PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have issues with anxiety meds?

egoldber
04-24-2011, 03:39 PM
We did a trial of Zoloft with older DD and it was a disaster. It took the edge off the anxiety, but it also highly exacerbated her impulse control issues. The doctor said sometimes it makes people disinhibited, which is what it did to her. It also made her super lethargic.

Even worse, apparently things totally spiraled out of control at school and we were not informed until things were in a terrible mess. I am pretty furious right now with the teachers, the counselor and the administration.

Anyway, we are now trying a different med, but the doctor warned us that they may all have this effect on her. Has anyone else seen this type of side effect with one med and not another?

wellyes
04-24-2011, 04:03 PM
Aw, sorry that trial didn't work out.

I've tried a bunch of anti-anxiety meds and have had different reactions to them all. I've never had NO reaction, sadly. But it's definitely true that the effects are different, and you can only figure out what works through trial and error.

Lexapro is generally very good for anxiety, maybe try that. I liked it best. Only got off due to pregnancy/bfing issues that will not, hopefully, be a concern for your DD.

Indianamom2
04-25-2011, 10:43 PM
Beth,

I am obviously new to anxiety meds in children, but I thought I'd throw this out there, in case it is something that might help. Our developmental pedi had us check DD's 2D6 level (it's a genetic test). The way I understand it, it helps doctors prescribe meds (particularly anxiety/ADHD meds in kids) more accurately because it shows how quickly the meds exit the body, or conversely, how long the meds stay in the body.

For example, if your daughter has a slower than normal processing time, she may be getting too much of a dose of Zoloft, thus causing more side effects. Or, if she is a quick processor, then she might not be getting enough medicine.

Here's a website that I found pretty helpful for basic info, if you are interested in learning more:
http://www.minnesotamedicine.com/PastIssues/PastIssues2007/January2007/ClinicalMrazekJanuary2007/tabid/1668/Default.aspx

The "only" catch is that it is often not covered by insurance and costs about $1000. We just had it run on DD and are waiting for the results.

egoldber
04-26-2011, 07:53 AM
Christina, I saw your post about that and I find it intriguing. DD has a follow-up with the psychiatrist tomorrow and I will ask. So far, the new med seems to be working better, but it's only been a week.

Melaine
04-26-2011, 07:58 AM
I don't know a whole lot about them and have only tried two. I've had different side effects with both (for me, hopping in from New Posts). I hope you find something that works well with less crazy side effects! That's so frustrating.

Indianamom2
04-26-2011, 09:11 AM
Beth, I will also mention that I have tried a couple different anxiety meds (Paxil, its generic Paroxetine and Buspar) for myself and have had lots of side effects SOMETIMES. The first time I took Paxil, many years ago, I had no major side effects. This last time, I ended up going to the ER because I was having so many, mainly far worse initial symptoms and a major racing heart. Everyone kept telling me that it couldn't be the medicines causing those symptoms, but all I know is that when I took myself off them, the side effects disappeared and I felt much better.

So in short, yep...they can cause all sorts of havoc, even if you've had luck with them in the past. It's the main reason that I wanted DD to have the genetic testing done, because I know that if she has any nasty side effects, she will balk at taking anything else, so I'd rather get medication as right as humanly possible the first time.

egoldber
04-26-2011, 09:28 AM
I have been reading up on the testing and I am going to ask for it. I totally think she is a slow metabolizer and that she is on too high of a dose for her. It also explains her unusual reactions to some other meds like Benadryl (which I also have). I have read a couple things referring to steroids as well (although not consistently) and we have a devil of a time with her asthma meds. I am wondering if this is why.

Indianamom2
04-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Beth,

If I'm not mistaken, I think DD's extreme sleepiness with Benadryl was one of the red flags to the dev. pedi for running the test as well, so it definitely sounds like a possibility.

I hope you can get some answers....maybe this will help us both.

egoldber
04-27-2011, 12:19 PM
I had to push for the test, but she agreed to write the order for it. we're also doing thyroid, vitamin D, iron and several other tests too. Thanks for all the info Christina!

Indianamom2
04-27-2011, 01:15 PM
I had to push for the test, but she agreed to write the order for it. we're also doing thyroid, vitamin D, iron and several other tests too. Thanks for all the info Christina!

Oh goodness, you are more than welcome. I feel like I've learned a lot from the info you've shared over the years about your journey with your daughter, so I'm glad that maybe sharing our issues/testing can help someone else.

Good luck and great job on pushing for testing!

pinkmomagain
04-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Good luck with testing and finding the right medication.

I have had great luck with prozac with 2 of my kids. It's been around a long time. Have not witnessed any bad side effects and helpful with anxiety/depression.

egoldber
04-28-2011, 07:03 PM
So far so good, with the Prozac. It seems to really be helping and so far no side effects.

DrSally
04-28-2011, 11:32 PM
Glad the Prozac is working. Each med will have different SE, and it can be pretty individual. Just b/c you have bad SE with one med, doesn't mean another one won't be better (which seems to already be the case for you). I'm sorry the teachers/admin didn't notify you of her behavioral changes sooner :( Did they know she was on a new med?

egoldber
04-29-2011, 05:28 AM
Yes, they knew (but not which med) and I had specifically told them to please let me know ASAP about any behavior changes. :irked:

Melaine
04-29-2011, 07:39 AM
Prozac is what I used twice for my anxiety. It did seem to work fairly well. I did have side effects but they were weight-gain and sexual, so hopefully it will work great for your DD.

DrSally
04-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Yes, they knew (but not which med) and I had specifically told them to please let me know ASAP about any behavior changes. :irked:

:shake::banghead:
I would be *very* annoyed too.

egoldber
05-26-2011, 10:18 AM
I just wanted to follow up about the 2D6 testing here. She did come back positive one of the 2D6 variants for impaired medication processing. So we are keeping her at her very low dose SSRI right now. It seems to be working for her and the psychiatrist agreed that knowing this, we need to keep her dose low.

Thanks to Indianamom for posting about this!!!

bubbaray
05-26-2011, 10:21 AM
I totally missed this thread. So sorry you've had troubles, Beth. Glad things seem better now.

I'm also sorry to hear the school didn't communicate with you. That is sooooo FRUSTRATING!

Indianamom2
05-26-2011, 01:20 PM
I just wanted to follow up about the 2D6 testing here. She did come back positive one of the 2D6 variants for impaired medication processing. So we are keeping her at her very low dose SSRI right now. It seems to be working for her and the psychiatrist agreed that knowing this, we need to keep her dose low.

Thanks to Indianamom for posting about this!!!

Yay! I'm glad I could help. Hopefully this will be a positive step forward with all medicine dosing. It can't hurt!

I was wondering if you'd gotten the test results back yet. Our DD was not positive, so at least we know that now.

I'm so glad this was helpful.:bighand:

Melbel
05-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Thanks for posting and update Beth. I missed the original thread, but it is helpful on our journey. I am finding that DS is starting to exhibit some depression symptoms on his anxiety medications, so we may be switching over to a SSRI. Did your psychiatrist discuss any pros/cons of Prozac vs. Lexapro? They are both in the same class.

egoldber
05-26-2011, 02:02 PM
No, not really. I was mildly surprised when she suggested Prozac (vs. Lexapro) as the second choice because Zoloft and Lexapro tend to be the "go to" first line meds. But her feeling was that it is an older med, well studied and generally well tolerated. I'm not sure that any one is better than another as long as it works for you.

sste
05-26-2011, 03:21 PM
This is fascinating. Sorry, I don't have a special needs child but I was scrolling down the home page and happened to see Beth's post.

I have had a lifelong sensitivity to tons of medications. I have tried dozens over the years and for me the cure was nine times out of ten (or more) worse than the disease. Not that you have to worry about this yet Beth but for me the sensitivity seems to be not only meds but also hormones, even "natural" ones: pregnancy also threw me both times into complete mood turmoil - - I think I started at least 50 bitching post threads last year when I was pregnant compared to 1 this year. And my periods - - I have PMS no doubt though birth control pills help greatly with that. A few years ago one of DH's colleagues suggested that I might be someone who benefits from "micro-dosing."

Anyway, Beth, so glad to hear your daughter is on a med that is working well!