ a ___ (If you Give a Mouse a Cookie)
the Bear books- Bear Snores On, Bear Wants More
How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight
Knuffle Bunny

Beth

happymom
04-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Longer books that we love for our 3yo-
Little Quack
If you Give a ___ a ___ (If you Give a Mouse a Cookie)
the Bear books- Bear Snores On, Bear Wants More
How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight
Knuffle Bunny

Beth

Those are all great suggestions. I have all those book in my classroom, but somehow I blank out for my own DD. Especially the "If you give a ___ a ____"- I think DD would really enjoy that! The dinosaur books are really cute too.
Thanks!

larig
04-21-2011, 08:09 PM
DS loves Click Clack Moo. It's a silly book about typing cows. The illustrations are my favorite part.
http://www.amazon.com/Click-Clack-Moo-Cows-That/dp/0689832133

DrSally
04-21-2011, 08:10 PM
She can definitely do those books and will love them. DD is a similar age, a bit older, and loves the same books Ds loves.

BeachBum
04-21-2011, 08:12 PM
We have all boys.. but mine (27 months) really like

Good Night Gorilla
Trashy Town
Curious George
Papa Small / Fireman Small
The Mrs. Wishy Washy Series
Fun Dog, Sun Dog
Aint Gonna Paint No More
Clarabella's Teeth

ETA
What to do with a kangaroo
But NO Elephants

jjordan
04-21-2011, 08:23 PM
I love "A Visitor for Bear."

If she likes the sound of poetry then try Kurt Cyrus books (Hotel Deep & Oddhopper Opera) - the content will be a bit over her head, but the rhythm of the poetry is beautiful and the illustrations are gorgeous.

Tracey
04-21-2011, 08:28 PM
It's Not Easy Being a Bunny
The Napping House
Richard Scarry's Best First Book Ever

ett
04-21-2011, 09:31 PM
You could try some of Eric Carle's longer books like Mr. Seahorse, Pancakes, Pancakes, Rooster's Off to See the World, etc.

elbenn
04-21-2011, 11:22 PM
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus (and other books from this series)
Where the Wild Things Are
Chugga Chugga Choo Choo
Dog by Matthew Van Fleet (more of a picture book but so cute)

cntrymoon2
04-22-2011, 01:31 AM
I recently discovered and fell in love with the Llama llama series by Anna Dewdney. There are video clips of her reading some of the books on Amazon, so you can hear. Llama, llama, Red Pajama is my favorite.