PDA

View Full Version : Getting 5.5 month DS to drink water

new_mom_mry
04-22-2011, 01:10 PM
We recently started some stage 1 solids (bananas, squash, prunes, etc.) and our ped recommended that I give DS some water throughout the day to prevent constipation (and indeed his BM patterns have already become way less regular). He is exclusively breastfed and gets 3 bottles throughout the day from our nanny when I am at work. The nanny and I are both struggling with getting him to drink water though. He doesn't want to drink it from his Born Free bottles. Is he too young for the Born Free training cup? I'd also like to give him some diluted pear juice (another recommendation from our ped) to help with the constipation issues, and he doesn't like it either. Any ideas for age-appropriate ways to get this baby to drink water and pear juice??

Green_Tea
04-22-2011, 01:15 PM
I would NOT start juice for a 5.5 year old and wouldn't really be pushing water, either - it fills them up but has no calories. Instead I would work with non-constipating foods (ie: skip the bananas) and add things like pears. I would also make sure that the solids are in addition to the breastmilk/formula, not in place if it. At 5.5 months, all of your baby's caloric needs should still be met by breastmilk/formula - the solids should be for exploration of textures and flavors, not nutrition.

new_mom_mry
04-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Ok, maybe I should add a couple of clarifications. Right now I am trying to get DS to drink water/juice to get back to his regular BM pattern. Although I plan to give him small amounts of water to go with the small amounts of solids he is getting right now for the experience, pear juice is just to get him to poop. I am well aware that first foods are just for the experience.

rin
04-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Our DD never could figure out sippy cups (she's now almost 12 months), but we've been giving her straw cups with great success. We got the Munchkin ones from Amazon and like them a lot.

ohsara430
04-22-2011, 01:27 PM
How about just using stage 1 pears instead of worrying about the pear juice? That's what we did at that age. I don't think it's too early to start trying a first sippy cup but really some pureed pears and breastmilk should be all he needs to get things going. How long has he been constipated?

new_mom_mry
04-22-2011, 01:57 PM
How about just using stage 1 pears instead of worrying about the pear juice? That's what we did at that age. I don't think it's too early to start trying a first sippy cup but really some pureed pears and breastmilk should be all he needs to get things going. How long has he been constipated?

I like that idea and do plan to puree and offer some pears over the wknd. Sadly the prunes haven't done the trick by themselves just yet (we gave them yesterday and nanny is giving them today). He's been constipated for 4 days now....

firemama
04-22-2011, 09:23 PM
I know this is a totally out there suggestion, but you could try putting him on a potty. Maybe you already have one or could borrow one from a friend. I'm not saying you should start potty training. I have been reading about elimination communication in the book Diaper Free Baby, and one part says if your LO (no matter what age) hasn't pooped in a while, maybe they don't want to go in their diaper. You could try sitting him on it after BFing or naps and you never know what will come out. It's worth a shot.:shrug:

BabyH
04-23-2011, 10:23 AM
DS has forever struggled with constipation issues. While some believe not having a bm for four days is still considered normal, I could always tell when he needed some help. After 6 months I did offer a bit of diluted pear or 100% white grape juice. It usually worked. If not, he got a suppository. Honestly, that's what I'd do in your case now. Just cut them in half. You may have to ask the pharmacist for them. Anyway, now DS gets prunes every day. And another fruit that works for him is kiwi. But don't get alarmed when you see all the seeds in a diaper. Good luck - it's the worst.

Multimama
04-23-2011, 10:36 AM
If he's getting constipated why not just wait on the solids for awhile? Most babies are not ready for solids at 5.5 months anyway. My DS wasn't ready until closer to 7 months and the AAP recommends waiting until at least 6 months. An immature digestive track could lead to constipation no matter what you give him since he can't properly digest the food. He doesn't need any solid food for nutrition at that age, so there's really no reason not to wait.

sunnyside
04-24-2011, 04:44 PM
My 9 month old just eats such tiny amounts of solids now. She also has a small glass that we put filtered water in and hold for her to drink. She's been practicing that way for a few months and it works great! Good luck!
They don't need much solids yet!

new_mom_mry
04-24-2011, 08:48 PM
thanks everyone--no more constipation issues...the pears are what helped. Not prunes or warm baths or tiny bits of water, which all did nothing. I suspect that one possible culprit was the terrible vit D that we were giving because it contained A, C, D + Iron. I think the iron made DS constipated more so than the small amount of bananas that he had. I stopped giving it a few days ago and ordered one where it's just D. As for whether it's the right time for solids...it's a great question and a separate issue in itself...I am giving small amounts for practice only, and only age appropriate purees. He's enjoying them and I am hoping that he will be a more adventurous (aka less picky) eater when he is older because of early positive experiences (5.5 months is not super early anyway, which is just about when we started).

sunnyside
04-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Glad things are going well! Sounds like you are doing great and glad the constipation has gone away!

BabyBearsMom
04-25-2011, 02:59 PM
If he's getting constipated why not just wait on the solids for awhile? Most babies are not ready for solids at 5.5 months anyway. My DS wasn't ready until closer to 7 months and the AAP recommends waiting until at least 6 months. An immature digestive track could lead to constipation no matter what you give him since he can't properly digest the food. He doesn't need any solid food for nutrition at that age, so there's really no reason not to wait.

ITA with Multimama. DD started solids at about 5.5 months and didn't have any trouble. When we would go out to a restaurant to eat, I would give her a strawful of water (with my finger over the end of the straw) and she would drink that, but that wasn't until she was 7 or 8 months old. I would really not want to give a baby juice though. DD is over a year, and I still won't give her juice.

mikala
04-25-2011, 11:17 PM
As for whether it's the right time for solids...it's a great question and a separate issue in itself...I am giving small amounts for practice only, and only age appropriate purees. He's enjoying them and I am hoping that he will be a more adventurous (aka less picky) eater when he is older because of early positive experiences (5.5 months is not super early anyway, which is just about when we started).

Glad to hear his issues have resolved!

Re: the picky eater reasoning, I've heard a few folks say that breast-fed babies are already getting some additional flavors like garlic or spicy foods in their milk due to mama's diet. While I definitely understand the urge to give him a lot of options early to expand his future tastes I'd take thing slowly for a few months until his digestive system matures. It varies by child but my son (and many of his friends) wasn't ready for most solids until 7-8 months. He could eat things before then but they often didn't seem to digest well and it was easier on both of us when he matured a little and was ready to try most table food.

I really liked wholesomebabyfood.com at this age and Kellymom also had some great info on solids.

persephonefalls
05-10-2011, 02:54 PM
This is kind of annoying, but when my daughter refused to take water in a bottle, we'd spoon-feed her the water. It's a pain, but it got water into her. And then, a few months later, we started her on the sippy cup, and that's been a lot more successful.

new_mom_mry
05-11-2011, 01:18 PM
thanks everyone--he's been quite regular with his poops lately so I have not had the need to offer him water! :)