PDA

View Full Version : Scalp itch help

hillview
04-24-2011, 04:48 PM
My head is SO SO SO itchy. I am like that girl in that commercial who leans over to itch her head. I've been using Head and Shoulders for a couple of months now and washing my hair every day or 2 and if anything it is WORSE (before I was using soap and washing every 4 days or so). What would you suggest?
Thanks!
/hillary

indigo99
04-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Have you been checked for lice? When I get too itchy, that's always what I think of. DH thinks that I'm nuts. Seriously though, H&S is rough on your hair if you use it a lot. I've used the generic brand of the tar shampoo with some luck.

hillview
04-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Ok I read my last post ages ago and need to try apple cider vinegar. I don't think it is lice since I've had this off and on for years. SIGH
/hillary

weech
04-24-2011, 07:36 PM
I have the same issue, but I stopped using H&S because it just totally wrecked my hair. Let me know if the apple cider vinegar works - maybe that'll be what I try next.

Sweetum
04-24-2011, 07:43 PM
I'd say you need to figure out if it's dandruff and if it is, is it powdery or is it flaky. Powdery means dry scalp and flaky means oily scalp. You'll need to proceed with a treatment based on that.

hillview
04-24-2011, 07:49 PM
I'd say you need to figure out if it's dandruff and if it is, is it powdery or is it flaky. Powdery means dry scalp and flaky means oily scalp. You'll need to proceed with a treatment based on that.
I am wondering if it is a fungus (EWWWW).

soon2b4
04-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Have you thought about switching to a dye-free, fragrance-free shampoo? I found a great deal of relief after the dermatologist recommended Free & Clear Shampoo and Conditioner. You can buy it online, though she said some Walgreens or CVS stores carry it.

WatchingThemGrow
04-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Ok, gross as it is...I'll tell you that I got one a couple years ago when I went to a reputable walk-in place all the college kids go to. I thought I was going nuts, so I went to the Minute Clinic at Walgreens and they said they don't treat scalps. They said I had to go to a dermatologist. Sure enough... ewwww. They tried pills for a month, some special shampoo, cleaning brushes daily, etc. So yucky. I think going back would be a good idea for me since every so often I'll get an itch and freak out that it may have come back.

wendibird22
04-25-2011, 09:37 AM
I always have an itchy scalp but it isn't dandruff (no flakes, just itch). I'm using Aveeno shampoo for dry scalp and it works really well and isn't strong like the dandruff shampoos.

http://www.amazon.com/Aveeno-Nourish-Soothe-Shampoo-10-5/dp/B001QT5FNQ

lizzywednesday
04-25-2011, 09:49 AM
I'll do a cider vinegar rinse every few months (speaking of which, I need to get more vinegar) to cut buildup and alleviate scalp itch. I find that it works just fine.

I've also had great luck with Lush's "Soak & Float" soap, which smells like a campfire, but alleviates dandruff & itch. It's a solid shampoo, so it lasts a good long time if you get one of the tins that Lush sells. (Link: http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/hair/solid-shampoos/soak-and-float)

I've also had decent luck with their "Squeaky Green" but I find it's murder on my hair if I use it too often.

pinkmomagain
04-26-2011, 07:58 AM
I had this problem a few years ago and I think that I became very sensitive to ingredients in many shampoos. I had to figure out which shampoos were OK. I switched to a mild baby shampoo for a while until I figured it out.

BTW, at the same time I became very sensitive to most deodorants too.

I would experiment with a mild, hypoallergenic shampoo for a while and see if it helps.

weech
04-26-2011, 08:07 AM
FWIW, I tried the cider vinegar rinse last night and I have considerably less dandruff/flakes (maybe 70% less?) and I haven't scratched my head once.

I may smell slightly of vinegar, but it's worth it :thumbsup:

hellokitty
04-26-2011, 09:01 AM
Maybe it is your diet. Are you eating enough good fats?

soon2b4
04-30-2011, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=pinkmomagain;3122135]I had this problem a few years ago and I think that I became very sensitive to ingredients in many shampoos. I had to figure out which shampoos were OK. I switched to a mild baby shampoo for a while until I figured it out.

BTW, at the same time I became very sensitive to most deodorants too.

:yeahthat: The same thing happened to me...

hillview
04-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Ok I think it may be the chemicals in the shampoo. I am more sensitive to chemicals in soaps in general. I am using nature's gate tea tree oil shampoo and it seems to be getting better ...
/hillary