PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take for your milk to come in? *update* getting worried..Update in OP

okinawama
04-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Title says it all.

I'm also particularly interested if you had a c-section. I've read that it can take longer if you've had a c-section opposed to a vaginal delivery, did you find that to be the case?

One more thing....when your milk came in did it all come in in one shot or more gradually?

Update:
So, we're still plugging away and my milk hasn't really come in like I thought. It's clearly not just colostrum, but it's such a ridiculously low amount of milk that I'm starting to get worried.

Here are my worries:
*He's not producing the recommended number of dirty diapers. On day 3 he had 1 wet diaper and two dirty. They are still green rather than yellow.
* I have zero feeling of fullness in the breasts, no heaviness and don't really notice a difference in the feeling of the breasts before a feed and after.
* when pumping I'm getting drops, literally. I've never tried pumping right before a feed, but about an hour after yield really pitiful results.
* His latch is bad. I'm in contact with LLL leaders and a LC, but since it's a holiday weekend it's been a little harder to get help. I had cracked nipples as well as some scabbing but after trying some of the suggestions it *seems* to be getting better.

** I know some of these things can be completely normal, but I feel like combined, maybe something isn't quite right**

Things that seem to be going right:
*he seems to have put himself on a schedule. He wakes almost exactly at the 2hr marks and feeds. I never let him go longer than 2hrs, and he hasn't ever tried. Up until the 2hr mark he seems fine ( I was thinking that if he were still hungry he would be fussy)
* he's sleeping well!
*he is incredibly content during the day, gets a little fussy at night, but overall is incredibly mellow.
* I am taking fenegreek, pumping after at least 3 or 4 of the feedings, drinking plenty of water, trying to eat a well balanced diet.

What do you think? What is going on with my supply ( or lack there of?)?

citymama
04-22-2011, 11:59 PM
DD1 - c-section delivery at 7.30 pm on a Weds. The milk was in by late Friday night, so about 2 days after giving birth. I started getting seriously engorged over the course of the Saturday, so I guess you could say it came in over the course of a day.

DD2 - Vaginal birth at 3.30 pm on Thurs. My milk was in by Friday night! The nurses pooh-poohed me when I said my milk was coming in the day after giving birth, but there it was! Engorgement over the course of Fri night/ Saturday morning. Ouch, ouch, ouch.

I think I was a day earlier than typical in both cases. I had been told by the nurses that 3-4 days post partum is typical for c/s births and 2-3 days for vaginal births.

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
04-23-2011, 01:31 AM
It was sooooo stressful each time. All 3 ended up having to go on formula the first two weeks because they were losing so much weight - darn milk took so long to come in!

bubbaray
04-23-2011, 01:33 AM
2 c/s, milk came in in under 2 days with both.

Momto1
04-23-2011, 01:38 AM
IIRC, it was somewhere between 2 and 3 days pp. DD was a vaginal birth. And it was all at once.

I remember wondering if my milk had come in yet. When it finally did, there was no mistaking it. Holy engorgement, batman.

bubbaray
04-23-2011, 01:42 AM
Holy engorgement, batman.

No kidding. I'd rather have an unmedicated c/s than go through that again. I went from normal boobs to basketballs (and rock-freakin'-hard basketballs, I might add) in about 30 seconds. Definitely no mistaking that....

essnce629
04-23-2011, 02:32 AM
2 days with both kids and both were easy homebirths. I had HORRIBLE engorgement both times that left me in tears! It came on gradually, but this time I went up SIX cup sizes when my milk came in! It was sooo painful I couldn't stand up straight, wear DS in a carrier, or sleep on my side for about a week. I was so hard as a rock that I had to pump for 2 minutes each time I nursed DS in order to be able to latch him on. By 10 days postpartum I had 80oz of milk in my freezer!!!!! The pain from the engorement was way worse than the pain of an unmedicated birth!

3blackcats
04-23-2011, 07:28 AM
You left out the 'other' option :)
Never for me, had to go on drugs to get a few drops of milk for each child.

daisymommy
04-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Not sure if you have had your baby yet (we're thinking of you!) but the quickest way to get your milk to come in is nurse every 1-2 hours while baby is awake, and never let them sleep more than 2-3 hours at a stretch. If they are showing signs of wanting to nurse (sucking on fingers, rooting at the breast, crying) nurse them, even if you only fed them 30 minutes ago.

And drink, drink, drink water. Liquid in = liquid out.

Snuggle your baby skin to skin, smell them, keep them close to you. That will cause your body to produce more of the bonding hormone oxytocin that causes your milk to come in.

Hugs, and hang in there!

Oh, almost forgot. With #1 vaginal birth, epidural, couldn't get him to ever wake up enough to latch on real well and stimulate my supply. It took 5 days. With #2 and #3 drug free vaginal births it took 2 days and 1 day.

hillview
04-23-2011, 09:06 AM
I said 4 days. With DS1 it was just as I was leaving the hospital following a section. With DS2 it was the day before (day 3?). I did nurse every 2 hours and had colostrum but real milk took a few days.
/hillary

Multimama
04-23-2011, 09:10 AM
I had a c-section. I actually can't remember how long it took my milk to come in. I don't remember much from that time! But I remember they wanted to supplement with formula.

The nurse at the time said that the reason it can take longer after a c-section for your milk to come in is because the stress hormones you often produce after major surgery inhibit milk production. Of course this would vary from woman to woman. I remember them making me some tea in the hospital specifically to help with nursing/milk production.

With *very* frequent nursing we were able to avoid formula. (I was worried about supplementing because it can mean the milk takes even longer to come in or that it's hard to get your supply up to a stable level.)

BabyH
04-23-2011, 10:17 AM
A week. I was induced and had a c section after hours of pushing and DS not wanting to budge. He was taken to the NICU and given formula; I did not nurse immediately because I was SO out of it - I woke up in recovery. I started pumping the next day every three hours, had the LC help me get him to latch so he'd at least get colostrum. Right when I was convinced the milk was never coming... I woke up one morning and it was there. And I successfully BF'd for a whole year.

BabyH
04-23-2011, 10:18 AM
IIRC, it was somewhere between 2 and 3 days pp. DD was a vaginal birth. And it was all at once.

I remember wondering if my milk had come in yet. When it finally did, there was no mistaking it. Holy engorgement, batman.

What she said!

Melaine
04-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Title says it all.

I'm also particularly interested if you had a c-section. I've read that it can take longer if you've had a c-section opposed to a vaginal delivery, did you find that to be the case?

One more thing....when your milk came in did it all come in in one shot or more gradually?

My milk came in quickly, almost fully, with no issues even with a C-section and my girls were 6 weeks early. I voted within 2 days.

lizzywednesday
04-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Title says it all.

I had a C-section.

I started pumping rather than nursing within 12 hours of my delivery because the night nurse didn't understand what I'd wanted to do, but the daytime nurses did. (I would like to have more lactation support in that delivery unit, especially on the night shift!)

The colostrum came in by day 2-ish. I continued to pump every 2 hours until I was discharged on day 4. I was pumping milk by the time I was discharged.

This was my first baby, though. Friends and family members who I've talked to seemed to feel their milk came in more quickly with their second and subsequent babies regardless of delivery type.

My biggest recommendation - stay hydrated. The medications they used in my C-section coupled with the dry hospital air really increased my feeling of dehydration (I wasn't dehydrated by definition, but I was VERY thirsty all the time!) so I highly recommend having a water bottle close at hand. (I understand that this may be VERY hard for you. I've been following your posts about this and want to kick the hospital LC and administrators in the head for their outdated attitudes.)

Multimama
04-23-2011, 10:30 AM
I wanted to say that I also think having a scheduled c-section will probably help in the breastfeeding department. I had a c-section after a looooong labor, which makes for a much harder recovery in every way. Hopefully it will be much easier for you because you won't be starting the surgery exhausted.

♥ms.pacman♥
04-23-2011, 11:46 AM
i did not have a C-section, but i couldn't really nurse my DD for the first couple weeks (sHe nursed right after birth but then after that it was a major struggle so I ended up pumping and she was tube-fed in the NICU). My milk came in on day 3 (and i had an epidural and everything). before my milk came in she was given formula since she was a preemie (to help her gain weight) and she reacted horribly to it (projectile vomiting, reflux, major fussiness) so i was soo anxious waiting for my milk to come in. when it finally did it was unmistakeable, as ppl said...i went from pumping a few mL(colostrum) to pumping a few ounces. in a week i was pumping 600 mL a day or something crazy like that (at some point after that i got up to 1 liter per day). she was tubefed my breastmilk mostly for the first 2 weeks or so, then i was able to attempt to nurse her a few times a day when i visited her. my dd is 6wks old now and i'm EBFing her (no bottles, no formula, no longer pumping). so even if your milk takes a few extra days it should not be too bad to overcome.

okinawama
04-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Not sure if you have had your baby yet (we're thinking of you!) but the quickest way to get your milk to come in is nurse every 1-2 hours while baby is awake, and never let them sleep more than 2-3 hours at a stretch. If they are showing signs of wanting to nurse (sucking on fingers, rooting at the breast, crying) nurse them, even if you only fed them 30 minutes ago.

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement! I did have my little guy and we are both home and doing well! Thanks for all the advice!

THANK YOU everyone for your replies!

I am 3 days post partum, and I feel like my milk is *coming* in, but not here completely. I didn't even know if that was a possibility. I've only ever heard stories, like many of you ladies, where they wake up and there is no mistaking that their milk has come in ( engorgement, spraying....the whole shebang)! What comes out is no longer just colostrum, but I'm certainly not feeling all that full. I'm glad to hear that some of you experienced this too, it gives me hope that more milk is on it's way!

I am in contact with my LC from the hospital as well as the LLL leader here, and things started off pretty well. My little guy latched quickly, and is nurses very frequently. However, the latch isn't correct because I'm experiencing some pain as well as one cracked nipple already! I've been experimenting with different holds, and the two women helping here have been great. IT's a bummer that it's a holiday weekend, because they have plans with their family and are unavailable this weekend. We'll keep plugging away with what they've taught me and hope that when I go in for our appointment on Monday we've got things a little more figured out:)

AnnieW625
04-23-2011, 12:28 PM
2 vaginal births and my milk came in right around day 3 to 4 for both girls. With DD1 it was the middle of the night on Saturday morning (she was born on Tuesday). I remember waking up to feed her and thinking wow. With DD2 she was born on a Thursday and I think it came in on Sunday or Monday. I nursed between 2/1/2 and 3 hrs. with both girls.

With DD2 my milk did come in gradually so I don't think it's all that odd. I think I started pumping on Saturday or Sunday night but I wasn't getting much but by Monday or Tuesday it was in 100% and it wasn't nearly as painful as I had remembered with DD1. Honestly when I weaned that was more painful with both girls.

bubbaray
04-23-2011, 01:01 PM
I wanted to say that I also think having a scheduled c-section will probably help in the breastfeeding department. I had a c-section after a looooong labor, which makes for a much harder recovery in every way. Hopefully it will be much easier for you because you won't be starting the surgery exhausted.

Everyone is different, of course, but my milk came in within 2 days (probably 1.5 days) with both girls -- DD#1 was an emergency c/s after a loong, complicated labor. BFg was no harder with her than with DD#2 (scheduled c/s).

Claki
04-23-2011, 09:05 PM
Wow. I had severe oversupply problems and probably related to that is the fact that my milk came in within 14 hours. My doctor was a little surprised when she checked on me the next morning and I was completely engorged. But I never realized how unusual that was.

daisymommy
04-24-2011, 04:08 PM
How old is your baby now?
Here is a helpful breastfeeding/diaper log for you: http://www.kellymom.com/store/freehandouts/breastfeeding-log-2wk.pdf

If he is not getting a good latch, then he can't compress the right part of the breast that causes the milk to come in and flow out. It could be there waiting, and he still wouldn't be able to draw it out. His mouth needs to have a deep latch, so that almost all of your areola is inside his mouth. Only a small outer ring of it should be visible. His lips also need to be flanged out, like a fish.
http://www.drjacknewman.com/video-clips.asp

He should also bee actively sucking for at least 15 minutes per nursing session--minimum. Keep him on one breast until he is full, or (when your milk comes in) that side feels empty.

I would seek help from a lactation consultant, before he gets too dehydrated and jaundiced.
http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3432
http://www.breastfeeding.com/directory/lcdirectory.html
Or look up your local LaLeche League and call them.

Good Luck!

egoldber
04-24-2011, 04:56 PM
If he does not have a good latch, then it is very possible he is not sucking hard enough to completely bring in your milk. This is what happened with my older DD: poor latch, my milk did not come in for 5 days, almost 4 weeks to regain birth weight. Not all babies will fuss when hungry, many will actually sleep too much as a way to conserve calories. But I didn't know this.

I know it is a huge PITA, but if it were me I would pump after every feeding until your milk comes in. With younger DD, I also had a c-section, but she was in the NICU, so I pumped exclusively every 2 hours around the clock and my milk was in in 2 days.

Are you still in the hospital? Is there an LC on staff? If no, I would try to get discharged ASAP.

okinawama
04-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Hmmm, maybe the latch is our entire problem. I've looked at every article, video and picture on latching, and I'm trying to get it right. Sometimes I think it looks perfect, and other times it's very shallow. I just can't figure out how to get him to open his mouth wider ( I've read how, I just can't get him to actually do it!).

I am in contact with a LC as well as a LLL leader. The LC is from the hospital and while there she was helping me, however, she looked at my latch and said that it looked ok, so while I really liked her, I'm not sure if she is the exact person I'm looking for. She's also not board certified, but is the best I can do. The next nearest certified one is over an hour drive away, and currently, that's just not an option. I have a meeting with the LLL leader tomorrow for her to take a look at the latch, maybe I'll give her a call today and just have a phone consult (however, with it being Easter, I feel pretty guilty calling).

I just finished up pumping, and not a drop has come out (this is after a feed). I plan to start pumping after each feed. Beth, how long after you started pumping did you start to see an increase in milk output?

In happier news, my little boy has had 3 poopy (mostly orangish yellow!)diapers (small, but bigger than the quarter size that I've read is the minimum) and 2 wet (they were with the poopy, so I can't be 100% sure exactly how much of it was pee because the poop is so watery.

ohsara430
04-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Hang in there mama! Don't feel bad about calling the LLL leader tonight if you need a phone consult, I'm sure she'd be happy to help. As for a LC, you might have to see a few before you find one that can really help you. Breastfeeding can be so different for women, our bodies are different and each baby is different so it takes some trial and error with LCs too. I haven't read everyone's replies but keep drinking lots of water and I mean LOTS. This was tough for me, but helped immensely. Keep us posted when you can.

catsnkid
04-24-2011, 08:20 PM
DS was an "emergency" c-section after an unsuccessful inducement. He was nursing at least colustrum right after, but they were concerned enough to give him a finger feed. I think it really came in the day we went home 3 days out, got super engorged! thank god I had a breast pump.

pb&j
04-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Easy vaginal delivery, milk came in on day 5 w/DS, and day 3-4 w/DD. Both kids lost a ton of weight (10%+), but gained it right back.

Smillow
04-24-2011, 08:34 PM
I had an emergency c/s on a Thursday night & my milk came in on Monday (possibly Tuesday). DS was born 9#2oz & left the hospital on Sunday @ 8#5oz.

chays
04-24-2011, 09:36 PM
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH BETH.

With DD, she was too sleepy to wake up and eat...so my milk didn't come in and she was losing weight...long story short...I started pumping after EVERY feeding (about 10-15 mins with a good pump) until my milk finally came in. It took 24-36 hrs IIRC for the milk to come in after I started pumping. We also gave her a little formula to get her weight and strength up, but sounds like your little guy doesn't need that.

zag95
04-24-2011, 09:46 PM
You left out the 'other' option :)
Never for me, had to go on drugs to get a few drops of milk for each child.
:yeahthat: I'm in this came- unplanned c/s- baby born with bilateral cleft lip and palate; tried pumping only- never really had much milk per say....... did drugs (fenugreek, domperidone, etc) to help- still would get about 1 oz per pumping session, sometimes more. After 2 mos- I ended my own agony!

egoldber
04-24-2011, 10:07 PM
It sounds like maybe things are turning around for you, if you are now getting more poops. The latch can be fine, but the suck can be weak. This is what happened with my older DD. This can be quite difficult to diagnose, but if you are seeing more poops and if the weight gain turns around, then things are likely fine.

I just finished up pumping, and not a drop has come out (this is after a feed). I plan to start pumping after each feed. Beth, how long after you started pumping did you start to see an increase in milk output?

Unfortunately, with my older DD I didn't know to do this, so my milk was slow to come in, I never really pumped and my supply was always low. It was almost easier with my younger DD because she couldn't nurse at all at first, so I just pumped for the first few days.

How long is he feeding at each feeding? Can you see him sucking and swallowing? If you think he is getting a full feed (20-40 minutes and you can see him suck and swallow), then I wouldn't worry much. But if he is not doing feeds like that, then I would pump 10-15 minutes after each feeding. Even if you see nothing, the extra stimulation will signal your breasts to make more.

Good luck! Having no support over a holiday weekend is wretched. :(

citymama
04-25-2011, 03:57 AM
Hope it's going better for you now, okinawamama! Congrats on the birth of your DS - is he your second or first?

okinawama
04-25-2011, 10:45 AM
I am hoping to see the LLL leader today, which is a relief! I'm so hoping that she has some encouraging words!

In good news, the poopy diaper output is up! YAY!!! yesterday was a total of 4 poopy and three wet, and today we're already up to two poopy and one wet (and it's only 8:30). YAY!! So SOMETHING must be going right...right?

Ah, off to feed him. I'll be back with a couple more ?'s

egoldber
04-25-2011, 12:51 PM
I think that sounds totally normal. Isn't it one poopy diaper for each day of life for the first week and then 6-8 a day thereafter?

Uno-Mom
04-25-2011, 01:06 PM
I haven't read through all the posts so I don't know - how old is your baby? I'm guessing he's a little guy, based on your question.

I will bet you anything that the consultant will help you relax a lot. And then, things might really get flowing! The description of your routine sounds stressful to me, even though you're doing all the right things. Maybe a little encouragment and relaxation will make all the difference.

Sorry, I know from experience that it's totally annoying for people to say relaxing will help these problems! As if it were THAT easy. I know it isn't. But talking with a lactation consultant really did help me relax and take some pressure off myself. And you'll be reassured that any actual problems have been assessed.

Good luck!

Tondi G
04-25-2011, 01:14 PM
Another thing to have checked is a possible tongue tie. My friend had a lot of trouble with latch and her baby not gaining well and having good dirty and wet diapers. Her DS was tongue tied and once they had it clipped, nursing took off and all was well. Good Luck mama.... hope the LLL leader helps you out!!!

okinawama
04-25-2011, 04:28 PM
I spoke to the LLL leader today as well as my LC consultant from the hospital. Both ladies were incredibly encouraging today. Over the phone, both of them thought that things sound within the normal range, they just may be off to a slow start.

I have my pediatrician visit tomorrow where we're going to have him weighed, if he's gaining ( or at least no longer loosing) that will be huge for me! Things went so terribly with my first son (as far as breastfeeding goes) that I think I'm brining all my past guilt and anxiety about breastfeeding into this breastfeeding relationship.

I didn't actually see either the LLL leader or LC , so they couldn't see the latch, but I do plan to see the LLL leader this week just to have her take a look. The latch isn't painful anymore (it's not pain free at the beginning, but Ive read that's normal) I no longer have scabs or open sores on by nipples and I can hear my little boy swallowing...so I think it's getting better. FAR from perfect, but hopefully it's just taking my son and I some time to navigate this whole breastfeeding thing together.

I wish my breasts would get with the program. I think that they are the last piece of the puzzle. I still find it completely odd that there is really no fullness at all in the breasts. The LLL leader did say that it can happen, but still, it seems weird to me. At least if I could feel them being less full than when I began a feeding I would know that he was getting something.

to answer some ?'s....my little guy is 5days old. I know he doesn't have a tongue tie because I had them check immediately after birth, my first son did and I know that it affected breastfeeding.

I am pumping, but it's been incredibly hard to find time. We feed for almost an hour, I pump for 15 minutes, and then I feed my little guy about 45 minutes later. Needless to say, it's a lot, and occasionally makes the next feeding a little tough because I'm fairly empty ( I know I'm not truly empty, but my little guy seems a little more frustrated/dissatisfied after a pumping session).

I'll let you know what the weight is at the appointment. I hope I'll be back with encouraging news.

Uno-Mom
04-26-2011, 12:42 AM
Glad to hear you received comfort and advice today.

Wow, you're doing so much! I hope you can back off the pumping soon. That schedule would have worn me out.

llama8
04-26-2011, 09:08 AM
I had a c-section and my milk never came in at all.

We went with formula with no troubles.

joules
04-26-2011, 01:12 PM
I had a c-section, it took maybe 5 days or so for my milk to come in? Even after it came in, I really don't think I was making enough. I exclusively breast fed for 3 or 4 days and when we went in to weigh him, he hadn't gained any weight. So I was breastfeeding some and supplementing some....but then decided to just exclusively pump since I had no idea what was going on with my breasts I know they say what you pump out is not a good indication of how much you're really making but in my case I really think I wasn't making enough. At first I think I got around 200ml total for a day. I remember thinking if I could make it up to 500ml a day I would be over the moon. I was pumping religiously and each week I could see my numbers go up a bit...maybe about 100ml each week? I finally made it up to 750-800ml a day (about 27 ounces!!). It was really hard work and I have no idea how I'll manage it with the second one. Keep it up!!

okinawama
04-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Just came back to say he's gaining!!!!!:yay: He's up 4oz since Friday, so about an ounce or so a day. The doc said that he doesn't expect gains until 6-10 days after birth, so he's happy with how things are going thus far. I go back in a week for another weight check and hopefully we'll be around his birth weight.

I'm taking it one day (or even feed) at a time, and my short term goal is to just make it to next week. Hopefully all that I'm doing now will pay off!!!

THanks ladies for all your knowledge and support!

LMPC
04-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Just came back to say he's gaining!!!!!:yay: He's up 4oz since Friday, so about an ounce or so a day. The doc said that he doesn't expect gains until 6-10 days after birth, so he's happy with how things are going thus far. I go back in a week for another weight check and hopefully we'll be around his birth weight.

I'm taking it one day (or even feed) at a time, and my short term goal is to just make it to next week. Hopefully all that I'm doing now will pay off!!!

So glad that things are looking up!! Yippee!!!

ahrimie
04-26-2011, 02:45 PM
I didn't read the responses but wanted to chime in because my milk came in REALLY late--nearly 2 weeks. Like you, I just produced really little milk when pumping (maybe a half ounce or 1 ounce for awhile). My ped suggested we start supplementing and per a Lactation consultant, we decided to just pump exclusively until my milk supply increased. It is soo draining on you emotionally and physically trying to nurse from the breast directly when it doesn't work/happen naturally. Cut yourself some slack and as long as you work hard, nursing directly IS doable!

It took about 2 weeks since birth for my milk to come in full force (I was at the hospital for a full week). I just pumped every 2 hours for a good week until the milk came in. After that, I slowly tried to nurse directly. If your baby has true nipple confusion, you can try putting ice to your nipple to make it harder. For me, it truly was SERIOUS work trying to bf. But if you really want to do it, it can be done. :)

Uno-Mom
04-27-2011, 01:08 AM
Good news!

Beth24
04-27-2011, 01:13 AM
So glad to hear your good news!

essnce629
04-27-2011, 02:12 AM

That's awesome! Keep up the good work!