PDA

View Full Version : Starting my exercise program tomorrow

niccig
04-22-2011, 03:28 AM
I have a technique class for pilates tomorrow, so I can then use the gift certificate DH gave me for Christmas...it's only April so not toooo bad. At least I could still find it!

They give a free session when sign up and I opted for the technique class to learn how to use the machines - then it's twice a week in a class of 10 people for 2 months.

I also called a place that offers zumba and I can go for the first week for only $5, after that it's $15 a class (less if you buy a package), and next semester when I have a full time class load, it'll be $10. If I like it, I'm going to try to go 1-2x a week and/or get a DVD for home.

I'm going to be better about packing lunch on school days to cover the zumba class. If I like the pilates, I'm going to ask family to give me gift certificates to the studio as presents. MIL will often give me a GC for a manicure or to put towards a massage for my birthday. My family overseas do GC too, as no shipping to pay.

I've put on the freshman 15 - well, only freshman 8 but my first year back at school isn't halfway yet.

Little nervous as never done pilates or zumba, but when I called both studios this week, the staff were so nice on the phone. I think I'm going to be sore tomorrow night!

willow33
04-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Good for you! Let us know what you think :) I found that once I started exercising on a regular basis that it became addicting and I felt awful when I missed a day. I still want to try Zumba!!

niccig
04-22-2011, 04:51 PM
So pilates is not going to be easy. I am sore. I'm going to do several technique classes before move on to regular class. The instructor was really nice and helpful.

I'll report back about the Zumba class next week.

Sweetum
04-22-2011, 05:01 PM
You go girl! Zumba is going to be fun :) I have heard pilates is tough but with your motivation you'll do fine :)

niccig
04-27-2011, 08:49 PM
I had my Zumba class today. It was Zumba toning. I can not dance at all, never really did ballet or anything as a child. I have 2 left feet and I'm clumsy. The staff at the studio were really nice, told me to not worry and just have fun...I did say I would be the clueless one at the back - nope, she put me front and center, so I could see.

It was fun, I was laughing at some things. I was sweating buckets. I couldn't do everything - I'm amazed a person's hips can move like that. But I tried. If I couldn't do the steps exactly right, I just did my best and kept moving like others here told me to do. I walked out feeling energized. I know I'm out of shape, but I felt better doing this than I did in a regular aerobics class - maybe it was the lack of jumping/bouncing. We did a little, but not too much.

I can make a weekend class, and the instructor said it will be much busier and it's just all Zumba, but she told me to get their early to get a spot. I think more of the hard core people go on weekends, this was a mid morning class with 8 people all about my age. I'll try and keep up and just have fun.

SnuggleBuggles
04-27-2011, 08:53 PM
I really enjoyed Zumba. It made me happy. :) But, I eventually decided I wasn't getting a good enough workout from it compared to something like spinning or weight lifting. Part of the problem was the class was so popular at 1 location that you couldn't get space to make the moves big enough to really burn much. At the other location it was much less crowded and a better workout. Some of the hardcore people (the ones with Zumba licensed apparel, for example) were kind of hard for me to handle- a bit too much of a cult. ;) Just don't take anyone's spot is my advice!

Beth

hillview
04-27-2011, 09:29 PM
WOOT! Nice work -- enjoy and let us know how it goes!!
/hillary

niccig
04-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Some of the hardcore people (the ones with Zumba licensed apparel, for example) were kind of hard for me to handle- a bit too much of a cult. ;) Just don't take anyone's spot is my advice!

Beth

Thanks for the warning about taking someone's spot. Today wasn't like that at all, 8 people all around my age in workout pants and plain t-shirts.

I'm doing pilates and eliptical as well as zumba. Just trying some new things..bored with regular gym classes.

SnuggleBuggles
04-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I never knew what classes were more mellow at first. It was a stunner when someone told me I was in their spot and was asked to move. I have a favorite spot for my classes but I know if someone beats me to it then it's my loss. I did move but it left a bitter after taste.

It really is a fun way to exercise, that's for sure at least!!

Beth

niccig
04-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I never knew what classes were more mellow at first. It was a stunner when someone told me I was in their spot and was asked to move. I have a favorite spot for my classes but I know if someone beats me to it then it's my loss. I did move but it left a bitter after taste.
h

I wouldn't have liked that either and tempted to say "I don't see your name written anywhere?"

niccig
04-29-2011, 05:22 PM
2nd pilates class today. Oh My, I didn't know I had so many muscles! It was the technique class again, and I have another one tomorrow. DH then wants to go bike riding...I don't think I'm going to be able to move let alone ride a bike. I also want to go to Zumba on Sunday night. Hopefully, I can get through the weekend - I am taking it easy as in I did easier version of pilates exercises knowing that I'll be back tomorrow morning. I would like a day break between the classes, but it doesn't work with my schedule.