PDA

View Full Version : Good booster for small kids

yankinweimar
04-22-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm thinking ahead to booster training, likely this summer/fall when DD is getting closer to 6. She's little- 37-38 lbs and about 42 inches. Right now she's happy in her harnessed Nauti and I plan to keep her that way for a while. I've experimented with the Nauti belt fit in my Mazda 5 and it's not good. So we'll be shopping for a booster (yay! But don't tell DH just yet!). I've tested her out in a Vivo and liked the belt fit, and I've read that the Cybex X is also good for smaller kids. Any suggestions? I would love one that latches for convenience but it's not necessary. I *really* should keep it to under $100 because if I don't, DH will start with "I thought you said the Nautilus would be her least seat..."

I'd like to invest in a good booster that she can use to practise in, and then eventually as her everyday seat. I will keep one Nauti to use for harnessing on long trips and hope that as she gets bigger, the fit will be better. Am considering a Turbo or something like it for DH's car (infrequent local trips) and carpooling/playdates. But I'm not certain that one kid needs 4 seats:D

ETA- make that FIVE. She's in a harnessed Maestro in my mum's car for preschool drop off. Should I throw that into the mix for booster training also?

yankinweimar
04-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Anybody have any ideas? I'm stalking the Cybex and it's $104 right now. I like the LATCHability of the Cybex too- but I think I read that you still have to buckle it in when it's not in use? I'd love the convenience of LATCHing it to avoid it becoming a projectile.

kwc
04-28-2011, 09:43 PM
My DD (7.5) is very slender and quite petite. She was probably about 45 inches and 40ish pounds when we started her in a HBB last year. We have a Vivo, a couple Parkway SGs and a couple of TurboBoosters (for grandparents' and uncle's cars). All were less than $100 (got the Parkways during elitecarseats.com sale plus some coupon I think so it came to $94 or something).

Her preference is Vivo-->Parkway------> TurboBooster (and this is the $70ish one with memory foam). She finds the Vivo the most comfortable and easiest to buckle. It's very light and easy to move/ transport but does not convert to a LBB. I don't know how easy it is to find and not sure what the date of manufacture would be on one you purchased now.... are they making new Vivos since the ProBooster has been released?

If you don't plan to move it from car to car, I would also look at the Sunshine Kids Monterey... anti-submarining and LATCH to hold it in place... fits a good variety of kids. We didn't get it because it's so heavy and wide and it's a bit more than $100 even on sale.

We've not tried the Cybex... don't plan on buying her any more HBBs... ha! We also keep a couple of Harmony LiteRider LBB in the car for carpooling and for travel, and she loves it and it fits her surprisingly well (we use it with the shoulder belt guide).

spunkybaby
04-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Her preference is Vivo-->Parkway------> TurboBooster (and this is the $70ish one with memory foam). She finds the Vivo the most comfortable and easiest to buckle. It's very light and easy to move/ transport but does not convert to a LBB. I don't know how easy it is to find and not sure what the date of manufacture would be on one you purchased now.... are they making new Vivos since the ProBooster has been released?

I just saw that Vivos are in stock at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Recaro-Booster-Midnight-Desert-Micofiber/dp/B000UCHS62/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1304132405&sr=8-9) if anyone's interested. No idea about DOM though.

bubbaray
04-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Parkway has a minimum weight of 40lbs.